No medals for U.S and Russian teams at Worlds this year I predict. | Golden Skate

No medals for U.S and Russian teams at Worlds this year I predict.

temperboy28

Match Penalty
Here is a bold prediction I will make. There will be no medals for either Russia or the U.S at Worlds this year. The best chance for both countries is the dance but I predict a France-Canada-Bulgaria podium there in some order shutting out both the top American and Russian teams. This is not what I want neccessarily BTW, it is what I expect will happen.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Russians will definitely win a medal in ice dance. There is no doubt in my mind that this will happen, and there is a 50-50 chance it will be gold. But that will be the only medal the Russians will win at this year's Worlds.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Here is a bold prediction I will make. There will be no medals for either Russia or the U.S at Worlds this year. The best chance for both countries is the dance but I predict a France-Canada-Bulgaria podium there in some order shutting out both the top American and Russian teams. This is not what I want neccessarily BTW, it is what I expect will happen.

This IS a bold prediction. Lambiel's come back has changed the outcomes of the men's event. Evan's medal is in question. He may get bronze or none. I still hold other areas as I said before.

satorare

Match Penalty
Russians can win dance.
They don't worry about singles, so they can put every energy into dance politics.
Americans have to bargain hard with others to save singles' medals.
Their pairs & dance teams have very little hope.
As for singles, if Meissner skates like at Skate America, her great country assures a medal.
Not so sure about Men, though.

Last edited:

Angelluv

Rinkside
I don't think Evan can beat Joubert or Lambiel; however, Daisuke is up in the air. If Daisuke skates clean, Evan is out.

I think Kimmie can medal. I doubt the USA will medal in dance or pairs.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
you don't think evan or kimmie can even medal? I don't know about that. TYhe russians will at least medal in dance. but tha's abou it. thier singles akting leaves a lot to be desired.

I agree with Temperboy except that Russia will get a medal for Dance which is preparation for the gold in Vancouver.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
you don't think evan or kimmie can even medal? I don't know about that. TYhe russians will at least medal in dance. but tha's abou it. thier singles akting leaves a lot to be desired.
Temperboy likes to start threads just to stir things up. Here is the list of threads he has started recently:

These are what top 4 at Olympics should have been!
Lambiel obviously not serious about competiting anymore, fills schedule with shows
Sasha discouraged by judges not giving her major title due to jump errors?
Witt and Thomas-between 86 and 88 2 of most overscored skaters ever?
Why I think Cohen deserved silver in Turin.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
:rofl: ^

There is good and bad in that IMO. More good though because it gets down to the nitty gritty facts. JMO

Anyhoo, BOT-
I think
Kimmie will medal
Evan will medal
and Tanith and Ben will medal.

None of which will be gold JMO. Unless there is some one not going I think are, that is what I see happening.

krenseby

Final Flight
Temperboy likes to start threads just to stir things up. Here is the list of threads he has started recently:

These are what top 4 at Olympics should have been!
Lambiel obviously not serious about competiting anymore, fills schedule with shows
Sasha discouraged by judges not giving her major title due to jump errors?
Witt and Thomas-between 86 and 88 2 of most overscored skaters ever?
Why I think Cohen deserved silver in Turin.

Well, judging by the response these topics got, he wasn't the only one interested in discussing them. To do a rif on a quote from the ever-relevant Hillary Clinton, it takes a village to keep a message-board topic going ;-)

temperboy28

Match Penalty
The Russians will definitely win a medal in ice dance. There is no doubt in my mind that this will happen, and there is a 50-50 chance it will be gold. But that will be the only medal the Russians will win at this year's Worlds.

I disagree. The Russian dance team you are referring to lose to both the Bulgarians and Canadians at the GP final, and after viewing it the Bulgarians had a shaky OD and the Canadians a shaky FD and both still beat them overall. Then at the Europeans the Russians lost to the French. They beat the Bulgarians there but the Bulgarians were politicaly blocked out of a chance of that event according to those I spoke to. While I am predicting the top Americans to not medal in dance as well obviously by my heading, even they would have beaten the Russians in their other meeting(I am excluding the meeting the Russians had a big fall and lost to the Americans)had it not been for a downgraded lift and since then they have a new and improved FD.

temperboy28

Match Penalty
Also while I dont believe Evan Lysacek will win a medal it sure as heck wont be has been Lambiel who stops him from winning a medal. My boyfriend is a big Lambiel fan and was excited to hear he would be competing at worlds but reality is he is a total has been who has no prayer at worlds this year. He has been doing shows and tours while others have been training and landing quads. He doesnt have a wing or a prayer, he should just not bother showing up and making a fool of himself.

I do believe Evan will be pushed off the podium but will probably be by Joubert, Takahashi, and Oda, with Buttle a possability too. Lambiel doesnt stand a chance and should not even be discussed.

temperboy28

Match Penalty

I think Evan and Kimmie could medal, but I also think they wont medal. Evan cant beat Takahashi, Oda, or Joubert if they skate cleanly in short and long programs, Joubert has been on a mission all year and has sufficient time to recover from his foot injury and Takahashi and Oda will be motivated by the home crowd and thus a more likely bet to put it together then normal(especialy erratic Takahashi). Evan having a 1 quad in the long wont overcome Oda's huge short program score, and Oda's GOEs in the long. Asada is too strong for Meissner I think. Ando is more challengeable for Meissner but Ando is too strong in the short program, and in the long they will probably be close but enough to reverse the short program scores. Kim has been very consistent this year without being perfect, Kimmie seems to be saving her best for Worlds but so is Kim who is winning events without skating to her maximum yet.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What happened at Euros and Worlds just points up the fact that the Russians ARE going to medal at Worlds. They medaled at the GPF (bronze) and at Euros (silver). They beat the Bulgarians in the OD at Euros, the Bulgarians and the French in the FD at Euros, and the Canadians in the FD at the GPF, which shows they are in good shape going into Worlds. Their FD has been climbing higher and higher since the beginning of the season:

100.39 Europeans
96.17 GPF
94.99 Cup of Russia
93.13 Cup of China

They lost to the French at Euros by 0.31, and you can be assured that is not going to happen at Worlds. The Russians want that medal, and they are going to get it.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
That Evan (probably) won't medal doesn't mean the US won't medal in the men's event -- it has been years since the man with the World medal was also the Nat champ. This pattern indicates that Johnny will have a great skate (or maybe Ryan -- it's been the Nat silver medalist that has had any World medals the US has won in men's since 2000)

Another issue are injury reports -- on a different threat, it is reported that Yu Na Kim may not be completely recovered, and on another board, I read that Joubert injured his foot.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
If Johnny finishes as high as 6th at Worlds it would be a great Worlds for him. If Bradley finishes in the top 10 at Worlds it will be a great Worlds debut for him. The U.S hopes for a mens medal, and probably their hopes for the next quadrennial for potential mens singles medals, lives and dies with Evan and Evan alone.

nuge

On the Ice
What happened at Euros and Worlds just points up the fact that the Russians ARE going to medal at Worlds. They medaled at the GPF (bronze) and at Euros (silver). They beat the Bulgarians in the OD at Euros, the Bulgarians and the French in the FD at Euros, and the Canadians in the FD at the GPF, which shows they are in good shape going into Worlds. Their FD has been climbing higher and higher since the beginning of the season:

100.39 Europeans
96.17 GPF
94.99 Cup of Russia
93.13 Cup of China

They lost to the French at Euros by 0.31, and you can be assured that is not going to happen at Worlds. The Russians want that medal, and they are going to get it.

I would agree with everything .The russians Domnina/Shabalin are and should get a medal .It all depends on what's going to happen after the sad shocking news of Oksanas father .Whether they will compete at all and what state of mind Oksana is in .I would guess it would be extremely hard to concentrate but then again it is their job and could be a good thing for her to have something to focus on etc .IMO.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty

100.39 Europeans
96.17 GPF
94.99 Cup of Russia
93.13 Cup of China

How I am envision the situation by now now is that Domnina/ Shabalin are the only true locks for a dance medal this year. I dont believe they are locks for the gold, but they will win a medal of some color, maybe gold, perhaps
silver, possably even bronze(though only bronze at this point I doubt). The way I see it as the other 4 top teams-Dubreuil/Lauzon, Belbin/Agosto, Denkova/Stavinski, and Delobel/Schoenfeldner fighting for 2 other medals available. Not neccessarily only the silver and bronze since as I dont think Domnina/Shabalin have a lock on the gold this year, but I do believe they have a lock on one of the medals. Of course they could also win gold.

Last edited: