USFS: Morgan Matthews & Max Zavozin end their dance partnership | Golden Skate

USFS: Morgan Matthews & Max Zavozin end their dance partnership

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, that's too bad. It sounds like they had differences they couldn't work out!! Maybe it's for the best.

Dee

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gee, I'm so sorry to read this. :cry: I really liked this team, but I hope that they'll both be able to find partners soon to continue skating as dance teams.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Well, at least they will both continue to skate. Morgan said sayonara eh? HUMMMMMM? What did Max do / not do? I liked them but I felt she was a little above him, maybe I just like her smile so much I didn't notice him, but I have got to wonder - what / who / how / why?..... Morgan and Garret? If that was to happen, he better not be chucking Morgie to far too. :scowl:

I don't mean that as a bash to Garret, he is impressive, but if he gets a new partner, I hope that he doesn't get her used to one distance and height, then start working out and change the distance to a longer throw and the whole season .......;)

And If he went to dance...???? Problem solved - let's see your twizel Garret!

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Um, Garrett Lucash is a pair skater ;). I believe he's coaching these days and may have retired from competitive skating (following his shoulder surgery?).

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he's much better than her, IMHO...

I think you're being extremely unfair to Garrett, Sean. You're making it sound like Katie was forced to be flung some dangerous height, when from what I read/could tell, they both wanted to be competitive... to blame their split based on that and not the other circumstances is a bit harsh.

Anyway, I wish both skaters the best - I don't see Morgan going from ice dance to pairs... I assumed you brought Garrett up because the article did, but after reading it I'm wondering where you got the idea she'd go to pairs?

this is quite shocking, but when skaters have a rough patch or two in their career they tend to do something drastic...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
he's much better than her, IMHO...
I must be smile struck. I don't doubt my opinion is greatly skewed by her smile. Sorry, a pathetic sapasauris I am.:agree: You are probibly right.
I think you're being extremely unfair to Garrett, Sean. You're making it sound like Katie was forced to be flung some dangerous height, when from what I read/could tell, they both wanted to be competitive... to blame their split based on that and not the other circumstances is a bit harsh.
I really don't mean to sound like that, but I will say that I do not believe for one second that it was Katy's flaws that caused the split / end. He started a heavier weight training program and incurred more strength in the middle of their season. He had more strength and hence threw her a distance and with more power then they had trained with. This was not a good time for this change to occur, nor was it necessary for Garret to start that regimen at that time. WHO EVER made this decision it was not a productive one. I also believe it threw off his holding stance for I notice a few toe taps between the two on dismounts - his foot was the one that seems to have been in the way, like it was never before and now suddenly....???? I like them both as a team - well did - but the 06 Nats said Garret changed his technique and it did not work - not that I minded Hinz and Parch going - but I was hopeful for Katy and Garret.

How did anyone get the impression I meant Morgie to pairs or not think I was saying Garret to Dance when I said
And If he went to dance...???? Problem solved - let's see your twizel Garret!
????

Anyway, I wish both skaters the best - I don't see Morgan going from ice dance to pairs... I assumed you brought Garrett up because the article did, but after reading it I'm wondering where you got the idea she'd go to pairs?
I would think Garret in Dance:yes: , I think it would be good for him. I thought of him because I have not heard of him getting a new partner for sure and would like to see him with someone, but I do think dance might work for him, as far as I can tell, I thought he had great skating skills, and without throws I see no flaw with him at all.
this is quite shocking, but when skaters have a rough patch or two in their career they tend to do something drastic...
I think that is just life in general. Being over cautious too can be "drastic." Any change is. I hope this works out for Morgie Max - and saw a possibility for Garret and Morgan for some reason????? Maybe I just want to see Garret skating with someone again?

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i was just going to post this myself. I am stunned. Really am. I guess not making the world team this year was the last straw and she lost any hope for them. I assume they would not be doing and Grand PRix Events, after thier placement at Natioanls, so she got dicuraged. I am really surprised, after all that everyone said about them and how good they were.

I don't want to sound mean or nit picky, but Morgan and Max never really had that chemistry together like Tanith and Ben and other teams do. They didn't really relate to eachother.. maybe know i see why. They were not getting along that well off-ice.

Dyan

On the Ice
Tinymavy15, I have to agree to disagree with you regarding M&Z's chemistry. ;)

The first time I saw Morgan and Max skate during the 04/05 season I felt that they had "it" and a wonderful ballet influenced look to them. I love Morgan's beautiful body line and elegance and felt she was the best female dancer in the U.S.

B&A also have great chemistry; their "it" is just packaged differently.

I still think that M&Z looked good together but I will admit that the chemistry had decreased somewhat. What seemed to be plaguing M&Z was more on the technical sides with all the errors that plagued them over the past few seasons. Just from reading the article M&Z weren't seeing eye to eye and if the personal relationship and/or ideas regarding the training situation are suffering it's bound IMO to affect how they came across on the ice.

Anyway their breakup saddens me as M&Z's FD was one of my favorites this season and I was still (maybe naively) hoping that whatever the problem was it could be corrected. I felt that M&Z were good enough to make a fresh start of things next season and compete with the other teams to try and gain a spot on the world team.

I wish both Morgan and Max the best of luck and hope both can find new partners.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Soooooooooo sad....

As to chemistry - I think their programs were often a bit more difficult than what they could execute while still considering anything else. BTW, I felt that B&A had a similar problem in their first few years together. I do with them both luck, but still wish they stuck it out...

They had zero rapport between them. Both had faults that the other could not correct. It's a proper split.

Oh for Silverstein and O'Meara to come back.

Joe

scs

Rinkside
Someone, on the thread about the Senft/Gislason split, suggested that he should team up with Morgan. Did that person know something we didn't....?! Any thoughts on the odds of this happening? The issue of citizenship would be a major problem with the Olympics coming up.

heyang

Record Breaker
I'm not really surprised. They entered Seniors with really high expectations that weren't met. Really good results, but I think a lot less than they wanted considering their previous successes. I can only imagine that this lead them in different directions with regards to how they each wanted to deal with it.

I never saw a great connection between the 2 of them, but I've only watched them at Sr Nationals.

About Orsher and Lucash calling it quits, I got the feeling at the time that it was just too difficult to keep up the training, especially financially. Having narrowly missed their shot at the Olympics, but with a national championship in their pocket, my impression was that they felt there just wasn't much point in hanging on through another four year cycle.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Morgan is by far the better dancer of the pair, and I think she felt Max was holding her back.

Jhar55

Medalist
Ok I know this has nothing to due with the topic BUT, Toni love your pictures on your threads the one you have have may leave some to ask just what is Ben doing ;) I know it's not what it looks like. :laugh:

layman

On the Ice
I was worried about this couple after seeing their US Nationals performance. They seemed to have regressed a little bit or lost confidence in themselves. I think that disastrous fall at the Olympic Trials (which cost them a berth at the games) may have been psychologically damaging to the team.

I really liked this couple. They skated with speed and a lot of technical difficulty. They must have been doing something right because they beat Virture and Moir to become the Junior World Champions. I actually think that Morgan and Max had a great relationship with one another on the ice. It was not the "cutesy" kind that we see with Tanith and Ben but the serious kind that we often see with Russians like Navka and Kastamarov.

I think American couples have not yet learned the secret to the Russian's success (which is simply to stick together) and until they do, the American teams will remain second fiddle to the Russians.

I think that Morgan was just a bit better than Max technically, but I don't know of anyone else in the US at her level except perhaps Ryan O'Meara.

Anyway, I wish both Morgan and Max all the success in the future.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I'm not really surprised. They entered Seniors with really high expectations that weren't met. Really good results, but I think a lot less than they wanted considering their previous successes. I can only imagine that this lead them in different directions with regards to how they each wanted to deal with it.

I never saw a great connection between the 2 of them, but I've only watched them at Sr Nationals.

I agree. I'm not surprised at all. When I first saw them skate, I felt they had potential but never really were able to achieve it. IMHO, I never saw any chemistry...Hmmmm

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IHow did anyone get the impression I meant Morgie to pairs or not think I was saying Garret to Dance when I said ????

because you brought up him throwing her, dancers don't do throws... and because he's a pairs skater... she'd have to wait for him to test up to her level, I don't think either wants do have that...

as for Katy or Garrett splitting up, they were both frustrated with their skating and other things - money being one - long before the 06 nationals... it was just the final straw.

Ok I know this has nothing to due with the topic BUT, Toni love your pictures on your threads the one you have have may leave some to ask just what is Ben doing ;) I know it's not what it looks like. :laugh:

Yeah last year at nationals I was clicking away and it wasn't until we started looking at them that we found the naughty shot... so then all the girls in my group had to get one on their camera. It was hilarious!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
because you brought up him throwing her, dancers don't do throws...
Are you patronizing me again?:laugh: J/K :laugh: Of course I know that. :p The two paragraphs in my first post clearly indicate my awareness of such. But both of them need to be read.:thumbsup:
and because he's a pairs skater... she'd have to wait for him to test up to her level, I don't think either wants do have that...
Way to go an be all realistic and stuff:p :laugh: That is a truth though, that does remove the possibility, I guess he'll stick with coaching.:agree:

So what are Morgie and Max's choices. Are there skaters out there that could be a possibility for them? If the "possibility skaters" are talented enough to skate with either one of them someone probably knows of them now. Who could they "hook-up" with to keep competing / improving / reach a point without each other?

Will they some day compete against each other? When / Has that happened before?

I still think Morgie was the better of the two:p :laugh:

Last edited: