Thanking U.S. Military Services for Defending Our Freedom | Golden Skate

Thanking U.S. Military Services for Defending Our Freedom

M

mmandel

Thanking U.S. Military Services for Defending Our Freedom

Please visit the Department of Defense web page below and sign in thanking the men and women of the U.S. military services for defending our freedom. The compiled list of names will be sent out to our soldiers at the end of the month. So far, there are only about 2.9 million names. What a shame...... National Military Appreciation Month.
The entire exercise takes 10 seconds...literally.
Please pass it on to your email friends.

www.defendamerica.mil/nmam.html

S

sk8cynic

Re: Thanking U.S. Military Services for Defending Our Freedo

Mmandel,

Thank you for posting this link. Let's all hope for a safe, quick, and healthy return.

S

sk8guy2k2

7,518,372 people have signed to date.

D

DaGurl

Oh, you mean we should thank U.S Military Services for murdering innocent iraqians.

M

mmandel

Response deleted as to not bash another board for their ignorance and possible bigotry.

N

Nadya Lyubova

Mmandel, how about you talk to their admins or moderators first before bashing another board in public? Check your PMs.

S

sk8cynic

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Oh, you mean we should thank U.S Military Services for murdering innocent iraqians.[/quote]

DaGurl,

Mmandel may correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was not a thread to start yet another heated argument about the ethics of this war. It was a thread to support our soldiers, even if one may disagree with our government's decision.

The soldiers that are in the Middle Eastern theatre did not make the decision to start this action. If you have a disagreement with that decision, it should be directed toward the appropriate parties.

And as for our soldiers murdering innocent Iraqis, I'd bet my membership here that the number of civilians injured or killed through the course of ousting the Hussein regime will be microscopic compared to the number of Iraqi citizens that regime has arrested, tortured, and murdered over the course of time. I'm not even including the number of Kurds that he killed with chemical weapons after the Gulf War. Loss of life is tragic in any circumstance, but your comment gives the impression that you feel that the American government is as tyrranical and murderous as Hussein himself, and I if that is indeed how you feel, then I must respectfully disagree with you.

Finally, while I don't have a problem with people posting their opinions about what is happening over there, I do think that if someone has an opinion, be it pro or con, it should be supported with an explanation as to why one feels that way . Simply posting a sarcastic retort only fuels the opposing POVs.

G

Grgranny

Well said Cynic. Even if we disagree with what they are doing, we can still support our people over there. They may disagree with it also but have no choice as to what they do. Also, we can still support all their loved ones that have been left here.

K

Kasey

Thank you, for posting this thread, and allowing me to copy the link to send on.

I truly don't believe this was meant to be yet another pro-war vs. anti-war thread. No one here is "thanking" the troops for 'murdering Iraqis'.

However, the US military is one of the most underappreciated and underpaid occupations in our nation. Of course, here in America, many of our priorities ARE skewed, to the point where they will never be righted. High schoolers who can shoot a basketball will CONTINUE to sign multi-million dollar contracts that they can't read. Actors and actresses will continue to earn 3, 5, 7 million dollars a movie, even for BADDDDDDD movies! (most of them, I think). And successful recording artists will do the same, earning many millions of dollars for having a certain talent that is marketable. I'm not against these folks profiting from their talents...but all of us have them....we just don't get as adequately compensated!

When I was in basic training for the Air Force, our TI asked all of us what our military jobs were going to be....some said "intelligence", some said "Security", some said "mechanic" or "Maintenance" or "I don't know"....he said, Nope, you're all wrong. Your jobs in the military are to kill and die. That's it. Whether you are a cook or computer operator, a foot soldier or a medic, THAT is what you are primed to do in the military...fight to protect our country, give your life for it if necessary, and kill another if necessary.

Pretty heavy duty job description....and a loyalty oath as well, to protect this country against all enemies, foreign or domestic.

The troops didn't make the choice to go to war, our president and his advisors did. The troops are doing their jobs, their sworn duties. THAT is who I support most of all....
Kasey

M

mmandel

This thread BY NO MEANS was intended to be bad in anyway. If anyone wants to show support they can. That's it.

J

Joesitz

I was watching the anti-war demonstrators today in NYC. Big big crowd by the way. The signs read, we support our boys but we are against the war. Bring the boys home.

Joe

M

mathman444

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"And as for our soldiers murdering innocent Iraqis, I'd bet my membership here that the number of civilians injured or killed through the course of ousting the Hussein regime will be microscopic compared to the number of Iraqi citizens that regime has arrested, tortured, and murdered over the course of time."[/quote]

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, Sk8Cynic. So far -- three days into the war -- you seem to be right. None of my greatest fears has come true. The Iraqis have not tried to fight back, the other Arab and Islamic states haven't done anything alarming, terrorist organizations do not seem to be trying to take advantage of the situation.

In fact, it makes me wonder whether Iraq really has all those hidden weapons of mass destruction after all.

Like I say, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mathman

G

Grgranny

I thought maybe they were between a rock and a hard place. If they use them, everyone will know they had them. If they don't, they lose.

S

sk8cynic

Mathman,

So far none of my major fears have been realized yet, either.

About the WMD: I have a more faith in US intelligence after that surgical strike on Wednesday night. I may be wrong, but I don't think the US would have gone in there if they didn't have concrete proof.

Joe,

I'm happy to see that the protesters in NYC carried signs that supported our troops. One of my biggest concerns is that there will be a repeat of backlash anger toward veterans like there was after Vietnam. I'm hoping and praying that won't be the case.

J

Joesitz

And according to a press briefing, one commander said that so far No Weapons of Mass Destruction have been found. That was the purpose of the war, at least the excuse for the war. And that puts the French and Russians in a good light.
But I am patient. Maybe the mass destruction weapons will show up.

Joe

P

pati

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Maybe the mass destruction weapons will show up[/quote]

What difference would it make Joe? Most anti war protesters are already claiming it will be planted evidence.Therefore they will only believe what they want to believe-its a done deal.How convenient :rolleyes: (I am NOT attributing this to you Joe-unless that is where you stand)
The purpose of this war is to remove Saddam's regime from Iraq and return Iraq to its people-oil and all.I fully support this and our troops and President Bush.After 12 years of non-compliance it seems pretty clear to me it is justified.It has been reported that aid is being sent in to the people asap.The war isn't even over and already life is improving for the Iraqi people.Saddam sure as heck didn't care whether or not his people ate and/or got medical aid.
What is sickening is the latest reports that the Iraqi army is herding the women and children to be used as shields.I think any decent human being will object to that,but how many will blame it on Bush?
My thanx and admiration to all the troops fighting for freedom!

M

Mathman3

Off topic -- Pati, I love your rose!

Mathman

G

Grgranny

How did you figure out it was a rose? To me it just looks like a blob and hadn't been able to figure it out at all!

M

mathman444

You must not have very good graphics, Granny. If you want, you can download it as a gif file and watch the lovely rosebud open and bloom over and over. (Right click on the rose, select "save as.")

Mathman

J

John King

W.O.M.D.

Well,I heard on the news that Saddam Hussein fired some of those alledgedly nonexistant missiles at our troops.