On A Lighter, Non-War Related Note..... | Golden Skate

On A Lighter, Non-War Related Note.....

S

sk8cynic

On A Lighter, Non-War Related Note.....

I have been thinking about the "degrees of separation" between celebrities and the rest of us commoners and how close we are connected to them.

Who here has degrees of separation from the famous? NON-SKATING, that is. For example:

My old dart teammate's brother in law used to date Vanessa Olivarez from this season's American Idol.

My sister's acting/theatre group just added a member to their ensemble cast who, turns out, is Tamyra Gray's brother.

Little sister's friend from college is Nicole Kidman's personal assistant.

My friend D. from high school was hired as Kevin Costner's kids' nanny.

Etc. etc. etc. Anyone out there have similar degrees?

L

Ladskater

Re: On A Lighter, Non-War Related Note.....

I am afraid I am as about as far removed from someone famous as the Arctic is to the Antartic. No "claim to fame" here. Although I once met Toller Cranston and talked to Karen Magnussen at a Skate Canada competition and Torvill and Dean's Russian interpreter (they were touring with a Russian cast) stayed at my mom's home when they were performing in Victoria.

Ladskater

J

Jules Asner

this is weird, I was just thinking about the six degrees of separation yesterday. A friend of mine worked with "Jake" from Road Rules (MTV) so I'm connected by 2 or 3 links to everyone who's ever been on Real World or Road Rules, and pretty much anyone who's ever been on MTV or in the music biz with 6. Another person I know is friends with one of the stars of a show on ABC, so I'm linked by 3 people to Tom Hanks, by no more than 4 to Jack Nicholson and between the two, I would say everyone in Hollywood/showbiz, including Kevin Bacon. I also know an acting student whose worked with emmy award winning directors on stage so there's more connections with that world. Another person I know is cousins with a minor league baseball player, Plus I know someone who knows someone in the Yankee organization. so that's most of MLB taken care of. I am also linked to the woman married to the ex-husband of Cybil Shepherd.
I have a cousin who's lived and worked all over the world in the peace corps so I'm linked to people in third world countries. I have other relatives living in australia, europe and all over the US as well. I have friends who are originally from France and Lebanon so there is a connection there. It's amazing when you really start to think about how closely we all are connected to each other.

and speaking of Vanessa Oliverez, I just saw her this morning - she was on the Today show. Weird huH?

I can connect myself to her as well.
1. person I know at ABC
2. David E. Kelly (producer of show)
3. Tamyra Gray from American Idol (she's on David E. Kelly's show Boston Public now)
4. Simon Cowell (judge of Tamyra Gray in American Idol),
5. Vanessa Oliverez
6. the guy you know who used to date her

S

sk8cynic

Forget Golden Skate, now we know how we really know each other !!!!!

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

N

nthuz

Got one:

My mother had dinner with John Zimmerman's parents.

Y

Yurisgirl

My husband's grandmother knew Debbie Reynolds, and Carrie Fisher babysat my husband when he was little (before Carrie hit it big in the movies).

K

Kasey

My mom went to high school with Meryl Streep. That's it! I've met a few people, and gotten some autographs (mostly baseball players), but I have about fifty billion degrees of separation from fame! :)

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:navy;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">When I was a very little girl, I met Carl Reiner at the airport and asked him if he wanted to see my new underwear! I, of course, have no recollection of this event, but it's legend in my family. (Fortunately, he politely declined!)</span> :eek:

<span style="color:maroon;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">I went to college with a boatload of celebrities' children: Alan Alda's daughter, Beatrice (she looked like her dad but had limited acting abilities); Ted Kennedy, Jr. (too many wild stories); Johnnie Carson's late (I believe) stepson, Tim (nice guy); Jim Fixx's son ("Hi, I'm John Fixx; my Dad wrote the book on running". Also, he sold me his guitar)--to name a few. Also, I went to college with a well known Hollywood screenwriter ("Batman" etc.) who, ironically, thought that I was the better writer in our freshman English class!!! He had long curly hair and is now fairly bald. Also, a college friend won a Tony several years ago as Best Featured Actor. He was easily the most talented actor I'd ever met in college and one heck of a nice guy.</span>

<span style="color:purple;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">I worked for seven years for the brother in law of a big-time Hollywood producer. His business was completely unrelated to show biz.</span>

<span style="color:green;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">My brother was captain of the track team when a gawky freshman named Conan O'Brien joined the team. I was in class with one of his older brothers--Luke.</span>

<span style="color:teal;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">I think that's it. I dare anyone to beat that underwear story!</span> :rollin: :lol:

S

Show 42

These are tough to beat, but I'll give it a shot.....I met Walt Disney when I was 5 years old, in fact he helped me onto a ride at Disneyland........42

S

sk8cynic

When I was growing up (in the 70's in the city of Atlanta), I was invited to a friends house to play with her, plus with another little girl who was coming over for a 'special' visit. Little did I know how special that visit was.

When I got there I couldn't figure out why there were these strange men hanging out at Renee's house. When I went inside, I learned why. The 'special' friend was Amy Carter, who went to school with Renee when Jimmy was Governor of Georgia.

I don't really remember too much about it, except that Amy was a little bit of a snot who had no trouble whatsoever reminding us that her daddy was the President and that she could do or go wherever she wanted because of that fact.

G

Grgranny

I kept thinking I had nothing and then I remembered that my husband knew Johnny Carson in college. He was a snot.

M

mmandel

I was Michael Gross' nurse, when he was admitted to a hospital that I worked at. This was my only personal experience with a celebrity.

One of my previous employees was Val Kilmer's private nurse.

Both have ties to NM.

D

dlksk8fan

When I was little about 1966 (I was 7 yrs old) my sister was in a local production in So Calif of the Wizard of Oz. She was a munchkin and Connie Stevens was dorothy. This local theater did plays with a lot of famous stars of the time. One was Jack Benny. He was back stage one rehearsal and all us kids ran to him for his autograph. Instead of signing our papers he began screaming to get these kids away from him! I guess he didn't like kids. Connie Stevens was a doll and very sweet. My mom has a picture of my sister sitting on her lap.

When I was a teenager I performed and met the Queen and Prince of Denmark.

Jack-La-Lane and his wife live in Morry Bay, CA. and I had the pleasure of meeting them at a fund raiser at Hearst Castle. I hope I look that good at their age.

My husband has done business and sold gyms to, Clint Eastwood, Arnold Swarzenegger, Lee Majors, Cher, Ali MgGraw, Farrah Fawcett, Rodney Dangerfield, Ed McMahon, George Hamilton, Robin Cousins. He even got the chance to go the the Play Boy Manson more then once to set up a gym there.

Our friends live two doors down from Kurt Cameron. Never have met him but his dog was out loose last weekend causing trouble with my friends 5 dogs.

Show-the man himself helping you into a ride. Did someone get a picture of that?

S

Show 42

No, drat, even though my sister had her little brownie camera dangling from her wrist........the ride attendant who was with Mr. Disney said something like......"say hi to Walt Disney girls, he owns the park".......he was a very nice gentleman.....42

J

Jules Asner

I forgot to mention.........I know 2 secret service agents so I am connected by 1 person to Clinton and Bush, and by just 2 people to Monica Lewinsky. How 'bout that?
:cool:

S

sk8er1964

Ok, those are really good. Mine are not as good, but here they are...

My dad went to college and acted with Lily Tomlin. Jerod Swallow's brother was in my class in high school. My coach has taken lessons from several elite skaters. That's about it. Saw the Queen of England getting out of her car at Windsor Castle and Queen Mum driving through Hyde Park, but didn't meet them.

M

mathman444

Went to college with Lili Tomlin? That would be the very college that I teach at! My wife went to both the same college and the same High School as Lili Tomlin. (In her show about Search for Intelligent Life in the Universe, Lili claims (incorrectly) to have been the last white cheerleader at that school.) My wife's sister went to school with Stevie Wonder.

Mathman

M

mike79

My cousin hung out with Paul McCartney in Jamaica.

A

anastasiabeaverhoussen

Cool

Tell us more about your cousin hangin with a Beatle!!

P

Ptichka

Re: Cool

My aunt (actually my 2nd cousin once removed) in Moscow was in charge of hosting a banquet on belalf of Kodak for a Movie Festival when Richard Gear was the chairman of the judging panel.