Oscar Thoughts | Golden Skate

Oscar Thoughts

K

Kara Bear

Oscar Thoughts

I just watched 6 hours of Oscar coverage...my head hurts
Kidman's win was great as well as Brody's...he gave a great speech. As for Michael M....
Any thoughts?

A

Aloft02

Re: Oscar Thoughts

No surprise really, after all, being 'in your face' with social commentary and vocal opinion is what won Mr. @#%$ the Oscar in the first place ("Bowling for Columbine"). It was his forum to use as he deemed appropriate.

(Personally I'd rather hear a heartfelt opinion and warm thanks than the superficial 'thank my dance teacher and everyone I ever met' type speech.)

Adrian Brody's reaction and speech was especially moving for me. I enjoyed the whole show, except I was dissappointed with the Best Song category. I think Steve Martin did a good job with only a couple of groaners.

Edited because when printed, Mr. @#%$ became Mr. swear word for some reason...spooky weird!! :eek:

A

Aloft02

It did it again!!!! :eek: Let me ty this... Mr. @#%$, Julianne @#%$...test-test-test.

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I was watching E! liove coverage all day, so every hour I was getting more and more hyped for the Oscars.

I thought the show was very well done with a great set. Steve Martin was a good host this year, but he was better in the 2001 telecast.

I liked how before the Acting categories, they showed all the past Oscar winners. What I didn't like was that they didn't show any clips of the nominated actors and their reactions to the clips.

I'm happy for all of Chicago's wins.

Spirited Away was a great Animated Feature, but poor Lilo and Stitch.

I'm disappointed for Meryl, although Catherine was excellent and deserved it too (Didn't anyone else notice Kathy Bates's less than pleasant reaction to her not winning ;) ).

Chris Cooper, very happy for him! :D

Nicole Kidman was very pretty, too bad Julianna @#%$ didn't win.

Big surprise for Adrien Brody, I'm delighted for him. If Nicolas Cage wouldn't have gotten it, I'm happy Brody did.

Happy for the Screenplay winners, although I was split between Adaptation and The Hours, maybe that's how Pianist won.

Very surprised about Roman Polanski for director. So happy for him! Academy showed great taste in honoring substance over hype (Scorcese).

Also, Micheal M-O-O-R-E said the same speech at the IFP Independent Spirit Awards, so maybe he was booed not only by Bush supporters, but by ppl who wanted to hear a different speech ;) .

A

Aloft02

Why does @#%$ do that?? :rollin: Oh well, @#%$ it.

B

BronzeisGolden02

Mostly Great

I also watched all of the telecast and thought it was very good this year. Nicole Kidman's win was the highlight for me, I was hoping for it to happen and I'm so happy for her. Personally, I found Michael M.'s comments to be distasteful for all of the reasons I stated in the Dixie Chick thread. It was his personal freedom to say those things, but that wasn't the point of this Awards show. It was to honor great performances and achievements in an entertainment field. Not to jump at the chance to share unrelated views with an audience of millions. I watch the Academy Awards because I love films and I like to see great achievements being rewarded. I could care less how Nicole, Halle, Jack, etc or any other performers feel about politics or even skating (lol!). I'm more than happy to hear them discuss the sector of their lives that directly involves them....their craft. No entertainers and politics for me thanks, they just don't mix.

F

FetalAttraction

Most offensive show ever!

I am like so unbelievably offended! Some Mexican actor, a Spanish director and a Detroit documentary fatso said anti-war things at the Oscars! This is just more proof that Hollywood is full of degenerate liberals! These people are only supposed to say lines other people wrote for them, not voice their own opinions. Voicing opinions is only exclusively for Fox News Channel newscasters and generals acquited of war crimes. We need a war on California!

How dare these damned liberals criticize politicians for political reasons for free? Why can't they be like conservative Michael Savage who gets paid for making fun of Desert Storm mastermind and democrat Norman Schwarzkopf's prostate cancer on Savage's radio show? How dare they find their own time to voice opinions different from the 10 news channels run by conservatives? I am outraged, just outraged! I am so mad I am going to keep watching the Oscars 'cause I want to keep whining about celebrities (whose names don't start with B and end with ill O'Reilly) with active opinions.

I take it back, Hollywood isn't that bad. The people at the Oscars booed an anti-war speech and cheered a fugitive pedophile. They're starting to reallize opposing things non-Republican and supporting things R. Kelly-ish is the way to live. Maybe we'll spare some of them in the War on Cali.

G

guinevere

oscar oscar oscar!

WOO HOO!
I just won for the 2nd year in a row at my friend's annual Oscar party! I get a cheesy Oscar replica and everything (along with fun gift bag items and a gift cert to a local film fest).

Thoughts:

These upsets made me really happy, even though I didn't guess them correctly: Adrien Brody Best Actor (yea!!), The Pianist Best Screenplay, "Lose Yourself" Best Song

Categories I was happy about that I guessed: Nicole Kidman Best Actress, Spirited Away Animated Feature, Chris Cooper Supporting Actor (no surprise there of course), Bowling for Columbine!

At our event we were all split about what we thought about the director's thank you, but I can only think: What did they THINK he was going to do?!? Especially if he did the same thing at an earlier acceptance speech?

Best of all - no Renee Zellweger win!

guinevere

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

Re: oscar oscar oscar!

I never understood why there was such a big backlash against Renee. Sure she isn't the best singer or dancer, but she had great heart, and I could tell by the way she was singing that she understood her character very well. I rather have somebody feel what they are singing, than to have someone sining as loud and long as she can.

I thought Renee was excellent as Roxie. Roxie wasn't supposed to be the best dancer or singer, she just wanted to be famous. I love her rendition of the song "Roxie"

G

guinevere

renee

I didn't know there was a backlash against Renee - I thought I was definitely in the minority on this one.

For me it's not so much <em>this movie</em>, but that I really do not care for her acting at all, in any movie. Her voice, her expressions - they eclipse any acting that might be going on. Additionally , she looks an awful lot like Jewel (who I'm not that fond of either), and anytime I see Renee in a movie, I fear that she's going to start yodeling or spouting bad poetry!

JMO!

guinevere

S

sk8m8

Re: renee&julianne

This was Julieanne's second best actress nomination and also Renee's second best actress nomination. Both are terrific acrtresses, I feel that the next time either one of them is nominated with a great performance, the ocsar will go to one of them.

This was Nicole's thrid nod and I guess thrid time IS a charm. Quite frankly, this years nominees was one of the deepest fields in a long time. The three ladies and Selma and Diane were all terrific and anyone could have deservedly taken the statue home. Seems it was Nicole's "turn" and I am happy for her success.

There seemed to be a lot of ,"well it's ok that______won, but _______ just as well could have taken it"

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

Re: renee&julianne

Oh, I agree. This really was a deep Ladies field.

W

WindSpirit5

First of all, I'm <strong>thrilled</strong> for Adrien Brody! It really made my day. I was very surprised that Polanski got an Oscar, but I'm happy for him. I was hoping for Best Picture, though. I loved it when Adrien gave it all when he kissed Halle Berry, LOL! I would've loved to see her husband's face at that moment. :rollin: (from what I've heard he's been cheating on her a lot).

I'm glad Chris Cooper got an Oscar. And Nicole Kidman, and Peter O'Toole. :) Loved his speech and I love him. What a great actor. I can't stand Renee Zellweger. Not for her singing, but for her idea of "acting" (the constipated look and weak, dollish "sexy" voice), and for her usual face expression, as someone called it: "I smell poo poo". I haven't seen Chicago yet, so I'm not talking about her role there, but of many of her roles, especially in "Jerry Maguire", and her usual behavior at awards ceremonies.

As for Michael M-o-o-r-e (what's so bad about <em>this</em> word?? you can write ass, and the like), I don't like Bush, etc., but that lack of class was painful to watch. Loved the joke Martin made about him. Others made their feelings known without making an ass of themselves.

Btw, Martin's speech was very boring. Later he said a few funny things, but overall it was... well, boring. I miss Billy Crystal, it was his show.

Oh, and has anyone noticed how strange Diane Lane's eyes looked? Either she was wearing some strange contacts or she <em>did</em> have very dilated pupils.

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:green;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">Once again we need to let you know that there used to be a very cruel tyrannical poster here and M-O-O-R-E was her last name. She threatened to sue Paula blah blah blah and now we cannot post that word on the board. No great loss.</span>

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I like Steve better than Billy. Steve's humor is more high-brow and witty, wheras Billy is funny in the beginning, then runs out of steam.

I really think Steve was better in the 2001 telecast, though. He had great moments, like the bit where he said he thank all the women who slept with him and didnt' brag about it and it showed all these women, a couple (Ted Dansen and his wife), and a man.

R

rgirl181

My favorite moment was Adrian Brody's lip-locked, bent-back, totally spontaneous kiss of Halle Berry. Now THAT'S the thing to do when you win the Oscar for Best Actor:smokin: Yo Adrian!
Rgirl

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I thought Halle was pissed at first, lol. It reminded me of during the MTV movie awards a long time ago, where Chris Issak surprisingly kissed Cameron Diaz while they were presenting and she literally pushed him and said "What the hell, don't touch me!" then she tried to play it off by saying it wasn't part of the script. I heard backstage she was totally pissed saying it was sexual harassment.

I was scared that Adrien might have made a mistake, but then I saw Halle laughing and smiling and hugging Adrien after his speech, so I knew she wasn't mad.

S

sk8cynic

You know, last night the strangest thing happened. I was watching a political rally and an awards show broke out!! :p

Seriously folks, (and there should be no surprise here) I had some major issues with the awards show last night. We've covered a lot of ground on the Dixie Chick's thread about this, but after last night, I feel I must state my position, as it is more refined now.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Voicing opinions is only exclusively for Fox News Channel newscasters and generals acquited of war crimes. We need a war on California!....How dare these damned liberals criticize politicians for political reasons for free?... How dare they find their own time to voice opinions different from the 10 news channels run by conservatives? [/quote]

Fetal,

Please list for me the 10 conservative news channels here in the US as I, the alleged conservative of this forum, have no idea what they are. I readily admit that Fox News Channel is extremely conservative - in their news broadcasts, yes, but primarily in their news shows. You cited Bill O'Reilly as the ringleader of the anti-liberals on that network, and while I will agree with you to a point on that, I have to say that I have seen BoR go after conservatives on that show with the same zeal I have seen him call liberals on BS. That having been said, I could just as easily plead the same type of case about all the liberal news networks on the air right now, CNN being one of the worst at presenting their liberal agenda. To be honest, I don't know who gives me a worse case of the hives - Rick Leventhal of Fox, Christiane Amanpour of CNN, or Peter Arnett of MSNBC. I force myself to watch all the news networks to get as many POVs as possible before drawing my own conclusions.

Celebrities have been using their status for years to promote the causes they believe in. I don't have a problem with celebrities doing that when it's on their own dime. Case in point - the ad that Martin Sheen took out denouncing the war, celebrities speaking out at rallies, or even that little hog-body Natalie Maines (or whatever her name is) as she made her statements (as distasteful as I found them) at a concert the Ditzy Chicks paid to put on, or even discussing them on polical forum shows like we see on ALL the news networks (how many celebrities did BoR have on his show when he was in L.A.? 5, and they were all anti-war - btw, Fetal, how much did they get paid by Fox for appearing on their network?). Which brings me to my point.

Before I get labelled a right-wing neo-facist again, let me say in my defense that I would be equally PO'd if some celebrity got up their and started into a pro-war/pro-Bush speech. Just as skating and politics do not mix, neither do Hollywood and politics. About using the Oscars as a "free" outlet for celebrities to climb on their political soapboxes, yes, damn right I'm mad about that. I tune into the Oscars to see who won, listen to jokes by the emcee, and do my own fashion review. I do not watch it to be politically enlightened by a bunch of actors, many of whom, IMO, have been educated far beyond their intelligence. They can bankrupt themselves putting their political agendas out (conservative or liberal), as far as I'm concerned, but please, for god's sake, could they please leave entertainment outlets alone and stop seizing any moment in the spotlight to enlighten what they perceive to be the unwashed stupid masses of mainstream America?

About Michael @#%$ - he needs to get over his serious case of sour grapes about the election in 2000. You hear me, Michael?!?! That was 3 years ago. Your party (and mine) lost. I was livid when Gore lost, but I got over it. Let it go, already, you toadstool!! His Bush-bashing only supports the case of many war-supporters that the anti-war movement is less about the war and more about the Democratic party's loss to Bush in 2000. I was thrilled to see that he got booed off the stage. His diatribe was tacky no matter which party you belong to.

On the flipside, I don't have any problem with celebrities (Adrian Brody, for example) issuing a plea for peace and a swift end to the war. I think that is what all people wish for, war-supporters and non-supporters alike. It's just how we get there where we differ.

Finally, I find it incredibly ironic and hypocritical that celebrities are zealously concerned with the moral and ethical behavior of their country, when many should be far more concerned with their own morality. Shall I list here the names of celebrities that have had run-ins with the law? Drug problems? Domestic problems? Financial problems resulting from the previous three? Perhaps if they cleaned up their own lives and started acting like REAL role models for the American and global public (especially children that look up to them), I might take their political statements more seriously. But until that happens? It's open season, as far as I'm concerned.

End of rant (for now).

J

Jules Asner

Its unfortunate the most Americans (including Mr. M-o-o-r-e) do not understand the electoral votes (even though I distinctly remember learning this in grammar school American history). Don't feel too bad for him, if he said the same things about saddam while in Iraq, he'd be dead by now - here, he just got booed and a gets a lot of free publicity.

ANYWAY, as per the oscars, I was very pleased to see Adrien Brodie win. He was able to give speech that was much more eloquent and in much better taste than Mr. M-o-o-r-e's and thus he got his point across and received a standing ovation to boot. Hats off to my fellow New Yorker.

Also happy with Chicago for best film.

J

Jimmy Hoffa 2

I guess I'm the only one besides Fetal here who thinks an unabashed love fest for a certain child rapist is a million times more disgusting than criticizing the president. Oh well, <em>vive la difference</em>. Oops! I spoke "Freedom"! Let me find myself a firing squad to stand before like a good American.