Oscar Thoughts | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Oscar Thoughts

J

Jules Asner

Re: Oscar Thoughts

No, I thought that was disgusting too. But I was not surprised in the least.

J

Jimmy Hoffa 2

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I thought that was disgusting too[/quote]
Are you sure? By patriotic logic, if you attend an anti-war protest or make anti-war remarks but don't specifically criticize Saddam at the same time, it means you're NOT against him, that you DO support him. I haven't read a single word against the Polanski love fest from any of the M*ore critics, so by the same patriotic logic it must mean that they all support people who rape children and then skip the country to escape punishment.

J

Jules Asner

I don't think people who are anti-war are pro-saddam unless they are carrying a pro-saddam poster (and I have seen some).

I was not surprised by the Polanski love fest in Hollywood, they still love the Woodster too afterall -- I was very surprised by the boo's for M-o-o-r-e in the very-liberal-anti-Bush Hollywood.

M

mike79

I had no problem with Polanski winning since the girl who was the victim has publicly stated that we must recognize the work he directs, and not his past actions.

I was really happy for Nicole Kidman, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Adrien Brody.

Is anyone really surprised about what Michael M-O-O-R-E said? He let people know ahead of time that if he won he would make a statement.

P

Ptichka

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Don't feel too bad for him, if he said the same things about saddam while in Iraq, he'd be dead by now - here, he just got booed and a gets a lot of free publicity.[/quote]
This reminded me of an old Soviet-era joke. An American in Russia is telling about how free the US is. "I can go right up to the White House and yell 'Reagan is an idiot!', and nobody is going to do anything to me". "So what", replies the Russian, "I can do the same thing! I can go up to Kremlin and yell 'Reagan is an idiot!', and nobody will do anything to me!" :rollin:

S

sk8cynic

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I haven't read a single word against the Polanski love fest from any of the M*ore critics, so by the same patriotic logic it must mean that they all support people who rape children and then skip the country to escape punishment.
[/quote]

OMG I can't believe I left that off as that was the apex of my celebrity morality rant.

I haven't seen The Pianist. I'm dying to see it. I usually see films pertaining to WWII and the Holocaust in the theatre - a rarity for me - but I'm passing on this one. As a mother of a little girl, I find Roman Polanski morally repugnant, a deviant, and a complete coward. I don't care what kind of genius director he is, if he were Joe Blow he'd have gone to jail.

Sharon Tate must be turning over in her grave.

.....No wonder so many celebrities think they're god. O.J.? Acquitted. Winona? Probation. Polanski? self-extradition likely in a chateau somewhere, and a Best Director Oscar, to boot!!! Oh well, there's always Robert Blake to dispel that theory.:rolleyes:

P

Ptichka

Cynic, do you pass by Gaugin's paintings without looking at them? He had sex with young girls!

Do you pass by Caravaggio's paintings? He was a murderer!

Do you look at Mies Van Der Rohe's buildings around Chicago? He helped Hitler put arrest a whole lot of people!

You are, of course, 100% right about the double standards. However, where do you draw the line between the art and the artist? Can true art exist if it is created by a very bad person? BTW, I have seen Pianist, and though it is a very good movie, I would not call it an all-out masterpiece. I had problems with it both as a work of art and as a Holocaust movie.

S

sk8cynic

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>You are, of course, 100% right about the double standards. However, where do you draw the line between the art and the artist? Can true art exist if it is created by a very bad person?[/quote]

That's the very question that keeps me awake at night sometimes.

Take it one step further.

Most people will agree that illegal drug use is bad for society, our kids, etc. Thing is this: Do you like the Beatles? Pink Floyd? Samuel Taylor Coleridge? Andy Warhol? Lord Byron? Mozart?

A lot of their most amazing works were composed/written while they were RRREEEAAAALLLYYY high on drugs, or alcohol (in the case of Wolfy). Do we throw our albums and CDs out? Boycott Campbell's Soup? Should I burn my Norton's Anthology?

You raised a question I for which I have no answer. Where DO we draw the line?

L

Ladskater

I was happy with the outcome - except I thought Christopher Walkin would get the best supporting actor. I was thrilled for Adrien Brody - he deserved it. And I was equally thrilled for Nichole Kidman - what a superb job she did in The Hours! I was happy for Katherine Zeta Jones, but I did think Julianne M-o-o-r-e (darn, I hate this - can't there be an exception for the name? There is more than one in existence - like Jones) deserved to win.

The Michael M. speech was a little over the top. He could have toned it down.

I was disappointed they did not show clips from the movies and the performances - I guess they were trying to cut down on time. I must say this is the shortest Oscars I have ever seen.

I thought Peter O'toole gave the best and most eloquent speech of the night. So nice to hear someone express themselves in such a wonderful manner. The "art of speaking" seems to be a lost art these days.

I was floored when Roman Polanski won for best director! I was cheering for him - but did not think the Academy would reward him. The Pianist was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.

All in all, I thought the Oscars went over really well this year. All the ladies (and the men) looked great - it was nice to see them dressed tastefully.

Hey isn't Sean Connery classy?

"Here's Looking at You Kid"

Ladskater

J

jenT

I thought Steve Martin did a good job as host although I agree with whoever said he was better last year. Suprised by Brody and Polanski winning. I really thought Martin Scorcese was going to win. Maybe the academy has something against him? How could he have not won for Raging Bull? I wish Daneil Day Lewis won because I love listening to him speak. Highlight for me was Eminem winning for Best Song.

A

anastasiabeaverhoussen

Oscars

I was hoping the Frida song would win. I was disappointed with seeing a rap song win. I do not enjoy rap music or eminem!

My favorite movie of the year was Chicago.