Was Rudy Galindo undermarked due to being openly gay, or undermarked at all? | Golden Skate

Was Rudy Galindo undermarked due to being openly gay, or undermarked at all?

Galindo undermarked where, why, or at all?

• he was undermarked as a pro, but not as an amateur, only because his skating was unrecognized

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • he was undermarked as a pro, not as an amateur, only because his skating was unrecognized

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

temperboy28

Match Penalty
Was Rudy Galindo undermarked due to being openly gay, or undermarked at all?

Do you believe being openly gay caused Galindo to be undermarked as an amateur, professional, both or neither? Or do you believe he was undermarked for no other reason but just not due recognition to his skating. Or was he not undermarked at all.

Last edited:

temperboy28

Match Penalty
I voted as an amateur but not as a pro. As a pro he believed he was undermarked but I found his scores fair. He was good but his skating had obvious flaws and his competition tough. As an amateur though it took him a long time to get recognized and I think I know why that was, sad but true.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I think this poll is a little slanted towards saying rudy had to have been either undermarked or unrecognized, just because he's gay. He was never undermarked or unrecognized, IMO. He came into his own as an amateur later on in his career in seniors, and was rewarded for it. As a pro he did a lot cheesy fluff programs, that had little or no substance, probably due to his hips being so bad.

Last edited:

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
I have no idea about pro but, as an amateur I've 'heard' from lots that he was undermarked. And In Christine Brennan's book she said he would not have won nationals if he had not been "perfect" that he only won b/c his performance that night was supposedly amazing and he had the crowd with him. I was 6 at the time so I don't know if he was really perfect or not; I could youtube it but, I'm lazy.