Boycotting the Dixie Chicks? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Boycotting the Dixie Chicks?

M

MaryMotorMouth

Re: Boycotting the Dixie Chicks?

They have a right to say it, and I have a right to disagree even though I am not a "public" person.

Have I lost respect for the DC that made the comment? You betcha. Because she started regretting her words as soon as she realized it would hurt her deeply - in the one place that would hurt her most - in her bank account. The shallowness of a "celebrity" using their status as it suits their wallet/career makes me crazy. [ crazier?]

G

Grgranny

I agree with MaryMM. I not only lose respect but resent those people telling us what we should or should not do. They may have rights and I can respect they have them but I would think it would be better if they said "I believe this" not "you should do this". Actually, I don't really have much respect for people in show business anyway. As far as I am concerned, they are some of the reason the country is losing so much morality. No one needs to tell me whether to eat meat or not or wear fur or whatever.:smokin:

J

Jimmy Hoffa 2

I notice that we've only heard complaints about celebrities that don't share the complainer's own politics. Never heard about anyone complaining about Charlton Heston being the head of a political organization, or Arnold Schwarzenegger wanting to get into politics. Shouldn't they just stick to acting? Regis Philbin has been hawking the war and I haven't heard one word about it. And I'll bet nine out of ten complainers either voted for Ronald Reagan, would have if they could have, or think he's one of God's greatest gifts to America. (If you did or do, don't try to justify it by saying "He was only B-list" or "He wasn't THAT famous". An entertainer is an entertainer.) What was he doing in the White House...twice?!

I don't blame celebrities for the country "losing morality". That lies on parents who can't raise their children right.

J

Jules Asner

Quote:
I don't blame celebrities for the country "losing morality". That lies on parents who can't raise their children right.

I'll have to second that statement.

W

WindSpirit5

I'll third it.

I don't have a problem with celebrities stating their opinion on anything (I can think of right now, at least). I believe they have the right to do so. Then it's up to me to believe (or "follow") them or not. Let's say that 99% of time it doesn't matter to me what they say. I just take it as a private opinion, that's all.

As for teaching kids things, what I would like to teach my kids is that everyone has a right to their opinion and I should do my best to understand their point of view, and even if I decide that I don't agree with them at all I'll try to respect their right to have it. That includes not turning my back on them if their opinion doesn't violate my "most important principles" (like don't kill, etc.). For example, if I'm a vegetarian, I'm not going to boycott anyone's movies or whatever because they eat meat. However, I'm going to boycott them if they're boring (one of the biggest sins in my book :p ) or bad. Someone's saying that they're ashamed of their president I consider a justifiable difference of opinion. I agree that the place was a tad unfortunate, but if that was a mistake we all have a right to make them. If I taught my kids to boycott someone for something like that, I believe, that would send the message that the opinion of others is not very valuable (if it differs from ours) or worse, that we can buy it (and that's just so wrong), since a huge amount of their pay comes from us.

Most of the time I don't agree with what Mishin says, but I'll always pay to see his skaters. :)

M

MaryMotorMouth

Jimmy Hoffa-

I'm not sure I understand your point.... The point I was trying to make is contempt because the DC in question apologized AFTER she realized some people in the US were angry and that anger certainly can equate to dollars for her. [ In the way of boycotts, etc]

As far as Charleton Heston and the NRA... I don't seem to remember him ever changing his opinion or apologizing about his comments about his belief in gun rights because people threatened to not go to his movies? [By the way, does anyone know if he's still acting or when he retired? I know he has Alzheimers.]

And no, I don't think celebrities should not go into politics. Whatever floats their boat. But when they backpedal on beliefs as it affects them financially, I'll criticize again, regardless of my politics. A hypocrite is a hypocrite to me.

J

Jules Asner

ITA with Mary about hypocrite issue -- if the Dixie Chick in question had stuck to her guns I'd respect her more. People have criticized Heston for promoting the NRA and I have no problem with Arnold going into politics - he is married to Maria Shriver and has always seemed to take a big interest in Republican politics.

In fact, I have no problem with celebs speaking out - the problem is that when people disagree with the Celebs some other people act like its a federal offense and unfortunately others follow what the celebs say without finding out for themselves if the celeb has any idea what they're talking about.

Can the Dixie Chick say she's ashamed of living in Texas? yes.
Can people say they are insulted by her statement and refuse to use their own money to buy her product? Yes.
can people stand up for her and say they agree with her and will therefore go out and buy her product? yes.

Can Gretsky say he loves Georgie Dubya Bush? Yes
Can Canadians deem Gretsky the new anti-Christ because of this? yes
Can 1% of the Canadian population agree with him? Yes

H

heyang

Apparently, the United Way has cancelled a benefit that was to be hosted by Susan Sarandon. They were concerned that her actions at the Oscars would be considered divisive. What did she do? She made the peace sign with her fingers while entering the auditorium and while on stage to present an award.

J

Jules Asner

The United Way said they were worried she would use their benefit as a platform to voice her political beliefs. I don't think it was anything she did or said at the oscars, since she didn't do or say much, but the fact that many celebs use whatever platform they can find to voice their political beliefs whether it is appropriate or not.

B

BronzeisGolden02

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I notice that we've only heard complaints about celebrities that don't share the complainer's own politics. [/quote]

True, to a certain extent. Yet, I think a few here have been able to voice their opinions without it being politically themed or motivated. For many, myself included, it is merely a personal preference to have the entertainer actually entertain. As I stated in my previous post in this thread, I could care less how the Dixie Chicks feel about politics, or agriculture, or skating, or anything else that doesn't directly concern their craft. This is a thread concerning the Dixie Chicks, if you wish to discuss or analyze indepth other celebrity stances (some that you mentioned: Charlton Heston, Schwarzenegger, etc) then begin a thread. That seems like a fine idea and I'm sure many (myself included) would be inclined to comment on them. We should do one on Charlton Heston, now there is an interesting topic! Sure to provide much debate.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>And I'll bet nine out of ten complainers either voted for Ronald Reagan, would have if they could have, or think he's one of God's greatest gifts to America[/quote]

I think it's a great mistake to make such general assumptions. Ultimately, you can never be 100% sure of someone's political ideals unless you directly discuss politics with the person. This topic concerning the Dixie Chicks comes across more as a personal preferance for me (and many others it seems) rather than a firm political stance. If you choose to make wild assumptions about individual political affiliation through posts that mainly concern general and personal thoughts that is fine, but I believe you'll be doing only yourself a disservice in the end. Perhaps it is because you confuse the issue at hand. Some are displeased that they said anything about the war at all, some are displeased that they didn't stand their ground, but it seems few are purely angry that they criticized the war (and indirectly this administration). Geez, you make it sound like this board is full of zombified, right-wing Republicans. Perhaps it is. Perhaps it isn't. Assuming that it is from a topic concerning the Dixie Chicks doesn't seem like the best idea.