YESSSSSS NICOLE! | Golden Skate

YESSSSSS NICOLE!

B

BronzeisGolden02

YESSSSSS NICOLE!

Wow, I'm so thrilled for Nicole Kidman! She seemed so genuinely surprised and happy to win. Good for her, I'm so pleased to see someone that seems so real win something so surreal.

M

mathman444

Re: YESSSSSS NICOLE!

ITA. What was cool about Kidman's performance was that it was a complete character so different from anything she had done before. She was totally believable as Virginia Wolf, whereas Meryl Streep and Juliana Mooore seemed like Meryl Streep and Juliana Mooore.

But what about that idiot who won best actor? I didn't see the Pianist (although I read the book), so maybe he deserved the award. But what a jerk. Lay off Halle Berry, for starters. Then shut up, can't you?

Mathman

L

Ladskater

mathman444:

Adrien Brody was just as taken by surprise that he won as Nicole Kidman was about her win. All the talk was Nicholson or Day Lewis would win - so when his name was announced, naturally he was elated and probably could not believe the outcome. He was amazing in the Pianist. If you have not seen this picture, you should. I think of all the actors nominated Adrien had the toughest role. He had to play most of the scenes solo and convince us that he was suffering (indeed it was believable).

I was not thrilled last year when Halle Berry won - and talk about the worst acceptance speech of all time! That horrible look on her face for about ten minutes was excruicating to watch.

Ladskater

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:teal;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">Yes, I thought so, too last year. I could hardly watch the TV because she made such an ass out of herself. It was nice to see Nicole's touching reaction.</span>

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

Yes, Halle wasn't the most composed Oscar winner out there, but this is a time when a person is the most vurneable and in-shock and can't think straight. People react differently.

For anyone in the film business, it's like the biggest honor they are ever going to get, so I don't blame Halle for how she acted. I actually liked her speech when I thought she finished, until she stopped John Williams, the conductor last year, and started babbling on. That's when it went bad. But I don't blame her, she was geniunely surprised.

I remember winning the State Championship for "We the People" in my senior year in HS, and my class's reaction to winning was a lot different than how we were planning to react. We were supposed to be composed and not too excited, but we screamed, jumped, yelled, hugged, etc. You get the idea.

M

mathman444

As bad as Halle Berry's acceptance speech might have been, it still wasn't as dreadful as her acting in Monster's Ball. If that was an Oscar-winning performance I'll eat my hat.

Nice house. Nobody home.

MM

L

Ladskater

mathman444:

My only memories of Berry's performance in Monsters Ball will be throwing up my dinner on the way out of the theatre. I pretty much "lost my lunch" by the time the movie ended. I don't know if that is any reflection on Halles' performance, but I do agree she did not give the performance of the year to garner the Oscar. It should have gone to Renée Zellweger for Bridgett Jones' Diary. She was great. Or to Cissy Spacek for In the Bedroom.

Ladskater

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

Halle Berry was wonderful. ppl focused too much on her sex scene (which represented her being free from all the pressure she was feeling and how she could leave the cage she was locked in), I loved that last scene where she finds out that Billy Bob Thorton was one of the executioners of her son's father. She is shocked and confused, but she never says a word, she protrays it with just these looks on her face. Then the Billy Bob character comes back, and he is just yapping, and she is looking at him. You could tell she was juggling all these conflicting thoughts in her head and that she was trying to come to a decision about if she should stay with him and know he is the person who killed her son't father, or leave him knowing she will be alone living a very hard life.

Not to mention the scence where she is both a loving mother and a child abusing alcoholc with good intentions.

I can't change any of your opinions, but she or Sissy Spacek totally deserved it. A lot of ppl thought Renee got nominated b/c of a lack of depth in teh laides field. I thought Renee deserved the nod, but there was no way she was going to win with the likes of Sissy, Judi Dench, or Halle's three dimensional characters.

W

WindSpirit5

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>But what about that idiot who won best actor? I didn't see the Pianist (although I read the book), so maybe he deserved the award. But what a jerk. Lay off Halle Berry, for starters. Then shut up, can't you?[/quote] Oh, those are nice names. I guess you wouldn't mind if someone called Michelle that, would you? As for Brody, he deserved that Oscar, he got to kiss a beautiful woman, and he gave a genuine and thoughtful speech. Eat your heart out. :p

However, I agree with what you wrote about Halle's role in "Monster's Ball". I was really disappointed by her and Billy Bob Thornton's acting. They're so bad, the film was so bland I quit watching after the first hour. Maybe I should give it one more try, but right now I very much agree with what you said. I thought she was great in "Losing Isaiah", "Bulworth" and "Introducing Dorothy Dandridge" (too bad the last one was a TV movie), but in "Monster's Ball"? No.

M

mathman444

That was my point. He "got to kiss" a beautiful woman, but the beautiful woman didn't want to be kissed. To quote Chris Rock, "That ain't right!"

MM

PS. So right now you're wondering how I know that Halle didn't want to be kissed. Halle and I are very close. She called me right after the Oscars to say, "Did you see that, MM? He's got some nerve!":p

W

WindSpirit5

Kudos to Ms. Berry then for the Oscar-worthy performance. :smokin: Please tell her than if Mr. Brody ever tries to assault her again, she should call me. I'll take care of him, I mean, it, lol. ;)

M

Mathman3

:rollin: :rollin:

About Monster's Ball, I forgot to mention that the one actor that I WAS inpressed with was Sean Coombs. P. Diddy did right proud. I usually think of these rappers as ignorant thugs, but some of them, like Puff Daddy and Queen Latifa have shown an intriguing range of talent, as well as enviable business acument. Did you see Puffy on Regis this morning?

Mathman

L

Lcp88

I for one loved Adrien Brody's speech, and thought Michael M-o-o-r-e's was great too. Ever read his book "Downsize This!"? Its hilarious. But the highlight for me was Eminem winning best song for Lose Yourself. I think Barbra pretty surprized...
I was a little surprized Roman Pulanski won for Best Director, but I guess they could FedEx the Oscar to him...
Laura

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I think Monster's Ball did have a bland look, but it was going for the ultimate realism, and life is bland sometimes, especially at the movie's place and time. A lot of ppl thought the movie didn't finish well, but I think the movie wasn't supposed to have a satisfactory ending, then it would have been a happy ending. That movie represented that there are somethings that ppl are willing to NOT talk about in order to just be happy.

I don't think Billy Bob's character ever got over his racism, he was just willing to ignore it b/c Halle's character made him happy, and she ignored the fact that he helped execute her Son's father in order for her to be taken care of. She is tired of taking care of things, she's been doing everything to survive all her life, she deserves some happiness, even if it means not having any principles. Is that relationship gonna last? I doubt it, but we will never know.

I loved this movie b/c it steered clear from the fluffy movie romances that came out that year, especially Moulin Rouge (if Nicole Kidman's character didn't die, then we would know that Ewan's character and the Sparkling Diamond's relationship wouldn't have lasted one minute). It was only a good relationship b/c it was forbidden and she was gonna die anyways.

B

BronzeisGolden02

I thought Berry's performance in "Monster's Ball" was strong. I'll agree it was a bleak sort of film, and thus made it harder to actually feel much empathy for some of the characters. Yet, Halle showed her best stuff since she did the "Dorothy Dandridge" movie on HBO. So, she at least deserved to be nominated in my opinion. Also, if you're going to argue her win, you might as well question Kim Basinger's Best Supporting Actress win, I still don't understand that one. Although, I thought Kim played wonderful white trash in "8 Mile", lol. I just didn't think her performance was all that riveting in "L.A. Confidential".

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I thought Julianna M-o-o-r-e should have gotten it Boogie Nights instead in 1997.

W

WindSpirit5

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>About Monster's Ball, I forgot to mention that the one actor that I WAS inpressed with was Sean Coombs. P. Diddy did right proud. I usually think of these rappers as ignorant thugs, but some of them, like Puff Daddy and Queen Latifa have shown an intriguing range of talent, as well as enviable business acument. Did you see Puffy on Regis this morning?[/quote] No, I don't watch Regis. Was it memorable? Btw, I too think he was surprisingly good in "Monster's Ball". It took me a second to recognize him, though. Combs and Ledger were the only (well, two ;) ) reason I lasted as long as I did (I mean, they made it somewhat watchable).

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I was a little surprized Roman Pulanski won for Best Director, but I guess they could FedEx the Oscar to him...[/quote] And they will, I believe. Btw, an interesting tidbit; when I was looking for his post-Oscar interview I found out that in 2000 one of the most prestigious universities in Poland (The Jagiellonian University in Cracow, the one Copernicus studied at) was going to give Polanski the title of Doctor Honoris Causa, but after a longer deliberation decided not to. They concluded an upstanding character is a must. Well, as it comes to the Oscars, it isn't (I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be, I'm just stating the fact).