2009 Worlds to be moved from L.A.?? | Golden Skate

2009 Worlds to be moved from L.A.??

R.D.

Record Breaker
Cinquanta is threatening to move Worlds from the U.S. if there's no one to pick up the ISU contract after the ESPN deal expires in 2008.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-070319skate2,0,2217550.story

International Skating Union president Ottavio Cinquanta indicated the future of the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships scheduled for Los Angeles could be in jeopardy unless a new TV contract for ISU events in the United States is in place.

[snip]

[Cinquanta said,]``Without TV coverage, we cannot assure our contractual obligations.''

[snip]

U.S. Figure Skating Association CEO David Raith, in the audience for the Tuesday press conference, was surprised by Cinquanta's impromptu remarks. Raith said the USFSA has guaranteed the host broadcast signal, which could cost the USFSA some $500,000 if there is no rights-holder to provide it.

``I am not concerned,'' Raith said to the question of whether the Staples Center could lose the event.

Cinquanta's statements could have been a ploy to push negotiations for a new TV contract in both the United States and Canada.

``I am furious because we are confronted with a situation where we don't know about the future of the sport in North America,'' he said.

YMMV, but I think it makes sense. What's the use of having worlds in the US if Americans won't even get to see the event on television?

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
It figures. I make reservations, then all of a sudden my trip is "provisional". Curse you, $peedy!
Ugh!
Rave...no, I guess it's Rant today.

YMMV, but I think it makes sense. What's the use of having worlds in the US if Americans won't even get to see the event on television?
And as I understand it, neither will anyone else, if the host nation is expected to provide the feed worldwide.

The basic problem is that Americans are just not much interested in international competitions in any sport. The U.S. championship, OK (the Super Bowl, "World" series, March Madness) -- otherwise, meh.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The basic problem is that Americans are just not much interested in international competitions in any sport. The U.S. championship, OK (the Super Bowl, "World" series, March Madness) -- otherwise, meh.

doesn't surprise me a whole lot. And you don't really have that collective "Go us!" like you would in another country due to the vast diversity of the US. (Just look at the World Cup, for example.)

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Might Cinquanta pull the 2009 World Championships from Los Aneles? U. S. Figure Skating - Beware!

I personally would caution USFS leadership (President Hershberger and Executive Director Raith) to "be very concerned." The reasons stem from what may be a misread of Cinquanta's viewpoint. It appears to me and numerous other close followers of "Speedy's" past dealings, that his overall view shows little concern for the fans or the selling of tickets to ISU events. The ISU leadership has become spoiled with receipt of big TV contractual monies. Ottavio is obviously clueless to the new American reality that most second tier and a few major sports i.e. Figure Skating and Hockey are being moved off Network outlets. We all know this will continue with the advent of pay per view webcasting.

Cinquanta may make good on his threat when he discovers mid-way through next season there will be no big money from our network outlets. He may take his Championship elsewhere. Cinquanta knows that the USFS guaranteeing a broadcast feed (even at USFS expense) will not line the ISU coffers with any coin. That is all he cares about. So a word to the wise... beware! Remember Australia. Speedy is out for the big bucks that will not materialize, and when it doesn't, I predict he will take his championships and run to Europe. Mr. Raith and President Hershberger, begin planning for how you might preclude this from happening. It is most definately a strong possibility.

If Ottavio does pull 2009 Worlds from the U.S., this will only serve to provide a longer period of hard times for the sport in this country, as well as ensure no future ISU dealings with U.S. media outlets. Management of the sport internationally will only continue to slide skating's popularity further into the abyss of public unattentiveness. It is long past time for national governing bodies to affect Cinquanta's removal as soon as possible and elect someone with relevant policies to govern the sport with sanity!

Last edited:

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Can somebody inform me the history of Cinquanta? He looks like an Italian mafia in the photo. He is delusional. Without NA market, FS is not going to suddently blossom in Europe.

Screw him, let him move.

tae04

On the Ice
Its time for the skaters to protest and oust Cinquanta, he has been nothing but bad for the sport. I wish the WSF took over as they were trying to do after SLC. It is definetely time for a new change of guard. Alot of things need to be changed with the sport before it dies.

Jhar55

Medalist
Let him move wrolds and then the USFS might say we won't send any skaters.
Hope this never happens. What gets me a person who knows nothing about skating is at the head. I wouldn't mind the pay per view way only if we could see everything.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
is he going to either
a. refund those that have already booked their trip/tickets
or
b. make up the difference for added expenses when he moves

if not the ISU could see a major lawsuit not by a skating federation, but pissed off fans...

and if he doesn't figure this out soon he won't have people buying tickets period because they are afraid he will switch it at the last minute.

not good business sense if you ask me.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i really hope that LA gets it and that i am still here in 2009! lol

I don't know why this jerk dares to threaten his money man, U.S.?
I think that might be the point. Without a big TV contract, the U.S. isn't the money man any more.

In the good old days, when ABC TV gave the ISU $20,000,000 for the rights to televise international competitions, this was more than 50% of their entire budget. Now it's down to a fourth of that and is scheduled to drop to zero after 2008. Maybe Cinquanta sees no further reason to suck up to the U.S.

Can somebody inform me the history of Cinquanta?
He was an Italian speedskater, then he worked his way up in the ISU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottavio_Cinquanta

Last edited:

waxel

Final Flight
I don't expect much action from USFS. They have been afraid to stand up to Speedy all along and I don't see that pattern changing.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
is he going to either
a. refund those that have already booked their trip/tickets
or
b. make up the difference for added expenses when he moves

if not the ISU could see a major lawsuit not by a skating federation, but pissed off fans...

and if he doesn't figure this out soon he won't have people buying tickets period because they are afraid he will switch it at the last minute.

not good business sense if you ask me.

If not the ISU, then fans might sue the USFSA. They should stand up to Speedy for this very reason.

I'm not exactly sure what actions USFS could take that would be "standing up to Speedy." If the complaint is that the money has dried up, then maybe U.S. clout in the ISU is on its way out, too.

As I understand Cinquata's position, it is that we can't have a world championship at a venue where we cannot guarantee television coverage. That doesn't sound so outrageous to me.

I really think that figure skating in the U.S. needs a new plan. We seem to be clinging desperately to the old plan -- but that world is slipping away.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I really think that figure skating in the U.S. needs a new plan. We seem to be clinging desperately to the old plan -- but that world is slipping away.
:agree:
Genius!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited: