What is wrong with Johnny Weir? Do you think he doesn't have the stamina? | Golden Skate

What is wrong with Johnny Weir? Do you think he doesn't have the stamina?

christinaskater

Medalist
What is wrong with Johnny Weir? Do you think he doesn't have the stamina?

My friend told me Johnny is only for Short Programs and he doesn't have the stamina and strength throughout the long programs! It seems like he looses the energy, vibrance and power needed all throughout the free!

I think Johnny should really improve on his enthusiasm and really choose a program that he can really enjoy and give all his strength into! I want to see him actualize what he can really do since he has so much promise!

layman

On the Ice
He had no trouble getting through the Long Programs that won him his three US titles (each program was perfect), but this season he has struggled with motivation and burnout.

He says that he never recovered mentally or physically from the Olympic season...never took a break between that season and this...in fact he says that he has not had a break from skating since the Grand Prix of 2004...he's burned out. That's why he's not enjoying it anymore. He needs some time off to re-group.

He reminds me of Michelle Kwan the year she chose to skate to Sheharazade, fired Lori Nichol, fired Frank Carrol, and chose to go to the Olympics alone...both skaters seemed to be suffering burnout and both have struggled with motivation.

Hopefully Johnny will bounce back.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I agree Jar55. He is just not into it. Also they have allot of pressure on them and maybe he just doesn't know how to handle it. It is not easy to go out there and put down a perfect performance every time. However, Johnny should seriously consider if he wants to skate or pack it in.

layman

On the Ice
Johnny has said that he does not believe in consulting a sports psychologist but I think he should reconsider. Sports psychologists helped Brian Boitano and Paul Wylie (and many others) realize their potential. I think Johnny would benefit from consulting a sports psychologist.

flying camel

Medalist
Johnny seems burnt out. He should either not do that tour or take next season off. If he continues maybe he should miss the Grand Prix. Sometimes you just need a vacation. Lambiel seems rejuveniated.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Johnny has said that he does not believe in consulting a sports psychologist but I think he should reconsider. Sports psychologists helped Brian Boitano and Paul Wylie (and many others) realize their potential. I think Johnny would benefit from consulting a sports psychologist.

I agree. And I agree with everybody said in this thread so far. His LP performance was ahead of the music this time. He was not into it. Both SP and LP he performed at the Nationals were better compare with all his other performances in this season. And he didn't even care that much. He was in a not bad spirit. He must be very happy the season was finally over.

I am sad to say that Johnny cannot do this type of program - he thinks he cannot do it mentally first, then physically. Many people knew from the beginning that he cannot do it. But I was hoping and pushing myself to believe that he can do it because I was so wanting him to show his power on ice, and show he can do both styles. But he can't. Oh, well, hope he can find his motivation next season, and stay in his comfort zone if he wants, and bounce back. He has committed to 2010. He will stick here to that time. I hope that I won't see another Sandhu.

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, Johnny needs rest and protein. While all the US skaters are tired, Johnny alone seems to look half starved.

I also wonder what is going on with training and conditioning for all these skaters. According to Christine Brennan's COI book, during the post whack glory years, there would be over 70 shows a season, every season, not just post Olys. Yet, the skaters then (MK, TL, Todd, Elvis, etc.) all managed to get through it, and have new programs for the next season -- and hold their own against the rest of the world. They also had the same number of GP events -- and cheesefests. Now, they are getting burnt out with only 40 or 50 shows in only post-Oly tours.

1cmarie

Rinkside
In answer to your question, attyfan, CoP probably plays a big role in athlete burnout. The level of difficulty and general technical competitiveness, I feel, is much higher than in previous years. Also, double jumps are even good enough for shows anymore; spectators now know what a triple looks like, and I think they want to see it. Last but not least, all those quad jumps that have become a requirement for the men. The male athletes are going to be missing a few toes by the time their careers are over...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
... but this season he has struggled with motivation and burnout.

He says that he never recovered mentally or physically from the Olympic season...never took a break between that season and this...in fact he says that he has not had a break from skating since the Grand Prix of 2004...he's burned out. That's why he's not enjoying it anymore. He needs some time off to re-group.

Hopefully Johnny will bounce back.

That is my impression as well, and do think...
.... CoP probably plays a big role in athlete burnout. ...
... this has something to do with it as well.:agree:

It is nice to finally hear "too thin" about the guys, Tanith and Johnny side by side and I think Tanith might have a 0.5% body fat index more than Johnny. I hope that doesn't cause an issue with Tanith, thinking she could be thinner.

efreedman

On the Ice
Johnny's Stamina

My friend told me Johnny is only for Short Programs and he doesn't have the stamina and strength throughout the long programs! It seems like he looses the energy, vibrance and power needed all throughout the free!

I think Johnny should really improve on his enthusiasm and really choose a program that he can really enjoy and give all his strength into! I want to see him actualize what he can really do since he has so much promise!

As a health care professional and a fitness enthusiast, I think that there a few things going on:

• I don't think he eats correctly or enough
  • He doesn't train aerobically or sufficiently aerobic
  • He needs a sports psychologist and/or hypnotist, because anxiety and stress compromise breathing and performance
Given that he has stated that he doesn't believe in the last option, (shades of Tom Cruise), he'll never get out of his own way.

So much talent, but I fear does not have the heart of a champion.

1cmarie

Rinkside
It is nice to finally hear "too thin" about the guys, Tanith and Johnny side by side and I think Tanith might have a 0.5% body fat index more than Johnny. I hope that doesn't cause an issue with Tanith, thinking she could be thinner.

Women have more body fat in general, being that we have to carry children to term and all...

I think Johnny has the heart of a champion, only, he wants to be a champion *his* way. Maybe someone can eventually talk him into going to a sports psych (though I have to admit that *I* don't even believe in hypnotists).

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
his problem in the LP may be stamina, but this is nothing to do with his body particully. He admitted minself that he has other prorities other than training and it shows. Doing multiple run-throughs of your programs is the sure fire way to build stamina. Robin Wagner made Sarah Hughes do three LP run throughs back to back, so when she competed, it seemed easy becasue she only had to do it once. Nerves can give you that extra boost, but they can aloso make everything harder and tiring. I have alos noticed that Johnny looks extremly nervous, almost sick before he takes the ice. I had not noticed this any other season except this one.

I think it would be in Johnny's best intrest if he took of a year, and then returned. He will never last like this until the next olympics. SOme people like Michelle Kwan live off competeing and it strengthens them and energizes them. Others, like johnny need a break once in while, and that's okay. he's only human. He has two brand new programs after a difficult olympic season. He is trying the quad... He needs to take off a season and TRAIN. Then he willcome back with a second wind and beat everybody!

Wolfgang

On the Ice
What's wrong with Johnny?
You mean aside from costumery and attitude?
Probably too many late nights at the dance clubs.
A little more sleep, a little more protein, and a training schedule that is tough but not exhausting might go a long way.

As far as I know (by way of research in books and on the web), women need about 12% body fat in order to function normally, men can get away with as little as 5% before the body starts shutting down in protest against the abuse.
(Your eyeballs, for example, are basically all fat.)

That's pretty much rail thin already, think marathon runners, Iron Man athletes, etc., more or less just skeletons held together by wiry, leathery muscle.

According to a couple of on-line calculators, I'm at 18-20%, and I fit into a size 29/30 jeans at 5'10", 155 lbs.

efreedman

On the Ice
Tiny Mavy,

I agree totally with your assessment. That promise to his mother to pay for his brother's college education must be weighing quite heavily on him. If he could afford to stop skating except for the COI tour for a year and other exhibitions, perhaps that will give him the respite that he needs.

With respect to others' comments as to non-belief in hypnotists, if they happen to be board-certified psychiatrists, one helped me get past my irrational fear of accounting. I got an A+ on my intensive accounting course after hypnosis for a block caused by anxiety for my MBA (at a top 12 business school). While it may not work for all, it does work in many cases

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
With respect to others' comments as to non-belief in hypnotists,
Didn't this help Peggy or was it Dorothy? with stopping smoking?

As far as it working or not, IMO that has to do with the person undergoing the procedure. Do they believe in it?

I 'spose my .5% body fat index was a little to specific to be seen as a "Tanith looks more meaty than Johnny, but it seems the girls usually take the heat for weight." That is all I really meant to say.

As far as I can see, it seems it is really only Johnny's upper body in question - is that right - for his lower half seems to be in pretty good condition to me. ????

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've never really noticed Johnny's weight as being good or bad... just *johnny* lol

I do feel he's just burnt out. He could have - and maybe should have - followed Lambiel's lead and taken some time off... rediscover why he loves skating in the first place...

sk8addict

On the Ice
I think it is the Choreographer. She didn't leave proper time to setup his jumps. So he is rushing them. She doesn't jump. Totally changing his style this late in his career is crazy. We should see the old Johnny again next year but he has to get over his fear of the quad.

The other day I watched his "Fire & Ice" interview at Nats. He said his favorite meal was chewing gum. A bit later he realized that was NOT a good example to set the younguns and revised it, but...

So I agree he may need to eat more & better in order to bulk up a little for strength and stamina.

I'm also a little puzzled that he insists his body type can't take more practice than he already does. (Sorry, can't find source but I've seen it at least twice.) What would that mean?

Also agree that he needs a break:

I don't relax. I don't think I even remember how. Even when I'm just sitting at home my legs are always moving, or my hands are always going. I have been training at the peak level since July 2005, and I have had no vacation or rest. After this coming World Championship and Champions On Ice tour, I will take a break and have a true rest. I hope I remember how! Sometimes I do wish to leave everything and have a break, but that doesn't get results.
(from the current Q&A on his website)

skater 17

Rinkside
I agree, I think many of the skaters are just to thin, Jeffery,Johnny,Tabitha,Sasha, and countless others. They say TV put on about 10 pounds, when I have seen live events I felt sad to see so many athletes under weight. It seem in the past people commented on pair women having this problem but it affects lots of skaters men and woman. Johnny is a amazing skater but I think he has to much pressure and probably is way to hard on himself. I hope he finds a way to skate with heart and stop trying to please everyone else. I think he needs to get healthy both mind and body. He certainly would deserve to be a world champion.