Joannie Rochette Article | Golden Skate

Joannie Rochette Article

lutzskate

On the Ice
Rochette wanted to skate like a woman

"It was really hard to stay focused [considering] where I was standing [16th] after the short. Of course, looking back on the season, maybe the short program [to Jimi Hendrix’s slow, bluesy Little Wing] was not well-received by the judges. It was fun to do, it was something different, but I think if I compete next year, it’s going to be something more classical.

At first that if stood out to me, and I wondered if she was thinking of retiring, but I think it was just a way of speaking, because later she goes on to say: "The sad thing is, it takes a long time for me to master a jump consistently," Rochette said. "I guess I’m a very slow learner. But I know it’s in me, I know I have the ability to do it, I just need to make it consistent, and work a lot harder. This season I didn’t want to get injured — I’ve had shin splints before — but I’m just going to have to do it. I’ve done triple-triple before in competition, and next year, I have to do it."

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Both Joannie and Mira Leung need to reassess their future. Mira Leung will probably retire; Joannie needs a new coach. She needs to land jumps.

I love this girl. She showed a lot of heart in coming back the way she did, and she also has "wa" (Japanese for team spirit, if I'm not mistaken). Her post-game self-analysis is on target. She sounds clear and ready to fix what's not working. I'm glad she realized "Little Wing" was a mistake - I hated it from the get-go. Go, Joannie!

What a difference between her and Mira. That one's Tonya Harding resemblance is getting stronger and stronger. Not pretty.

Both Joannie and Mira Leung need to reassess their future. Mira Leung will probably retire; Joannie needs a new coach. She needs to land jumps.
Mira SHOULD retire, unless she can get an attitude transplant - but I don't think she will. Unless perhaps all support is withdrawn from her. But McLeod's comments in that interview were surprisingly gentle.

lutzskate

On the Ice

I would be SHOCKED if Mira retired. I think she's too hard-headed for that. She plans to "start over" as stated in the other article I posted. To me, this means a coaching change, but #1 - who would take her? and #2 - it would need to be someone hard headed, like a Richard Callaghan. Perhaps she should go to Morosov. He'd tell her the truth (not that I'm saying he's the best coach).

lutzskate

On the Ice
Mira SHOULD retire, unless she can get an attitude transplant - but I don't think she will. Unless perhaps all support is withdrawn from her. But McLeod's comments in that interview were surprisingly gentle.

Mcleod was being professional. I'm sure she didn't say what she was thinking. I could infer that Mira had been complaining about lack of funding from Skate Canada. How many girls would change places with her in a second?!

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I would be SHOCKED if Mira retired. I think she's too hard-headed for that. She plans to "start over" as stated in the other article I posted. To me, this means a coaching change, but #1 - who would take her? and #2 - it would need to be someone hard headed, like a Richard Callaghan. Perhaps she should go to Morosov. He'd tell her the truth (not that I'm saying he's the best coach).

I'm shocked to arrive this conclusion that Mira leung does not have bright future no matter what she does. :chorus:

I watched her on TV yesterday, and found her body type is just so unappealing. I doubt any judge will give her above 5 in PCS no matter how hard she tries. She should be wise to choose retirement. Morosov as Mira Leung's coach?? LOL. Morosov is coaching the most talented skaters such as Takahashi, Miki and maybe even Pang & Tong in the world, not some #24 in the world.

Joannie really needs a new coach to be tough on her. It's not just whether a program suits her or not, she has to land jumps consistently in order to be a contender.

BTW, Canada never really has had a strong program in ladies' discipline, that's not sth unexpected. To maintain top 10 is okay considering the extremely deep field at the moment. You can't expect to have everything. Canada has ice dancing at the moment, that should be enough.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
how awful that skating judges are judging like they were at a Miss America paegent... if they are doing as iloveaxel suggests

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
how awful that skating judges are judging like they were at a Miss America paegent... if they are doing as iloveaxel suggests

Well it's not just me. Remember all the virtriolic reaction towards Mira Leung across the skating boards. I was actually the one who defended her. But it does not appear to work out. I don't think she can change her unappealing line across the ice, it's awkward. :love:

Is there anyway to change her?? I watched xue shen's 1994 worlds debut on youtbe . She's also very awkward, but look at how far she's gone.Maybe there is still some slim hope?

Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es-doWHlEQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HORNrTI2eU

Can you imagine they could become 3-time world champions from these two clips?

She's not going to be world champion, reality finally sinks in. :clap:

Last edited:
Re S/Z, it's not shocking to see these early clips. They're very strong technically at an early age and have some beautiful moves. Their death spiral was better then than now (why?).

OT: The announcers are the same ones as now!! love those guys. They're so positive about everybody. They point out mistakes but sound disappointed for the skaters instead of mean.

I disagree with iloveaxel as always about body types. Look at Takahashi. No way does that guy have an ideal body type for skating, but he is one of the strongest and most lyrical skaters out there and excels in the romantic style that you would normally associate with a taller slimmer skater. All skaters don't have to have the same body type - that would be boring. If Mira is out, it's not because of her body type but because of her lack of humility, her stubborn refusal to correct mistakes, and maybe her mom.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Rochette battled back and that's a victory for her in itself. Anyone who throws an uncharacteristic dud in the SP and can battle back in the FS has my respect.

Still don't get the hating on Leung though :chorus: :scratch:

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
. Their death spiral was better then than now (why?).

. If Mira is out, it's not because of her body type but because of her lack of humility, her stubborn refusal to correct mistakes, and maybe her mom.

That death spiral was an easy one. I don't know the technical details, but S/Z can do classisic death spiral beautifully if u watch their 2003/2004 seasons' programs. However, they have to choose those 'CoP death spirals' these days to rack up the points. They were the only one who did the most difficult 'forward inside edge'(I believe) death spiral. Even it's not asethically appealing, it's still far faster and smoother than all the other weird CoP death spirals other pairs do these days.

Regarding Mira, I don't know. I did not think body line was the biggest obstacle for her in the past, but perhaps I just had a bad day when I watched her on TV last night. It's simply not appealing. What music should she skate to? What areas should she improve upon? I suddent realized her prospect is quite bleak.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Rochette battled back and that's a victory for her in itself. Anyone who throws an uncharacteristic dud in the SP and can battle back in the FS has my respect.

:

She also battled back at 2006 Turino Olympics. It's old news. She has to lay down two back-to-back clean programs to have any slim chance even to make into top 5 these days.

Yeah - it really seems like her future is hanging on the loyalty and kindness of Canadian federation, fans, and coaches... because she has done everything possible to undermine herself.

But heck - look at Arakawa and Ando's career patterns... it's not always a smooth path to the top. Hopefully this is a hitting-bottom experience for Mira and she will change her ways. She's young enough to do that.

ETA: Thanks for the info about the death spiral!

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I don't really know what's happened to Joannie. We saw her at Nats in London and she was hitting triple-triples like nobody's business. In practice, she was so solid on all the jumps. has she lost her confidence now that she's been figures in as a top-ten contender? I don't know. She has good technique and she has good flow out of the jumos so there's no reason not to eb able to put on the second triple, except the mental component. I think Joannie has to find some renewed belief in herself.

One thing was clear from this Worlds: you need the 3-3 combo now.

Mira? Well, I think the article in the other post alludes to what's going on: she's not listening to her coach, about anything. She an work her tail off but if she doesn't listen to those in-the-know, it's pointless. That double axel was absolutely atrocious in the short.

Last edited: