tips for jumps two rotations or higher | Golden Skate

tips for jumps two rotations or higher

chinesechanfan

Rinkside
this is open to any1. you can talk about any jump that is over two rotations. i'll start first: i just started on double axel. my first attempt, i landed backwards. but my problem with this is that i can never land jumps unless they are squared to begin with. any techniques to help my jumps stay squared in the air?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I've heard breathing in as you begin to push off is helpful. I would say it is but anything that gets told to me helps my patheticness. Nancy K also said it on her special a while back, saying it keeps you straight - I don't know whether to agree or not??? I am horrible regular ice time guy and don't compete. But this is what I heard and it got me to land a few and "feel" straight anyway. It also knocked the wind out of me if I fell.:laugh:

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I've heard breathing in as you begin to push off is helpful.

I do the exact opposite and exhale.

I've had a good amount of training as a singer and have been trained to let my stomach and chest expand and let as much air in as possible whenever I breathe. When jumping, you really want to keep everything as tight and pulled in as possible.

~Z

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Thanks ^ makes sense to keep centering in close.

Ditto on the singing. Maybe I was inflating my chest to a size B and it was throwing me off.:laugh:

No I just suck:laugh:

So Nancy and "prior company" comments are wrong? Went to look for the clip but not found.

Well if I hit the rink and feel brave maybe I'll try the 2f now.:agree: Thanks.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
that's great that you got the double axel like that. I just landed my first one clean two weeks ago after trying them since october. I think of a big axel and then snap in as hard as i can. good luck.

chinesechanfan

Rinkside
well, ppl say that i have a HUGE axel. and i feel it too. like when i jump up in the air for my SINGLE axel, my legs dont even close in. but my problem is that i dont know the snap in for the double axel. so now, im not even landing my double lutz (like it was so close to landing that my coaches told me to just land the jump), but im attempting double axels and triple sals. all of the transfering foot jumps (axel, double sal, and double toes) are HUGE. when i first landed them five yrs ago, it was like that. now i just so happen to have problems with loop flip and lutzes. my flip is the most consistent out of all of the three inconsistent ones. i have the tendancy of having huge jumps but no quick feet, no combinations and very inconsistant, total opposite of what most most ppl i know have.

my way to land the flip is to follow through and dont use your shoulders. my coach told me that for loop, flip and lutz, you dont really need to use your shoulders for momentum just use your ankles. but my problem is that even if i dont use them, i still fall out of the circle.

chinesechanfan

Rinkside
how do u get strong takeoff edges for d. axel? i really need to land it b4 summer ends , same with triple sal and triple toe. i need to know the fastest way to land these jumps while im taking time off to nurse my ankle injury (on my landing leg). r there any off-ice exercise (like conditioning, etc.) that i could do so that i could be back in track when start training again this wed.?