View Poll Results: who's gonna win 2010 olympics?

Voters
294. You may not vote on this poll
  • jeffrey buttle

28 9.52%
  • brian joubert

53 18.03%
  • johnny weir

30 10.20%
  • evan lysacek

19 6.46%
  • stefan lambiel

40 13.61%
  • daisuke takahashi

77 26.19%
  • nobunari oda

11 3.74%
  • others

36 12.24%

Thread: who's gonna win 2010 olympic part two

Hybrid View

On the Ice

who's gonna win 2010 olympic part two

now that 2010 is coming up in the next two years, i think it's safe to make predictions cuz spontaneous improvements won't happen cuz of the CoP system. it enforces it, but so far, no one is making it happen.

Tripping on the Podium
    Hmm, I don't think that's entirely true.

Everyone has been hopping around in results the last two years, I think. Tomas Verner's scores, for example, have risen substantially. There are new skaters to the Senior Level that could do the same. Lambiel and Joubert also have had some result jumps in either direction. Weir hasn't been doing as well, Lysacek is a wild card (it's hard to tell where he'll place most of the time). There are also skaters that may or may not develop the quad consistantly in that time.

And your poll doesn't include Plushenko! He might go for two Olympic titles, you never know.

Custom Title
    I think it should be among Joubert, Lambiel, Takahashi, and Plushenko. I chose Joubert. I love Lambiel's skating more but he has the triple axel issue, I don't know if he could overcome it by that time. Also I'm not sure if he will have the motivation issue again in 2010. Both Joubert and Lambiel have better quad abilities than Takahashi, but Takahashi has the ability to out skate them like in this Worlds. Plushenko will be a bit too old by 2010 if he decides to go to Vancouver. He will skate well, he will do the quad, but I don't know if he will still win the title. I think in general, the quad rules.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 03-25-2007 at 10:55 PM.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I voted for Brian, Daisuke and Johnny.

Dee

Banned
    Plushenko and Verner should also be poll options, in fact if you wanted to limit it to 7 they would have made more sense then either Buttle or Weir at this point.

Tripping on the Podium
    Actually, I'd say Plushenko and Verner would be good choices for additions to the poll. However, I'd remove Oda instead of Buttle especially; he finished ahead of him this year. His short program meltdown, if repeated at an Olympics, would be utterly fatal to a chance at medals.

Buttle, on the other hand, is entirely unpredictable at this point. He had a good showing for such a short season; his training was also halved due to his injury.

All in all, I still feel it's too early to make a decision on the winner. These boys are always full of surprises.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    2010 is still three years a way, so these skaters have a lot of mileage to put on before then. I think it all comes down to who has the stamina to hang in there until 2010 and who has not sustained injuries.

Of course I am pulling for my Canadian boy - Jeff!!!! It would be great if he wins and great if he makes the podium gold, silver or bronze - I will be proud of him no matter what.

Go Jeff!!! I know you will make us proud here in Vanouver in 2010!!

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    2010 is still three years a way, so these skaters have a lot of mileage to put on before then. I think it all comes down to who has the stamina to hang in there until 2010 and who has not sustained injuries.
    I totally agree with this... Its impossible to say who will even compete, much less who'd win... These discussions are all about favorites and their rivals from the past. How do I know this? Because I'm a Kwan fan... and based on this question, Kwan would've won gold in 2002 and silver 2006 - sharing that podium with Irina and Cohen. Its impossible to even guess what'll happen three years down the road.

But because I love to guess at things - I've voted for Brian Joubert - simply because he's who I want to see win - nothing more, nothing less.

Rinkside
    I voted for Jeff

On the Ice

Daisuke all the way!!!

Even post-2008 Worlds result, my vote is for Daisuke Takahashi. He already has the talent, such a complete skater, but the next two years will be a good chance for him to gain more experience in dealing with the pressure that comes with the expectations placed on an predicted gold medalist rather than that placed on merely a contender. He has demonstrated the ability to upgrade his skills and to re-invent his style with interesting routines time and time again. He also has the humble demeanor that only true champions have. My ideal medal podium for Vancouver would have Daisuke getting the gold, Stephane the silver and perhaps Jeff or Takahiko Kozuka the bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by nippponophile View Post
    Even post-2008 Worlds result, my vote is for Daisuke Takahashi. He already has the talent, such a complete skater, but the next two years will be a good chance for him to gain more experience in dealing with the pressure that comes with the expectations placed on an predicted gold medalist rather than that placed on merely a contender. He has demonstrated the ability to upgrade his skills and to re-invent his style with interesting routines time and time again. He also has the humble demeanor that only true champions have. My ideal medal podium for Vancouver would have Daisuke getting the gold, Stephane the silver and perhaps Jeff or Takahiko Kozuka the bronze.
    I agree with you. If Daisuke improves in his spins (like Stephane's!) and quads (like Joubert's!) and dealing with his nerves (like Plush's), then he'd be unbeatable. What I like about him is his artistry. While I like him skating to dramatic, sensual music the best, he is capable of doing a lot of different things, too. So exciting to watch. If he can deal with his nerves (this is the biggest one and I am not so sure), he would be the very favorite.

I feel that Takehito Kozuka might be a bit too early to get on the podium considering his limited experience in senior. But I feel that he has a great chance in 2014.

I also would like to see Jeff on the podium again. I hope that he keeps his amazing clean skate that he did at Worlds. It was really magical. Something magnificent happened to him. What was it, Jeff? You had a tremendous transformation during a few weeks after the 4CC. I heard that he had so many clean programs in his practices that he didn't feel that he could make any mistakes.
    I am honestly not so certain if Jeff could keep having clean programs or incorporate a quad because Jeff had been rather inconsistent in his jumps most of the times and had trouble with the quad.
    But he proved that he had a great chance shooting the Olympic medal again if he is clean. It might be the case that the increased muscles and longer practice time that he had during the summer have finally shown their effects.
    I hope that he could keep his consistency in lutz and 3A and will get fairer PCSs that he has surely deserved. If he could have a consistent quad on top of these, it would be magnificent for him.
    I also hope that he won't get too nervous skating at home. He is a sincere person but I hope that he won't feel too much responsibility to please the home crowd.

I am not quite sure if Stephane stays in amature skating. But if he does, I would love to see him on the podium.

Johnny is getting better, too. I think that he still needs to improve a bit to get on the podium without relying on others' failures. But it would be really beautiful if he gets bronze or silver.

I actually think that Tomas may have the biggest chance. He is a rising star. I feel that he'd be mentally strong by nature although he happened to meltdown here and there this season. But once he gets used to skating at big competitions, I think that he's going to be very difficult to beat. He has everything, except for the edge call in flip. His edges quality in his basic skating is simply amazing. I also love his wonderful spins and fabulous steps on top of great jumps.
    Last edited by Bennett; 04-05-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by nippponophile View Post
    He also has the humble demeanor that only true champions have.
    My feeling exactly.

Rinkside
    Hello to you all.

IMO, Evgeni will win another Olympic medal if he is physically able to compete by 2010.

Given the absolutely bleh performance in Torino, he may want to make up for it and try a comeback to show he can still do his boyish show-offish style. I have no qualms about his return except he may be hindering another young Russian skater from making his mark.

Joe

Rinkside

Jeff buttle !!

He is already perfect (Except just only one - quad)

If he will succeed in Quad, no one is able to defeat him.
    Jeff is really really working hard for it,
    And He will succeed.

Go, Jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good luck
    Last edited by wonssoyou; 04-09-2008 at 11:55 PM.