Votes: 77 26.4%
  • nobunari oda

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • others

Votes: 36 12.3%

• Total voters

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
It's kind of tricky to compare scores earned in different competitions. I think that 2006 NHK Trophy was the competition that was by and large overmarked. Nobunari got very high score as well. Takahashi has great artistry, but Plush seems to be stronger in jumps.

I thought Takahashi's scores at NHK were fine, Oda's were too high though.

Ximena

Final Flight
morninglight, I do agree that it's hard to compare how two skaters based on their marks in differents events, but the point I was trying to make is that Evgeni has scored higher than Joubert on a regular basis, and with Evgeni not always being at his best or completly clean.

I do think Lambiel, if he gets a consistent triple axels could challenge Plushenko since he gets the sames PCS scores than Plush.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
To be honest I think Joubert would have been a bigger threat to Plushy under the old 6.0 system then the current one. People are led to believe Joubert is almost unbeatable by this season but none of his main competitors skated great competitions in any of the events he was in. A clean Lambiel would beat him everytime. A clean Takahashi would probably have most times this season even with his current jump content-and if Takahashi adds a quad in the short, and a second in the free, he even more obviously will. A clean Oda could even be competitive because of his level 4 elements, and huge GOEs, even without a quad. Plushenko would still have to have serious mistakes to lose to Joubert. Joubert even relied largely on the failings of his competitors in the Plushenko-less field to dominate this season, more then his invincible skating or anything.

Lambiel with a stabalized triple axel-if that ever happens, Oda with a mastered quad, or Takahashi with a bit of a further upgrade on consistency and adding an addition quad in both short and free, are the only possible threats to Plushenko. Joubert is not a major threat to Plushenko at all, unless he is far down from his former level IMHO. As of now, none of the above has happened, so Plushenko is the runaway favorite if he returns in his old form.

Last edited:

morninglight

On the Ice
Takahashi's coach (Nicolai) said to the media that he would do 4F (and 4S in the program for Miki). Let's see how it works:)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Takahashi's coach (Nicolai) said to the media that he would do 4F (and 4S in the program for Miki). Let's see how it works:)

Well I hope he is not trying jumps that are too much a reach for him. There is no point looking to gain a couple extra points doing even harder quads then the quad toes, when you are likely to miss them.

leode

Rinkside
Well I hope he is not trying jumps that are too much a reach for him. There is no point looking to gain a couple extra points doing even harder quads then the quad toes, when you are likely to miss them.

I don't think that Takahashi and Ando are only trying to get a extra points. Takahashi's coaches (Morozov and Utako) mentioned that experiencing the speed of a quad in the air will help his triples. It makes easier to do other triple jumps. As I watched Takahashi's new exhibition program on TV yesterday, it was so easy to jump 3F for him. This is very important factor to secure clean jumps at competitions.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
2010 is still three years a way, so these skaters have a lot of mileage to put on before then. I think it all comes down to who has the stamina to hang in there until 2010 and who has not sustained injuries.

Of course I am pulling for my Canadian boy - Jeff!!!! It would be great if he wins and great if he makes the podium gold, silver or bronze - I will be proud of him no matter what.

Go Jeff!!! I know you will make us proud here in Vanouver in 2010!!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I find it funny when people say Buttle is a possible OGM candidate. That's ridiculous. That's just me though. IQUOTE]

Why does this sound ridiculous? Jeff is already a Bronze Olympic medalist from the 2006 Games in Turin.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
2010 is still three years a way, so these skaters have a lot of mileage to put on before then. I think it all comes down to who has the stamina to hang in there until 2010 and who has not sustained injuries.

I totally agree with this... Its impossible to say who will even compete, much less who'd win... These discussions are all about favorites and their rivals from the past. How do I know this? Because I'm a Kwan fan... and based on this question, Kwan would've won gold in 2002 and silver 2006 - sharing that podium with Irina and Cohen. Its impossible to even guess what'll happen three years down the road.

But because I love to guess at things - I've voted for Brian Joubert - simply because he's who I want to see win - nothing more, nothing less.

Vitacus

Rinkside
Someone (can't remember which poster) posted that Plushenko would be too old for another OGM, at the tender age of 27 (which is probably true) and then suggested Buttle as the next OGM, but isn't Buttle the same age as Plushenko?

According to their biographies at ISU.org, Buttle is born 01-09-82 and Plushenko is born 03-11-82. Unless these facts are incorrect then...

In fact, Buttle is slightly older, hehe!

Last edited:

Vitacus

Rinkside
As for the poll, it's really hard to predict and logically the battle is probably going to be between Takahashi, Lambiel, Joubert and Weir....

I'm not ruling out Plushenko nor Buttle, but realisticly it's much harder on the body at the age of 27.

As for the poll, it's really hard to predict and logically the battle is probably going to be between Takahashi, Lambiel, Joubert and Weir....

I'm not ruling out Plushenko nor Buttle, but realisticly it's much harder on the body at the age of 27.
Good post. You are not listing your favorite as so many others are, but analyzing the field. Good job!!!

Joe

stevlin

On the Ice
Buttle is a lovely skater

I find it funny when people say Buttle is a possible OGM candidate. That's ridiculous. That's just me though. IQUOTE]

Why does this sound ridiculous? Jeff is already a Bronze Olympic medalist from the 2006 Games in Turin.

Jeff Buttle skates beautifully. He has won the Olympic Bronze and deserved it too. He connects his jumps with such elegant moves. He has been training hard, put on some muscle and is working on the quads. He has a gorgeous style on the ice and he is adorable. He certainly is no robot.:agree: