Votes: 77 26.4%
  • nobunari oda

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • others

Votes: 36 12.3%

• Total voters

moviechick

On the Ice
Anyways, back to the original topic. I think it'll be between Takahashi, Joubert and Lambiel (if he can regain consistency). If any of these three falters, I would include Buttle, Weir or Lysacek as contenders as well (but if those three skate well, probably not). But you never know these days-- it could be anyone's game at the Olympics.

lcd

Match Penalty
North Americans will have an edge, but Canadians have traditionally had such unbearable pressure on them. My 'wish' would be for Buttle, and Chan has a real chance (not amongst the choices I notice). Weir and Lycacek could cancel each other out and an artistic newcomer with little pressure like Jeremy Abbott could rise to the occassion (think, Paul Wylie in Albertville). Canadian audiences are so knowledgeable and the preparation that screaming fans in Japan give to someone like Takahashi, could put him in good stead heading into the pressure cooker of the Olympics. Russian come backs... will be too tough. Lambiel... love him, but 'meal ticket' moves like Triple Axel... too unreliable.

stevlin

On the Ice
why not Buttle? After all.....

I find it funny when people say Buttle is a possible OGM candidate. That's ridiculous. That's just me though.

I think it could be either Joubert or Plushenko. If Plushenko comes back, then I think he would need a 4t/3t/3t to win over Brian Joubert and others without question, since everything else he does the other top men are capable of doing, as well (such as the 4t/3t, which wasn't as common, say, two years ago).

Why not Buttle, after all he did win Worlds with a beautiful sp and lp. I bet you thought he would never have won Worlds, huh? He did with many points over 2nd place Joubert. Maybe the judges like to see beautiful flawless programs? He will be working on the quad soon. I have seen jeff do a perfect quad with a double toe on the end of it. Jeffrey has a World, gold, silver and an Olympic bronze to his credit, so don't count him out. :p

JClairUSF

Spectator
Exactly. Hardly anyone said he'd be a world metal contender this year either.

If there's anything that this year taught me is....

NEVER count anyone out...

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Exactly. Hardly anyone said he'd be a world metal contender this year either.

If there's anything that this year taught me is....

NEVER count anyone out...

Absolutely. A lot of people even claimed that Jeff was past his prime and that he should retire from competition. He's the world champ now, and his critics are STILL eager to write him off. :mad: Sheesh, there's just no pleasing some folks. Well, let them underestimate him; that clearly works in Jeff's favour! :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think the question with Jeffrey Buttle is whether or not he can skate clean & with the planned content. Up until 2008 Worlds - which he deservedly won - this was often an issue at major competitions, which is why I think he was discounted as a serious contender (yes, I know he won a medal in Torino - but that was not a night of great skating, to say the least). Obviously if he can skate his SP and LP as he did at Worlds this year in Vancouver, he's got a good shot at it. If not, he'll finish off the podium unless we have another Torino-like competition (as a skating fan, I certainly hope not).