Oscar Picks - Actress in a Leading Role | Golden Skate

Oscar Picks - Actress in a Leading Role

J

Jules Asner

Re: Oscar Picks - Actress in a Leading Role

Julianne @#%$ was intended to read: JULIANNEMOORE

4dogknight

It's time and more that Nicole Kidman was recognized as more than the charm on Tom's (what's his last name?) bracelet.

4dk

J

Jules Asner

My vote goes to Diane Lane but I think the oscar may go to Renee Zellweger. I think the least deserving is Nicole -- not that she wasn't any good, I just thought Diane, Julianne, Renee & Salma were better.

M

mathman444

By a weird coincidence I just saw The Hours this afternoon. I haven't seen any of the others, so I guess I don't have the right to vote. But I did anyway. I thought Kidman was amazing. She might not get it, though, because it was really the whole ensemble that deserves the praise. Kidman was on screen only for a third of it (she had fewer lines that Meryl Streep, I think), although her character drove the movie.

Mathman

J

Jules Asner

yea, I think Meryl Streep was more of the Lead in that film, or at least the three ladies shared the "Lead" role as they seemed to have equal importance and time on screen.
I think they decided to pick the one they thought had the best chance and promote her as the lead. personally, I thought JulianneMoore was the best performance of the three and I don't usually even like her all that much. She really captured that character to a tee.

M

mathman444

I agree about JulianneMoore. She had the least to work with, but just by showing close-ups of her face she conveyed more than a lot of dialogue would have.

J

Joesitz

Jules - The winners in the SAG Awards were:

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis
Actress: Rene Zelweger
Support Actor: Christopher Walken
Actress: Catherine Zita Jones

These same selections can carry over into the Oscars very easily.

Joe

J

Jules Asner

ITA Joe, i think those are the most likely winners, but occasionally you get a surprise. for my oscar pool I may go with those SAG winners to be safe and hopefully win the pool.

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I love all five of these ladies. I think this was an amazing year for lead actresses (lets look at the ones that got snubbed: Jennifer Aniston-The Good Girl, Maggie Gyllenhoul-Secretary, Brenda Blethyn- Lovely and Amazing, Meryl Streep- The Hours, Cameron Diaz-Gangs of New York-I know she was slated for supporting, but c'mon, she was the lead) I think all that got snubbed gave amazing performances.

Now for the five amazing women that did get in, I think I like JulianneMOORE the best, because I felt Far From Heaven was such a great little seen movie.

J

Jules Asner

I wouldn't say Cameron Diaz, for one thing her 'Irish' accent was the worst impression of an Irish accent I've ever heard. It was really awful. I lived in an Irish community for years and she sounded awful (actually comically bad).

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I agree with the accent, I really think American actors need to study a real Irish accent rather than just try to fake it.

However, I thought she made up for it with the rest of her acting, such as the spirit she put in it. I actually liked her best in Gangs, although that isn't really saying much.

Oh, btw, I forgot Catherine Keener in Lovely and Amazing for the snub reply. It's funny that Catherine and Camreon are in the same topic because both of them were great in Being John Malkovich, the best movie of 1999, IMO.

J

Jules Asner

the only thing worse than Cameron was Johnny Depp's Irish brogue in "Chocolat" -- I thought he was gonna come after me lucky charms -- I guess we could blame the director since the character was supposed to be a French gypsy that he turned Irish for some unknown reason. I sat in an empty theater with a friend watching Chocolat and every time Johnny spoke we burst into a fit of giggles.

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

lol, I remember Chocolat. I think we have the screenwriter to blame. He is the one that made all the changes. Still, as bad as Chocolat was it was better than the trash that one Best Picture that year.

Back to topic, even if we don't include Cameron to the list of snubs, we still have a big depth of lead actresses that were considered for Best Actress. Lets look at the Best Supporting Actress, 3 of the 5 nominated are actually in lead roles. The Studios of the films put them in supporting so they have a bigger chance of a nomination. Which is pretty unfair to other deserving performances (Patricia Clarkson-Far From Heavon, Toni Collete-About A Boy come to mind).

This is a lot better than last year.

J

Jules Asner

ITA - -and Richard Gere who put himself in as a Lead actor (and was not nominated) when I personally think his role was a supporting role and I think he would have been nominated if he had gone for supporting role. Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee shared the Lead role in Chicago IMO. If both went for "lead" the votes would likely be split and cost both of them the oscar.

and you're right, the screenwriter is to blame for chocolat. he/she also changed the child's imaginary pet rabbit into a kangaroo and the 'resident bad guy' from the town priest to the mayor and left out a major relevation at the end of the novel.

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I still can't believe his unfaithful screenplay was nominated for an Oscar too. I would understand if he was unfaithful for the better, but many people hated his changes.

J

Jules Asner

Salma was on SNL last weekend. It was funny, she was doing 'campaigns' for Frida in which she accused Chicago of supporting terrorism and Renee Zellweger of being a cross-dresser and having "cahunas".

B

BronzeisGolden02

I'll have to go with Nicole Kidman. I believe she is an exceptional actress. She is so understated and her power (for me) comes from that. She anchored "The Others" with an amazing performance and was also incredible in "Moulin Rouge". I remember also being very impressed by her "To Die For" performance. Her performance in "The Hours" was truly first rate and I would give it to her. Julianne @#%$ is another one of my favorites and she was oh so good in "Far From Heaven". So, if either of them win I'll be happy. LOL, I kinda want Nicole to win because she just seems like such a normal, nice person. She's held it together so well under an unimaginable mass of media interest in the failure of a major component of her life.

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I thought if Nicole was nominated for "The Others" instead of "Moulin Rouge", then her chances for winning would have increased. Like you said Bronze, she anchored "The Others" and w/o her performance, that movie wouldn't have been as good.