Mira Leung - Statement | Golden Skate

Mira Leung - Statement

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hello all,

This is a statement I wish to make regarding my injury in Tokyo.

On the day that I was scheduled to skate my short program in Tokyo, I felt a stabbing pain in my left heel when I put my skates on. I couldn't practice, and had to go see our team doctor and physiotherapist Dr. Judith Proulx. Her diagnosis was that the pain was caused by tendonitis in my Achilles heel, and attributed my injury to a possibility of breaking in my new skates. But I decided to take a gamble on the hopes that the pain would ebb, and made up my mind that I would not withdraw as well as keep this injury confidential until the event was over.

Without a practice that day, I tried an ice massage before the warm-up and skated my short program with only a dull ache in my left heel. The next day, the pain had vanished at first, but gradually returned after twenty minutes on my morning practice for the long program. I did an ice massage again prior to the long program warm-up, and everything seemed to get along fine. My long program got off to good start, until I took off for my third jump, the triple salchow. The stabbing pain returned when I took off on my left foot, and it continued throughout the rest of the program.

When I got off the ice, I was disappointed that things had turned out this way, but still glad that I hadn't withdrawn and fought to the end instead. I still wanted to keep quiet about my injury until the end of the event as I didn't want to affect the other skaters who were about to compete.

I have no regrets about the decisions I made in Tokyo, and it is a relief that I can now start treatment and recovery as Dr. Proulx recommended for my left heel.

I plan to make some great developments over this summer, and look forward to an excellent season in September.

Thank you,

Mira

dlarry1

Rinkside
Was this sent directly to an administrator, or was it a press release?

If it's a direct e-mail, I guess this answers the question posed on another thread as to whether senior international skaters are reading the board...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow. that could explain things. With all the negative comments and articles on her after her last place finish, this makes sense.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was this sent directly to an administrator, or was it a press release?

Both.

If it's a direct e-mail, I guess this answers the question posed on another thread as to whether senior international skaters are reading the board...

Yes, skaters, coaches, etc. lurk and post here. They are people too :)

This is disturbing and a bit confusing since we now have two different explanations from Mira and her coach of her FP. (See Worlds Forum for her comments to media - some are linked in Rochette thread.) Everyone would have supported her if she said she was skating injured.

It's not easy to deal with the media and fans, but it can be learned, sometimes the hard way. Of course fans prefer winners. But they also like honesty, modesty, and taking responsibility for one's poor performances. They will support an underdog and will give an injured athlete a break. But they don't like excuses or the "blame game." And athletes need to be very careful with big talk. It can so easily come back and haunt them.

As for media, it always screws up your words and slants the story to fit their predetermined angle. So decide your message in advance, boil it down to about 10 words, and stick to it. Don't let them catch you in a blurt you'll regret later, possibly for years.

Still, I didn't really imagine that the skaters we discuss might be reading our own chatter. I will be more careful with my own big talk.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Shows what a gutsy skater she is. Good for her. I believe in Mira!!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mira never mentioned the heel injury after the SP, when she said she had skated a clean program and the judges were wrong about the underrotated 2A. She never mentioned the injury when in the post-SP interview she predicted she would finish 8th in the FS.

And I don't understand "I still wanted to keep quiet about my injury until the end of the event as I didn't want to affect the other skaters who were about to compete."

Why would Mira's reporting an injury affect other skaters? What other skaters?

This statement sounds very similar to Sasha Cohen's journal entries after a disappointing performances: the spider bite, shingles, etc. While I am sure Mira really did have pain in her foot, I don't think that alone can explain two dismal performances.

backoutsideedge

Rinkside

When I got off the ice, I was disappointed that things had turned out this way, but still glad that I hadn't withdrawn and fought to the end instead. I still wanted to keep quiet about my injury until the end of the event as I didn't want to affect the other skaters who were about to compete.

Mira

Mira is delusional if she thinks that her "injury" would affect the other skaters who were about to compete. Like they would give a second thought to this or even care about her injury status.

I wonder if Mama Leung made her write this.

The only way Leung will improve is to get her away from her mother.

For me, I'm just waiting to see how long it is before McLeod "fires" her again.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mira is delusional. Period.

She lives in a closed universe which consists of herself and her mother. The coach, Skate Canada and the ISU judges are satellites which move around them but have no direct influence on the center of their universe.

Linny

Final Flight
Not so closed

Seemed like the implication earlier was that if she sent her email direction to this forum administrator, then she might actually be reading some of the posts. That kinda of opens up her universe a little, doesn't it? Maybe it's not so closed after all.

Not for nothing... but even the people in the back and beyond of China, literally living in caves, several miles away from the road, carting everything they don't grow themselves in by foot, even these people have an internet connection (satelite dish). Everywhere, the vision of the world is reaching beyond the closest horizon.

Linny

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What she reads on the boards doesn't necessarily affect her to the point where she is going to change something about herself. All she did was make excuses for her poor performances at Worlds this year.

She wants fans to applaud for her, that's why she wrote the email. That doesn't mean there is going to be a radical change in the way she practices or in her relationship with her coach.

That she would even think her email was going to change her image in any great way is in itself delusional. Actions speak louder than words, Mira, should you happen to be reading this.

rain

Record Breaker
I think the injury does go some way to explaining what really was a sub-par performance from Leung. Whatever her problems are, she is usually a very consistent performer, not falling all over the place as she did in her LP.

Nevertheless, she does still have a number of serious issues she needs to address in terms of technique that long pre-date this heel problem. I hope she does so.

jp1andonly

Rinkside
She was at the rink this week.

Honestly, its the blame game. while I'm sure she might have had an injury (who could go without one skating 8 hours a day) I don't think she should have or needed to write the press statement. It makes her look tacky.

this year I've actually seen fear or fright in her eyes before she skates. Her underrotated jumps are catching up and she's old enough to start figuring things out.

I think the injury does go some way to explaining what really was a sub-par performance from Leung. Whatever her problems are, she is usually a very consistent performer, not falling all over the place as she did in her LP.

Nevertheless, she does still have a number of serious issues she needs to address in terms of technique that long pre-date this heel problem. I hope she does so.

passion

On the Ice
She may have a problem with her Achillie's tendon, but she can easily use that for convenience sake and embellish it in order to get the sympathy of people. That is exactly how it appears. Unfortunately, her well constructed media statement makes her appear pathetically desparate for the sympathy of people and reveals her cocky, self-absorbed nature. I think her attempts to justify her poor performance has back-fired.

BTW, does anybody know if this letter was written with the input or suggestion of Joanne McCleod?

R.D.

Record Breaker
how do we know she wrote this on her own free will? If Leung and mom are as tight as some posters are saying they are...suppose mom, fed or coach made her write that statement?!

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Unfortunately, her well constructed media statement makes her appear pathetically desparate for the sympathy of people and reveals her cocky, self-absorbed nature. I think her attempts to justify her poor performance has back-fired.

BTW, does anybody know if this letter was written with the input or suggestion of Joanne McCleod?

How has it back fired? You guys obsession with her is just amusing. If Mira is really that horrible, why do you even bother commenting on her?

The hatred towards Mira Leung is sort of a reflection of some ugly human nature. Mira Leung is not an orthodox skater, and her 'rebellious' image certainly has made lots of 'coventional' figure skating fans very uncomfortable.

Sorry for my bias, but I assume a majority of Mira haters are old women since they have a tendency to force skaters to conform to their 'old' standards. They are obessed with trivial stuff such as panties, socks, gossips etc. When these skaters do not meet their 'standards' and refuse to do change, they usually have this vitriolic reaction.

Personally, I don't really care about Mira's skating anymore, but I just relish her rebellious image, and her willingness to challenge the 'old timers' also makes me very happy.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
but I just relish her rebellious image, and her willingness to challenge the 'old timers' also makes me very happy.

I don't know if I am missing something, but I don't get that from her at all. Particularly if compared to some of the known "rabelrozers." Maybe not conforming to fans comments but "rebel I am not connecting. I guess I am asking what I am missing?