Sandhu vs Mabee and other young Canadians | Golden Skate

Sandhu vs Mabee and other young Canadians

temperboy28

Match Penalty
I remember earlier around the time of Canadians having a heated argument with several that Sandhu was no longer much better then up and coming Canadians like Mabee and Sawyer, and was even close to being passed by by them. I also said I wished he would just call it a day, and would like to see the younger skaters gain the experience to groom for the future rather then using one of those spots on a skater clearly past his best before date. I also said Sandhu was only fighting for a spot in the bottom of the top 10 at Worlds, that he would have to have a really good competition for him to make the bottom part of the top 10, and if he didnt have a really good competition would not make the top 10. In addition to all that I pointed out Mabee's PCS in the long at Canadians being comparable to Sandhu's, and how Sandhu's PCS would continue to drop internationaly. I was told Mabee would get nowhere near the PCS internationaly of Sandhu, and how Sandhu will always score above a 7.0 average(70 in the long, 35 in the short)on his PCS.

Well since then Mabee has gone on to beat Sandhu 2 more times to give him 3 wins in a row vs him. Sandhu has seen his PCS drop below the 7.0 average in every single of the 4 programs he has done since Canadians. Mabee had a mistake-filled free skate at Worlds like Sandhu, Mabee's TES were only 3 points higher then Sandhu's, and he still managed to beat Sandhu by about 1 point on his PCS in the long in front of INTERNATIONAL judges. Indeed Mabee is passing Sandhu by, Sandhu's PCS are no longer going to be over the 7.0 average outside of Canada, and Mabee is starting to compete with Sandhu on the PCS-their PCS comparision at Canadians was no fluke. Sandhu did not have a particularly good competition at Worlds and missed the top 10, the scoring protocals show him requiring to be really "on" to have finished anywhere from 7th to 10th.

It also indeed seems even more clear now Canada is best grooming the younger skaters for the future rather then continuing to send a has been who is merely fighting to get into the low part of the top 10, just like our up and comers like Mabee are who it is of better benefit for our future to gain the experience and to be allowed to grow. Mabee with his 7th in the short showed some good potential, it is best to help groom skaters like this for the future, then hope Sandhu puts it all together-which he probably doesnt-to eke out barely finishing in the top 10-again which he probably wont as he wont have the very good competition now required for him to even reach top 10.