Will Lysacek complete a Michael Weiss-like career? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Will Lysacek complete a Michael Weiss-like career?

Will Evan Lysacek's career end up as Michael Weiss's did?

• yes he will indeed go onto to a Weiss-like career from here

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • no he will have a better career then Weiss and add more World medal(s)

Votes: 41 50.6%
  • he will not even be able to go onto a Weiss-like career

Votes: 9 11.1%

• Total voters
I have to agree with Jaana. It's like Uncle Dick always says, "Don't leave it on the practice ice." Same principal. I'm not saying this holds true for everyone, but you want to peak at the right time. You don't want to peak at Nationals in an Olympic year, or if you've got your sights on a World medal.
Certainly if you could choose your fate you would rather have your best performance at the biggest event. But there is still a question in my mind about the best way to approach that lesser event.

Let's say Nationals are tomorrow and the Olympics are six weeks later. How should I prepare for Nationals? Should I say, I better not skate my best because if I do the skate gods might shoot me down in the Olympics?

Or should I say, I'll skate my best tomorrow, then go to work the next day preparing for the Olympics?

Sarah Hughes is a good example. She skated great at Skate America, almost beating Michelle (some say she did beat Michelle). She skated great at Skate Canada, beating both Michelle and Irina, both for the first time ever. She skated great at Nationals, beating fresh star Sasha Cohen for second place. Having this momentum on her side, she skated great in the LP at Salt Lake City, winning the gold medal when her more accomplished rivals faltered. That's Big Mo (momentum, LOL).

As I said anyway Evan would not have medaled at Worlds even with a clean free skate. The scoring protocals make that pretty obvious, he probably would have moved up to 4th, but that is it.
He would not have medaled, but still he would have had the satisfaction of knowing that he gave his best.

Takahashi's performance was magical, Lambiel's LP was super despite leaving points on the table through mistakes and Joubert was too far ahead after the short for anyone to have a realistic chance to catch him.

Altogether, a fine season for Evan. Two excellent performances (at U.S. Nationals and Four Continents), plus he is gaining confidence in his quad. Sometimes you win, sometimes the other guy does.

scorekeeper

On the Ice
Certainly if you could choose your fate you would rather have your best performance at the biggest event. But there is still a question in my mind about the best way to approach that lesser event.

Let's say Nationals are tomorrow and the Olympics are six weeks later. How should I prepare for Nationals? Should I say, I better not skate my best because if I do the skate gods might shoot me down in the Olympics?

Or should I say, I'll skate my best tomorrow, then go to work the next day preparing for the Olympics?

Sarah Hughes is a good example. She skated great at Skate America, almost beating Michelle (some say she did beat Michelle). She skated great at Skate Canada, beating both Michelle and Irina, both for the first time ever. She skated great at Nationals, beating fresh star Sasha Cohen for second place. Having this momentum on her side, she skated great in the LP at Salt Lake City, winning the gold medal when her more accomplished rivals faltered. That's Big Mo (momentum, LOL).

I would think it depends on the individual athlete. Over the years I've heard commentators say "X peaks early/late in the season". It seems to me that if you pace your training right, it's possible to peak at the "right" time, whenever that may be. I know that some actors I have worked with tend to hold back in rehearsals, give it their all on the very first take, and in subsequent takes, they're still good, but not as good as that first take. Others try to nail the performance in rehearsal and then duplicate that for as many takes as necessary. And then there are those who fall somewhere in the middle - coming close to the performance they want in rehearsal, and nailing it after a few takes.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty

Sarah Hughes was not 2nd at the 2002 U.S Nationals, she was 3rd behind Cohen.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/even...tent/events/200102/uschamps/srladies-free.htm

Really? Thanks for the correction.

Well, there goes my theory. I guess she was laying low at Nationals after all, gearing up for the Olympics. :)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Really? Thanks for the correction.

Well, there goes my theory. I guess she was laying low at Nationals after all, gearing up for the Olympics. :)

Hughes skated very well at Nationals too though. Her short program was probably her best of the whole season, despite placing 3rd, much better then her Olympic short program. Her free skate had no triple-triple attempt, but was clean with 7 triples. Kwan of course was wonderful, as always at Nationals. Cohen had one of her most semi-clean free skates ever at that years Nationals. That is why Hughes came only 3rd.

emma

Record Breaker
I'm just now reading this thread....anyway, about Sarah Hughes - that season she just got better, and better with each competition. It truly was a perfect season for her, even if she didn't get gold or silver at nationals - I actually felt let down that she didn't go to worlds, it would've been cool if she could have sustained the season till the very end (and I, btw, was never a Hughes fan, just appreciated her work ethic and improvement very much, and found her competitive control very refreshing).

About Evan: I think it is still a wee bit early to predict, since he did have a kind of major break out season this year with adding the quad in fairly successfully. But, I do see it as a possibility that Evan will be the tried and true reliable competitor but not quite the top on the world scene. I wonder of his height is any kind of disadvantage for singles skating?

The way this topic is worded makes it seem like there is something wrong with being Michael Weiss.

Weiss won three national championships, two world bronze medals, and a couple of grand prix events. He was a two-time Olympian finishing a respectable 7th both times. He has appeared in many cheesefests, exhibitions and shows and is now a permanent cast member for SOI. Go Michael! :rock:

Lysacek does indeed seem to be well on his way toward a simlar list of accomplishments. Go Evan!