V/M of Ukaine-change partner? | Golden Skate

V/M of Ukaine-change partner?

hongligl

Final Flight
Just watched V/M's exhibit number. I suddenly realized what was wrong with this team, I had a vague feeling before and now I think that I nailed it. The girl is gorgeous, very classic; the guy on the other hand, is just no where close to an elite skater, no trace of ballet training, no emotion, wooden and clumsy. I seriously believe that if the girl has a better partner, only sky is the limit.

Am I alone on this?

euterpe

Medalist
It is my understanding that Volosozhar and Morosov are married, so no, I don't see this partnership breaking up.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Just watched V/M's exhibit number. I suddenly realized what was wrong with this team, I had a vague feeling before and now I think that I nailed it. The girl is gorgeous, very classic; the guy on the other hand, is just no where close to an elite skater, no trace of ballet training, no emotion, wooden and clumsy. I seriously believe that if the girl has a better partner, only sky is the limit.

Am I alone on this?

You only just noticed?! ;)

The Eurosport commentator Nicky Slater has a running joke at Euros that he never smiles.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I didn't notice it as much during the competition as I did in the exhibition. Hopefully he will improve some ... she is already quite wonderful.

gio

Medalist
I doubt it. Morozov is a very popular last name; its root, "moroz", means frost.

It's a root that is present in almost every Slavic language and we find that root in a lot of surnames from Slavic speaking countries. For example the skater Brandon Mroz.
Moroz (Russian), Mroz (Polish), Mraz (Slovene)...

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
And don't forget the former top 10 Czech icedancer Katerina Mrazova [with Martin Simecek], she's now a TS.

How appropriate for them all to be skaters. :)

I think both of V&M need to improve with facial expressions, I know it's hard whilst concentrating on all those elements, but that's really what has and will continue to hold them back over several seasons now. He just never improves in that dept. however long he skates.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
And don't forget the former top 10 Czech icedancer Katerina Mrazova [with Martin Simecek], she's now a TS.

I think both of V&M need to improve with facial expressions, I know it's hard whilst concentrating on all those elements, but that's really what has and will continue to hold them back over several seasons now. He just never improves in that dept. however long he skates.

To me he doesn't have the stretch. He seems very...held back. Reminds me a lot of how Jason Dungjen used to skate (in his amateur days). He was very held back...in fact, Kyoko and their coaches used to call him the sourpuss.

hongligl

Final Flight
You only just noticed?! ;)

The Eurosport commentator Nicky Slater has a running joke at Euros that he never smiles.

Well, 07 world was the first time I ever saw them, only the LP with very low quality video. Exhibit number is in HQ that's why I got a better look.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yes, I noticed that, but especially about Scott. He looks more as if he is concentrating hard on playing an instrument rather than dancing with a partner. He is somewhat like Victor Kraatz in that respect. Shae Lynn was the one who had the pizzazz in that partnership. Tessa isn't as expressionless as Scott, but she is no Shae Lynn, either.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
2007 worlds LP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVCCw3_-ZnI&mode=related&search=

2007 worlds gala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcM_r824Gcs

I really like them, but the sad part is that the male partner will probably always drag them down. They may have a chance to medal if other top teams stumble in the future.

I don't think it's his expression that really matters. The big concern is his stamina or lack of it. He reminds me of Alexei TIKHONOV, very clumsy and quite slow. Because of his problem, I don't see this team will be able to do some fast-paced, and powerful programs, and that's what the judges really want to see. Their consistency is another concern.

Too bad about his partner. She is perhaps the most talented female pair skater in the world. Technically she has amazing ability to do three sets of sbs tripls, huge twist and throws. Her flexibility & basic stroking are also extarodinary.

Can anybody tell me why Ukraine has produced so many great female pairs skaters??

Anyway, I wish the very best of this team since I really like their style, technical ability.

BTW, I just watched Aliona SAVCHENKO & Stanislav MOROZOV's 2000 worlds debut(?). Aliona singled her double axel 7 years ago and she did it again this year! Talking about consistency.

Last edited:

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes, I noticed that, but especially about Scott. He looks more as if he is concentrating hard on playing an instrument rather than dancing with a partner. He is somewhat like Victor Kraatz in that respect. Shae Lynn was the one who had the pizzazz in that partnership. Tessa isn't as expressionless as Scott, but she is no Shae Lynn, either.

LOL Chuck, this is a thread about V&M the Ukrainian Pairs skaters, not the Canadian icedancers. ;)
You've replied to comments I made about the Pairs team.