The US, the World, and North Korea | Golden Skate

The US, the World, and North Korea

S

sk8cynic

The US, the World, and North Korea

I am curious, given all the debate about the US/Iraq crisis, I am interested in what people think about the growing crisis in North Korea.

I find it a bit hypocritical that the UN security council is adamant that the US needs to be multilateral in its handling of the Iraqi crisis, yet the overwhelming majority refuse to take a multilateral stand in dealing with nuclear proliferation and the screaming tantrums of North Korea.

Why the difference? I would appreciate insight into this conflict of beliefs, as last time I checked, nuclear weapons were considered weapons of mass destruction.

M

mathman444

Re: The US, the World, and North Korea

I haven't voted yet, Sk8cynic. I'm still mulling this one over. What do you think?

Mathman

M

Mathman3

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>My views here about the situation in Iraq have apparently upset or ticked off people.[/quote]Don't worry about that, S8Cynic. That's why we have the first amendment. I for one am glad that most Americans at least care enough about this grave decision to <em>be</em> upset and ticked off, whichever side they are on.

About Korea, first I think this. I find it interesting that the new President of South Korea, after beginning his term a couple of months ago with bold proclamations about how his country needed to distance itself from America, now has done a 180 and is actively seeking "closer ties." In his position, I would be seeking "closer ties" with America, too.

I think that whatever we do, we are not going to get any help from the world community. It is up to South Korea, Japan and the United States to deal with this threat.

Having said that, I still don't know exactly what I think we should do about it. NO country, surrounded by hostile and well-armed neighbors, is EVER going to disarm. Not North Korea, not Iraq, not Pago Pago, not the United States. My worst fear is that the Bush administration's fixation on Saddam Hussein ("He tried to kill my Daddy!") will allow the situation in North Korea to fester unattended until they really DO have a nuclear bomb. Then what?

Mathman

S

sk8cynic

Amen. Quite a scary thought.

Not only that, the UN is losing any credibility as well, which may only encourage other hostile governments to kick things up a notch.

Seems like we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

M

mike79

This is a bigger problem then the Iraq situation, IMO. Saddam can be contained for the moment. The N. Korean gov't. OTOH are just completely psycho. They need to wake up before they get the 'fresh smell of napalm in the morning'. They think they can take on the world. Their warmongering threats are just so far out there it makes me laugh. The whole problem is that they WILL go to war willingly. It seems like they're just itching to go.

The UN needs to wake up and realize that North Korea MEANS BUSINESS!

The US should never go to war alone if they haven't been attacked. It's time to stop policing the world.

J

Joesitz

Why can't we live with N.Korea as it is? They are not capitalists!. If the communists wanted world-wide communism, so does the western world want world-wide capitalism. I don't want to hear about democracy. It's all about money. Saddam? You figure.

Joe

S

sk8cynic

Edited by me to delete the nasty, angry offensive retaliatory attack.

Joe, if you read what was previously here, I am deeply embarrassed and apologetic. What I typed was a knee-jerk reaction, the crowning touch to all the ado here in the cafe.

J

Joesitz

to put the UN down by implying that all soveregin states must obey the state with the most money and the most weapons of mass destruction as opposed to equal democratic votes just doesn't do it for me. Again, no body wants Saddam around. The US has always been able to get rid of heads-of-state before without a war. Why is this twirp different?

Joe

S

sk8cynic

Ummmmmm......Kosovo and Milosovich come to mind. We had to go in there. We didn't even seek UN approval on that one.

J

Joesitz

Think all those Latin Americans like Allende from Chile. There are many others.

Joe

P

Ptichka

Wow, cynic, I can't believe I actually agree with you on something political! (For the record, I am staunchly opposed to the war in Iraq)

I am deeply troubled by the fact that the world wants to use the US as its personal army. Remember, when Clinton let Europe handle the Bosnia situation? The whole "world" started screaming about how the US is not living up to its obligations! Yet, when the US decides to use its force without the "world's" approval, the world once again objects!

I would like to see some consistency. If you want the US to always be the "go-to" guy for solving all conflicts, then don't expect it to wait for World's approval on everything. If, on the other hand, you want the US to play by the same rules as the other countries, then don't blame the US for putting in only 10 times as much as other nations, and not 100 times.

D

DORISPULASKI

I am a lot more worried about N. Korea than about Iraq. In fact the seriousness of the situation in N. Korea is the most important reason that I would prefer not to do anything about Iraq right now. We just wasted any good will we had in the world over Iraq while we have a guy in N. Korea testing missiles and who is reported to have 2 nukes now, 8 by summer. Furthermore I have read several reports that say that N. Korean missiles are upgradable to reach some portions of the US. While we are engaging the UN about Iraq, we should have been discussing N.Korea there.

And one reason N.Korea is as bad at this particular time as it is is because in Bush's speech he linked them to Iraq and Iran as members of "axis of evil".

Ptichka, I too am not happy with the world expecting us to be their policeman, particularly when we are more and more moving into a mode where it is all at our own expense.

But we need to get serious about N. Korea with the negotiations. Right now this nutcake can pitch missiles into Japan or S. Korea. Maybe he can reach Alaska or CA. We need to negotiate here.

BTW sk8cynic, I might disagree with you very much on Iraq, but I would defend your right to put anything you want in your signature line or in your posts until my typy little fingers get tired.

Thanks for having opinions, and for being willing to defend them. That's what makes democracy go.

dpp

L

Ladskater

It's almost too much to think about at this precarious time. The trouble is North Korea could "sneak up on us" while our attention is on Iraq. Certainly an old but much used military tactic. If I were Bush, I would not be leaving the "back door" open.

Ladskater

S

sk8cynic

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I am deeply troubled by the fact that the world wants to use the US as its personal army. Remember, when Clinton let Europe handle the Bosnia situation? The whole "world" started screaming about how the US is not living up to its obligations! Yet, when the US decides to use its force without the "world's" approval, the world once again objects!

I would like to see some consistency. If you want the US to always be the "go-to" guy for solving all conflicts, then don't expect it to wait for World's approval on everything. If, on the other hand, you want the US to play by the same rules as the other countries, then don't blame the US for putting in only 10 times as much as other nations, and not 100 times. [/quote]

Ptichka,

I couldn't have said it better myself!!! You expressed a lot of why I have such a difficult time with the anti-American sentiment overseas.

Doris,

Thank you for your support. That made my morning! :D :D :D
About the US's dealing with North Korea, I can't help but feel that the US has thought through any type of scenario involving a back door sneak attack. Also, while the situation with North Korea is very serious, one thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the track record of that government being primarily a tantrum thrower - an obscene amount of bark with little or no bite. It has less to do with North Korea challenging for a top spot in the WMD realm than it does with trying to force the US into giving them economic aid. I'd bet that if the US tossed an economic relief package to that country, we wouldn't hear a peep from them. Thing is, the US govt will not let any country use forceful leverage (blackmail) to gain our help or aid.

J

Joesitz

Doris - If we allow politics to be put into signatures then we should allow religiion, ethnic groups, and any other bias too. You've seen what happened to one of our most liked posters. (I still miss him.)

People are sensitive! And the great thing about GS is that we have an entire section Le Cafe to sound off on your pet peeves that are non related to figure skating.

Joesitz

J

Jules Asner

North Korea would like to provoke a fight - I think he just wants an excuse to use the weapons and army he has had to starve his country to make. Right now he has nothing to do but attend army marches and rallies. He's nuts and appears to act like a spoiled child with delusions of grandeur - perhaps the only solution is to appear to ignore him for the time being, while keeping a close eye on him (I'm sure they are).

D

DORISPULASKI

Free Speech-Yes I Believe in the Bill of Rights, even on Web

Joe, That is why I would not want to be a moderator (nor would anyone want me to be one). I also defended Fetal's rights in regard of what he could put in his signature line.
dpp

D

DORISPULASKI

Jules,sk8cynic,
While this and previous administrations have hid line items in previous military budgets to build the basis for an antimissile base in Alaska, they have not been able to actually buy and install the missiles because of the terms of nuclear treaties with Russia. Bush was negotiating to get the ban on antimissiles removed, citing changing times, and rightly so.
Definitely one of his crews better moves, given the situation vis a vis N. Korea. However as of January, there were still no missiles in those silos, and I don't know whether the contractual agreements are settled on the treaty. This is not the time to be listing N.Korea as axis of evil. We aren't ready to defend ourselves yet.

If N. Korea has nukes, and is already selling missiles to Arab countries, even if the guy does not chuck his missiles at anyone he sure has done a great job of putting up his sign board and telling all who listen to the news where they can buy nukes and missiles if only they have enough money.
As with so many advertisements, the price is not listed.

dpp