An unusual question | Golden Skate

An unusual question

krenseby

Final Flight
I have an unusual question about this year's Worlds... Whose skating strikes you as eccentric? So many programs seem the same because of the COP requirements and I'd love to figure out which of the skaters, whether singles/pairs/or dance, are doing something really really different. (Hopefully I can track down a youtube clip of their performances after you name them ;-)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
ii think that the german pair is very diffrent and inovative. very difficult and beautiful chreography.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I have an unusual question about this year's Worlds... Whose skating strikes you as eccentric? So many programs seem the same because of the COP requirements and I'd love to figure out which of the skaters, whether singles/pairs/or dance, are doing something really really different. (Hopefully I can track down a youtube clip of their performances after you name them ;-)

The Canadian Ice dance team of Virtue and Moir brought real freshness to the world of ice dance. Their long program is exquisite. It's ice dance as it should be. They brought dance back to ice dancing. Their program is available for viewing on youtube.

krenseby

Final Flight
The Canadian Ice dance team of Virtue and Moir brought real freshness to the world of ice dance. Their long program is exquisite. It's ice dance as it should be. They brought dance back to ice dancing. Their program is available for viewing on youtube.

Yes, I really like their skating. Smooth, subtle and not at all flashy. Enjoyed calling their Worlds performance up on Youtube, so thanks..

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Now, I thought that V&M's free dance was sooooo empty. It did not interest or excite me one little bit. I don't really understand their placement at Worlds.

Kasey

Medalist
Pechelat/Bourzat are "eccentric". So is, in some degree, Berntsson, Verner, and Othman, IMO. Trying to think of others who actually were AT worlds....some of the more interesting skaters/teams for me weren't there.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Now, I thought that V&M's free dance was sooooo empty. It did not interest or excite me one little bit. I don't really understand their placement at Worlds.

I think they're good, but they have a way to go before they're top contenders IMHO. Their FD is so empty. They bore me a little

I'm not saying they aren't good, but they still look like junior kids. ANd I don't just mean that they physically look young, I mean their skating looks immature still. I know this is their first year out of juniors but I guess after all the fuss, I expected more from them than what I've seen so far.

Okay then what the heck am I missing here? I think that V&M, and especially that FD, are DULL DULL DULL. Yeah, they are cute, but other than that... I just don't get it.

You want to know what I find empty, boring, and dull dancingdiva??? Your repetitious criticism of Virtue and Moir! I'm sure that these comments are probably just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what you have written, but they were the easiest for me to find. We all get it. You HATE Virtue and Moir. I guess the good news is that skating doesn't start again for 7 months so with any luck everyone won't have to listen to any more ranting for a while.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
You want to know what I find empty, boring, and dull dancingdiva??? Your repetitious criticism of Virtue and Moir! I'm sure that these comments are probably just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what you have written, but they were the easiest for me to find. We all get it. You HATE Virtue and Moir. I guess the good news is that skating doesn't start again for 7 months so with any luck everyone won't have to listen to any more ranting for a while.

Where did I say that I HATE Virtue & Moir? Ummmmmm.... that would be nowhere. I have said that I think that their FD is boring and that I don't understand the hype over them. If you don't like that, then don't read my posts. Not everyone is so in love with the same skaters that you are, get over it. There are more opinions than just your own.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Where did I say that I HATE Virtue & Moir? Ummmmmm.... that would be nowhere. I have said that I think that their FD is boring and that I don't understand the hype over them. If you don't like that, then don't read my posts. Not everyone is so in love with the same skaters that you are, get over it. There are more opinions than just your own.

LOL! You don't have to "say" it. It's obvious. You never, ever miss a chance to take a shot at them. And you are right that you have said that their FD is boring and you don't get the hype over them. In fact you have repeated it ad nauseam. That was the point of my post. We ALL get it. The dead horse has been flogged! You have had your fun bashing now it's time to move along.

What would you have filled it with? A variation on Shoot the Duck? A Crotch Lift? Twizzles Galore?

Did you understand the character of the 'Waltz Triste?

Is it that you can only relate to a particular kind of passion and not allow for other types of passion?

Can you give examples of what does excite you? Do you understand the workings of the CoP?

Joe

Big Deal

Final Flight
The unusual programs, showing real character, seemed to be easy even if they were technically very difficult one's, not making just required elements are:
Virtue&Moir in icedance, and Stephane Lambiel.
Also Pechalat&Bourzat can be mentioned.
Yu-Na Kim short program was purely beauty as well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I did not watch ice dance much, but from singles and pairs skating these performances really stood out, in my opinion:

- Kim´s short programme
- Asada´s freeskate
- Lambiel´s freeskate
- Takahashi´s freeskate
- Shen & Zhao´s freeskate

Not in the sense of being eccentric, but as really beautiful performances to beautiful choreography.

ETA: I watched the clip of Virtue & Moir freedance from Tokyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbj0dc87wM

and would say that I really liked the choreography and it was absolutely beautifully skated, the pair seemed to feel the music. Based on applause the audience loved it.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Pechelat/Bourzat are "eccentric". So is, in some degree, Berntsson, Verner, and Othman, IMO. Trying to think of others who actually were AT worlds....some of the more interesting skaters/teams for me weren't there.

Preaubert.

Dancers? Well, we're used to the D/S teams by now so those have kind of become standard styles in dance already, but compared to some other teams or other eras I'd call them eccentric. Also probably Khokhlova/Novitsky, Kerrs, maybe this particular free dance from Gregory/Petukhov, and others.

The women almost always stay within the lines artistically, this year as well as most years.

There were many beautiful performances such as all those mentioned by Jaana, including Virtue and Moir, that were well done but not in the least eccentric IMO.

Well, Takahashi pushes the emotional dramatic style far enough that it might qualify.

krenseby, are you looking for unusual stylistic choices? unusual elements? or just recommendations of good performances to watch?

Shmuzzy

On the Ice

I guess I have never really thought about it much since I have seen him skate a zillion times, but now that you mention him I would have to agree. I can't really say that his skating appeals to me that much. I have actually always thought that a lot of his movements were rather strange so I guess he definitely qualifies in my opinion as being an "eccentric" skater. Maybe it is the "techno" music he sometimes picks for his programs that makes me think that.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Preaubert.

I completely missed his programmes at Wolds.:frown:

Emily IMO is a LITTLE eccentric.:laugh: The way her skating seems to follow her momentum / just on the edge of "control" strikes me as similar to Alban's.

Is it the "skating of" or the programme choreography that is eccentric here / in this original question?

Fly'n Ryan definitely strikes me as having an eccentric side, but his programmes have composure with a perfect amount of flare. Would not say his programmes are eccentric (other than his Gala / Exhibition #) but he seems a little bit that way.

Joe, what in the heck is a "crotch lift?"

Joe, what in the heck is a "crotch lift?"

he he - There was quite a discussion on the forum some time ago, where many posters were getting tired of looking at the Ladies in dance split their legs open in lifts in such a manner.
I think the ISU made a ruling on that. I haven't noticed it since back then.

Joe