Oscar Picks - Director | Golden Skate

Oscar Picks - Director

J

Jules Asner

Re: Oscar Picks - Director

If Scorsese wins I'm sorry to say it'll be a pity oscar. Just cuz he may or may not have been robbed in the past is no reason to give him an oscar. I hope that doesn't happen.
Sorry Marty.

M

magentataupe

I picked Rob Marshall but there is that possibility Scorsese will get votes because this might be his last chance.

J

Jules Asner

I'm not voting until I see "Talk to Her". But so far I'm torn between Marshall for Chicago and Daldry for The Hours.

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I'm sure Scorsece will get a pity vote from many members, which I think is sad b/c it's kind of saying that this film, one of his weaker ones, was the one that won him the Oscar.

If anyone should get the pity vote, it's Roman Polanski...not to mention since he is a fugitive, the telecast will be shorter.

I picked Rob Marshall because he reminds me so such of the style that Bob Fosse has with Cabaret.

M

mike79

Wouldn't surprise me if Scorsese got the pity votes. Oscar voters have done it many times before in a kind of lifetime achievement way. Prime example-Al Pacino in Scent of a Woman. He should have won well before that. Think The Godfather 1 and 2, Dog Day Afternoon, Scarface, Carlito's Way, among others.

J

Jules Asner

I'm going to see Talk to Her this evening. Mike, I can see Scorcese winning. Although I don't think he deserves it for this movie, I'd still be happy for him - I'm such a pushover.
But I would hope the people voting would vote for the person who is most deserving - unfortunately I'd bet some people probably don't even watch the movies and just vote for who they like and who their friends are.

J

Jules Asner

Finally saw "Talk to Her" and now I think Scorcese may win not on a pity vote but by a split -- I think the best director vote could be split between Chicago, The Hours and Talk to Her - leaving each with not enough overall votes and Gangs with just enough to scrape ahead. Or, it could be a landslide for Chicago. The more movies I see the more confused I become as to who is going to win.

H

hrmsk8ngnutt

So Jules, what did you think about 'Talk To Her'? I wish there was some other way for films to be nominated for Foreign Language Film. I was very happy that Almodovar was nominated for both director and original screenplay - I hope he wins for screenplay. Also wish the music had been nominated - great soundtrack.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

J

Jules Asner

It was very well done and certainly a unique storyline. It was interesting - the male nurse sickened me but yet his act brought her back to life.