Looking for some good reads on skating | Golden Skate

Looking for some good reads on skating

G

Glacierskater

Looking for some good reads on skating

I am digging reading about skating these days! I have a book in my purse at all times, and never get bored that way. I was wondering if there are any books that my fellow skating fans would recommend? I have read:

Dreams of Gold, cannot remember author
On Thin Ice, cannot remember author
Inside Edge, Christine Brennan
Edge of Glory (thanks my friend), Christine Brennan

I just ordered two Sonja Henie books, and I have 3 mag subscriptions.

Any other suggested reading? Thanks!

M

Mathman3

Re: Looking for some good reads on skating

I just finished Culture on Ice by Dr. Ellyn Kestnbaum (she posts here as EllynK). Wonderful take on many aspects of the place of figure skating in poplular culture. I am going to post a review on a separate thread.

Mathman

R

rachelstarlet

Skate Talk by Steve Milton (little essays, which I think were taken from interviews, by different skaters about different things like competition and style and stuff)
The Passion to Skate by Sandra Bezic (a big book about different aspects of the sport, full of nice pictures)

These are two I just checked out from the library. And there's always My Sergei by Ekaterina Gordeeva - not specifically about skating, but a very touching book.

Rachel

G

Glacierskater

Thanks Mathman and Rachelstarlet

I will be picking these up....or ordering, actually.

I for to add My Sergei...I just read that one too.

Thanks for the response.

J

JHarland55

Re: Thanks Mathman and Rachelstarlet

The author of On Thin Ice is Susan Andersen. I am reading the book right now. It's very good, one of those you don't want to put down.

L

lil icesk8er915

I wish that there were more of a selection on skating books where I live! I haven't even heard of those! They sound really good too! I have read "Michelle Kwan: Heart of a Champion" and various biography picture books on skaters.

I

icer

A few others

The books by Toller Cranston are fun- what an ego! But if you want dirt and gossip, that's where to go (one of them is called Zero Tollerance- I think there are a few others).

Also the autobiography of Torvill and Dean (surprising amount of that one is on the business of being a skater- agents, organizing ice shows in the days when professional skating was still pretty amateur).

There are also two autobiographies of Brasseur and Eisler that are very interesting- one focuses on their amateur days- training, etc. The other is a pretty scathing look at professional skating. One of them is called "To Catch a Dream"- not sure if that's the professional or amateur one. A friend of mine bought these in Canada. I don't know if you can get them here- maybe through a web site?

Also, I heard Katarina Witt wrote an autobiography. Has anyone read it? Is it only available in German?

I also loved Skating Shoes, by Noel Streatfield. This is a classic book for kids- a story- probably out of print now, but worth looking for in the library if you haven't read it.