Morosov and the Gold He Brings to Skaters | Golden Skate

Morosov and the Gold He Brings to Skaters

I think it started with Winter for Alexei.

Then it went to Kwan and B&K in 2003 Worlds

Then it went to Ando in 2007 Worlds.

If Miki retires and goes Pro, should Kimmie try to be coached by him?

Joe

flying camel

Medalist
I said after Ando won I thought Morozov would get a lot of new skaters. But, lets keep in mine that he is always working with skaters who could have won titles with the coaches they had. They are always missing something from their skating. Some are missing confidence, choreography, consistent jumps. I think Morozov is able to give the skater the entire package. He is giving them what they are missing.

I honestly don't remember Kwan working with him. Why did she leave? I remember talk about Sasha wanting him to coach her. I think he would have worked for Sasha. I don't think he would really work for Kimmie. She is a confident competitor. She has good jumps. Too me she is still missing choreography. I don't think his style would work for her. Maybe Kimmie could try Mark Mitchell for her short. Just to see how it goes over. I like his choreography. He seems to work with the skaters personality. I think Morozov would be a perfect fit for Joannie. I wonder if she would consider leaving Canada. I think it would be hard for a Top lady skater to go to him if Ando is still with him.

Last edited:

flying camel

Medalist
Your kidding. Well like I said he does not work for Kimmie. That was one of the worst SP ever too me!! All along I was thinking Lori was the worst.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think it started with Winter for Alexei.

Then it went to Kwan and B&K in 2003 Worlds

Then it went to Ando in 2007 Worlds.

If Miki retires and goes Pro, should Kimmie try to be coached by him?
I think you forgot Arakawa.

With Yagudin, B&K, and Arakawa it's hard to say what did the trick - Morozov or Tarasova. I don't think he did that much for Kwan. This year, though, I do new respect for him seeing a great improvement Ando went through with him. He seems to have found the right combination of choreography/ technical content/ personal approach that works very well in that partnership.

I think you forgot Arakawa.

With Yagudin, B&K, and Arakawa it's hard to say what did the trick - Morozov or Tarasova. I don't think he did that much for Kwan. This year, though, I do new respect for him seeing a great improvement Ando went through with him. He seems to have found the right combination of choreography/ technical content/ personal approach that works very well in that partnership.
I was actually aware of Arakawa, but I wasn't sure if had done the whole job. I would definitely include her in his stable of champions.

He is, imo, a Master Coach. He doesn't do the groundwork. He polishes the groundwor.

Joe

discoduck

On the Ice
Morozov did Kwan's Spartacus short program in 05 and I believe her Feeling Begins as well. He didn't do Arajunez did he? (My apologies for the butchering of that spelling)

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Discoduck, I think you are correct. I thought her Passions SP and Aranjuez programs brought a different, more aggresive side to Kwan that worked quite well and was very refreshing. Something about Kwan's programs the few prior seasons just didn't quite do it for me as it once did, but I thought Morozov really put the bang back into Kwan's program.

Also, Spartacus was defintely an underated program, I thought it was Almost as good as her old Rachmaniov. Her ending pose is just great.

heyang

Record Breaker
I do believe he choreographed those programs for Kwan, but he was not her coach.

krenseby

Final Flight
Discoduck, I think you are correct. I thought her Passions SP and Aranjuez programs brought a different, more aggresive side to Kwan that worked quite well and was very refreshing. Something about Kwan's programs the few prior seasons just didn't quite do it for me as it once did, but I thought Morozov really put the bang back into Kwan's program.

Also, Spartacus was defintely an underated program, I thought it was Almost as good as her old Rachmaniov. Her ending pose is just great.

Actually Aranjuez is my favorite Cohen program of all time. There was so much energy and passion in that program. I've never seen Kwan skate that way before...

I think Morosov just did the footwork section for Aranjuez. IIRC Michelle worked with her sister Karen and brother-in-law Peter Oppegard on the overall choreography. It was definitely a new direction for Michelle, following through on her promise to "take control of her own skating."

Morosov is listed as the choreographer for the Feeling Begins, Tosca and Spartacus. I don't think there was any particular reason for Michelle moving on to Tarasova after that -- Michelle just had a chance to work with the Great One and she grabbed it.

krenseby

Final Flight
I think Morosov just did the footwork section for Aranjuez. IIRC Michelle worked with her sister Karen and brother-in-law Peter Oppegard on the overall choreography. It was definitely a new direction for Michelle, following through on her promise to "take control of her own skating."

I think she did suceed in taking control of her own skating... That LP is somehow very Michelle...I can't imagine anyone else doing it the same way... I always think that program was a "pro skater routine" because it's usually the pros who try something radically different and expressive while the amateurs stick to the well-worn paths recommended to them by their choreographers...

Nigel

On the Ice
Your kidding. Well like I said he does not work for Kimmie. That was one of the worst SP ever too me!! All along I was thinking Lori was the worst.

Lori Nichol did the LP, Nikolai the SP.

Each of these choreographers has a unique approach to working with a skater. And, to some extent, when you watch a skater who has worked with these choreographers, I think you can distinguish who choreographed which program. NM prefers big bold dynamic body movements, esp in the upper body..sometimes we have referred to his footwork seq including "helicopter arms". Not necessarily a bad thing, just characteristic of his style. (Much in the way David Wilson chooses to have his skaters stroke their faces in their prgms...just a signature element.) LN will let the skater use the music to their advantage, not necessarily working against it, but thinking of Shen and Zhao, who have worked with Lori Nichol for many seasons now, thinking back to several of their programs with her.....just "enough" choreography, not too much. working with each note of the music, but only when necessary.

Kimmie has not found that comfort zone with either choreographer at this point, though she has found "snipets" esp her footwork seq in her LP this year, particularly at US nationals. It was the highlight of her prgm. It is refreshing to see a skater utilize/approach the footwork sequence as a total element within their program, ensuring that it is a dynamic and memorable portion of their program.

Does NM do "ground work"? Absolutely, if you think of him as actually setting a program and that is groundwork! Coverage of the ice, momentum, spins, spirals, set up through the jumps, changes in tempo of skating, footwork sequences, etc. And yes, he does work on specific elements like jumps. He will time a skater's jump pattern to see how that will affect choreography. So, he does break down a program to the very basic elements. That is ground work!

gio

Medalist
Don't forget that Julia Sebestyen won the 2004 Euros working with Morozov.