Backwards Duck | Golden Skate

Backwards Duck

Wolfgang

On the Ice
Inspired by Johnny Weir at Marshall's, tried a bunch of times today to shoot the duck going backwards.
A little difficult during a public session - don't want to run anyone over - but I think I've got the basic principle
Points I need to work on are exactly which part of the blade I'm gliding on, and how to bring the free foot back in without catching the heel on the ice.
Not sure I'm flexible enough to fold myself in half and 'lay down' on my free foot like Johnny does, but I'll try...:)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
it's fun to try new elements. good luck. The flod over dosen't require much flexibily, just balance and being comfortable on that edge. :agree:

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
you know what I need to try these new elements and such, i've tried coming up with a few balance elements myself but its just that right now with competition right around the corner for me its difficult to find time to try them out.

chinesechanfan

Rinkside
Inspired by Johnny Weir at Marshall's, tried a bunch of times today to shoot the duck going backwards.
A little difficult during a public session - don't want to run anyone over - but I think I've got the basic principle
Points I need to work on are exactly which part of the blade I'm gliding on, and how to bring the free foot back in without catching the heel on the ice.
Not sure I'm flexible enough to fold myself in half and 'lay down' on my free foot like Johnny does, but I'll try...:)

that move is called the hydroblade. i do this all the time and weir is not the only or first guy to do this. borne and kraatz used to do this towards the end of their free dance in salt lake. a lot of ppl know how to do this.... its how back sit was first learnt. the reason why its less likely to be on competition is that its such a quad burner and it wrecks ur routine (it tires u out). i used to do hydroblade to learn the sasha needle spin (combo. spin at the end....) i just do the hydroblade, grab my free leg in front, stand up and pull my leg in (fortunately, im very flexible) while controlling my edge to not get stuck in the toe. it was a long process but after a few months, i could master it easily (the hard part was the control of the edge and the flexibility. u need to know how to do a perfect split first b4 trying this.) and trust me, after doing this move, i was the centre of attention cuz no one in my club could do that, let alone the splits..... sooner or later, my friends started to stretch too and there is this new off-ice program just for stretching afterwards.