Where would you go for coaching? | Golden Skate

Where would you go for coaching?

flying camel

Medalist
If you were looking for a new coach?

This is purely hypothetical, but lets just say you were around 17 or 18 and willing to relocate to another city. Lets say you don't have solid technique on your jumps and you don't have much in the style department either. Who would be a good coach/choreographer for someone like this?

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Realistically, retire. No need to burn more money if you have nothing solid at age of 17/18.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
If you were looking for a new coach?

This is purely hypothetical, but lets just say you were around 17 or 18 and willing to relocate to another city. Lets say you don't have solid technique on your jumps and you don't have much in the style department either. Who would be a good coach/choreographer for someone like this?

Interesting question......

SoCA...Frank and Ken. I hate the warm weather though and entire metro lifestyle. From what I've seen Ken has a great personality - very positive and uplifting. He seems like someone who would push you to do your best physically and emotionally but also sensitive enough.

Lake Arrowhead I'm told is a great facility...but who's there these days?

Callaghan in Detroit was said to work wonders for technique and with all the dancers in the detroit area, I think the style dept. would improve.

I'd also look in Colorado Springs

Wolfgang

On the Ice
You do realize that as a (relative) beginner at age 17, you are basically a bunny hop, mazurka and toe loop away from being washed up, at least as far as competitive skating goes, right?
There are 'adult' competitions, but they take place in an almost completely different universe than the one inhabitet by the Kimmie Meissners, Sasha Cohens, Mao Asadas etc. of the world.
Don't move on account of FS alone.....
Having said that, L.A., Colorado Springs, Houston, Detroit and New York seem to be the current cranker-outers of champions.

There are a number of work shops during the summer months advertise in the skating magazines. You wont be alone and that's a plus at this stage/ Try one of them, and if one of the coaches in those workships makes you feel like you learned something, then you must decide to travel to his/her area.

Big Question: Are you really interested in becoming a special figure skater?

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
are you asking as in advice for yourself? I am a little confused

if this is just a subject to have over summer I'd say Don Laws - just because I really like what I've read about him as a coach :)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
okay, lets say you are 11 years old and your mom and dad will move anywhere to fund your skating.

I would say Ken in LA. Frank seems a little stern... but my friend is coached by him for years and she has like the most beautiful jumps. her axel is textbok and he really makes her work on her own and do what he knows she has in her. Ken seems more approachable and seems like he has a better sense of humor. I guess you would work with lori nicol then.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
In Canada there are many choices for top coaches and choreographers. I would definitely want David Wilson or Laurie Nichol for my choreographer. For a coach - Doug Leigh, Lee Barkell or Karen Magnussen (North Vancouver) and for Dance - Victor Kraatz - right here in Vancouver. I also would not mind Brian Orser or Kurt Browning for a coach/choreographer!!!

flying camel

Medalist
are you asking as in advice for yourself? I am a little confused

if this is just a subject to have over summer I'd say Don Laws - just because I really like what I've read about him as a coach :)

I was just hoping to pass on a little advice to some others.

What did you hear about Don Laws?

IDLERACER

Medalist
I'd just like to point out that Frank and Ken (and Linda Fratianne) all also teach regular classes (with about ten to twelve students in each) that are obviously less expensive than their èlite coaching duties. Even when they're working with their star pupils, there's usually at least two of them on the ice at the same time (I've seen BeBe Liang and Danielle Kahle being coached simultaneously).

momjudi

On the Ice
I'd just like to point out that Frank and Ken (and Linda Fratianne) all also teach regular classes (with about ten to twelve students in each) that are obviously less expensive than their èlite coaching duties. Even when they're working with their star pupils, there's usually at least two of them on the ice at the same time (I've seen BeBe Liang and Danielle Kahle being coached simultaneously).

The same for Priscilla Hill, Johnny Weir's coach, she also teaches regular classes and her rates are pretty cheap for a regular class. I don't know how much she charges Johnny or her other elite skaters. I wouldn't go to Callahan, heard too many stories about him.

passion

On the Ice
In Canada there are many choices for top coaches and choreographers. I would definitely want David Wilson or Laurie Nichol for my choreographer. For a coach - Doug Leigh, Lee Barkell or Karen Magnussen (North Vancouver) and for Dance - Victor Kraatz - right here in Vancouver. I also would not mind Brian Orser or Kurt Browning for a coach/choreographer!!!

Just curious, what makes Doug, Lee, and Karen great for coaching choices?

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
Well, at that age, I'd give up any dreams of Olympic gold....if I wasn't at the senior level by age 15/16.

I'd stick with my local rinks. Why throw good money out for nothing? At that age, I'd be concerned with looking for a college, job, etc. Skating would be shoved to a far corner.

Realistically speaking.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
I agree. If you can get good basic coaching at your local rink and drain the brain of the best coach there ....you would be better off. Then move on once you have great basics.

BTW While a great choreographer can help make an Olympic or World champion, they need the skater with the goods in order to make that program sing! I've seen exquisite programs from Lori Nichol, original creative programs from David Wilson and elegant programs from Brian Orser - all done for national and international skaters. But I have also seen unoriginal, medicore, and flat programs done by David and Brian, for other skaters either because the skater couldn't interpret the choreography or the choreographer didn't seem to put the same effort into the programs. And, I have seen Lori Nichol work very creatively with a lower level skater, but the finished program just didn't have the zing because the skater didn't rise to the occasion and perform the program well.

So just because you have a 'name' doesn't mean that your program will be better. But, in a dream world, it sure would be nice to drop the $5,000 or so for a Lori or David program -- just to see!!
(that is if they would agree to take me!)