I landed my axel!!!!!! | Golden Skate

I landed my axel!!!!!!

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
Hey all,

I'm so happy I landed my axel on Saturday morning in practice, i've only been skating for four months and I landed it six times that morning in practice.

Any tips on a consistent axel, I can do it but not consistently.

--Tom

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Congrats on your axel:clap: In four months is impressive. That jump took me 2 years to get.
For consistancy don't think too much and be confident and attack going in. The second you back off the jump either won't work or it won't be pretty and you'll really have to fight. Over thinking is the worst thing to do, just rely on muscle memory and let it happen, if you've landed it more than once your body knows how to do it.

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
Hey I love your siggy yep eat, sleep, skate what else is there to do lol. I landed it on my fifth attempt and landed it three or four times, yes so I guess my body does know how to do it so i'll keep that going, but I injured my wrist on it so now i'm a little scared but i'm going to get wrist guards maybe that'll bring my confidence back. I hope to go onto doubles soon but i'm going to wait and get all of my singles consistent first.

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
yes of course its not landed in my book unless its one footed, completely rotated, and has good spring to it. So yeah I landed it like that three times, first time on my fifth attempt and i'm so happy about that.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
yes of course its not landed in my book unless its one footed,
:agree: ITA:agree:

Sorry I guess that didn't come of as funny. I am just trying to justify all my attempts as being called Axels or flips (bunnys, stags almost everything all the time getting lucky from time to time;) ). I know they are not, I stink:cool: . I will say the comments I heard and hear on the forum about toe pointing did help me right away. I never had a coach since I was 6 or 7 and was just slapping my blades down - usally falling even with 2 feet *seani sucki*:laugh: . When I started reading those comments about toe pointing it helped me in many ways with landings of any hight.

As far as falling, which I feel more qualified to talk about, wristguards are a good idea from what I can tell, but I never used them. It might be from falling in other activities, but I never let my wrist bend more than 45 degrees - I did a couple of times and it was a painful and uncontrolled fall. So I think of it more when falling to keep my wrists either straight and let my knuckles hit and quickly roll to my elbows than shoulder or chest if I face plant - but my face has not hit ice for a long time *knock on wood*. Of course I am not competing either, so recovery is not on my mind at all. I shouldn't even comment in the Lutz:cool: But you "good skaters" are great to read and hear progress so sometimes I can't resist.;)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Congrats on your axel:clap: In four months is impressive. That jump took me 2 years to get.
For consistancy don't think too much and be confident and attack going in. The second you back off the jump either won't work or it won't be pretty and you'll really have to fight. Over thinking is the worst thing to do, just rely on muscle memory and let it happen, if you've landed it more than once your body knows how to do it.

dido on verything you said. 4 months is like outta this world.

doubleaxel

Rinkside
I find it rather hard to believe that anyone can land a fully-rotated single axel after only 4 months of skating. Unless they're supermen or something.

But if what you said is true, that is pretty impressive. Do you have a coach? What does she/he say about your axel?

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
they told me that it was fully rotated, and since my main coach is an ice dancer, she wants me to concentrate more on the programme elements other than jumps so she was not too happy to see me land an axel so soon but she said that it was fully rotated and as did several of my other witnesses, I landed it about six times that morning and then I planted my blade instead of my toe on the landing of another and hurt my wrist so I am now kinda afraid to try it until I get wrist guards and then i'm going to try it again and perfect it, I can do it and can rotate it completely but I can't do it consistently; i've also been off ice training for about a year on my own and I can do up to triple toe off the ice so a single axel's rotation for me is rather easy and its just going to take the time for me to get it on the ice consistent. I was going to try up to double salchow that day but I didn't want to risk it because of the wrist, what can I say I love to jump and that's why i've gotten it so far so fast.

Advice to those beginners who aspire to jump: TRAIN IT OFF THE ICE, NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU IT HELPS ON FULLY ROTATING JUMPS, BELIEVE ME!!!!!!!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Advice to those beginners who aspire to jump: TRAIN IT OFF THE ICE, NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU IT HELPS ON FULLY ROTATING JUMPS, BELIEVE ME!!!!!!!
Off ice does help with rotation, but it dosn't always mean that the jump will come on-ice. I could land an axel off ice two years before it even came close to being landed on ice. You just need to be careful working off ice as the technique is different.

doubleaxel

Rinkside

Mm'really? I know a lot of advanced skaters at my rink who can barely do a single axel off ice, but are capable of a beautiful 2Axel on ice. :yes: