If they were to write a book...... | Golden Skate

If they were to write a book......

S

sk8tngcanuck

If they were to write a book......

If you had the opportunity to ask one skater (or pair) to write a book whose would you want to read and why?

(Please try to think of someone who has not already done so)

My choice would be Bourne and Kraatz. Their staying power in a sport where they felt constantly pushed aside invokes such curiosity in me. The few times that they spoke openly about the judging always made me fear for the future ramifications of their words. I think they could give a lot of insight into the world of ice dance and I don't think they would hold back their honest opinions of goings on.

J

Joesitz

Re: If they were to write a book......

It has to be La Kwan. Not because I am a fan but because she is probably the most gushed and bashed figure skater for the past 10 years. I would like to hear her side of the story.
BUT.... she's an enigma and if she ever writes a book it will be long after she disappears.

Joe

Q

QuadAxel

Joe,

Gotta disagree with you on that one. I think Michelle
Kwan is as far from an enigma as you can get - she's
just SO normal, So well-balanced, such an all-around
nice gal/good person that she just SEEMS an enigma
because she's the antithesis of so many other skaters.

I'd want to read about the REAL inside world of some
of the top skater's lives - and autobiographies usually
reveal very little unless written quite late in life.

Yag's autobiography will be out soon - any bets on how
much or how little it will actually reveal about who he
is or what he really thinks? Because of course, it wasn't
actually penned by him - but by that Canadian writer
whose done many other autobiographies. Not saying
that having a ghostwriter necessarily interferes with
telling the real story - but I think that agents and sponsors
and "wanting to keep the fans happy" has a LOT to do
with what actually gets written -which to me at least,
is quite disappointing.

:cool:

G

Glacierskater

Sonja Henie. She pioneered skating for women...yes, there were others before her, but she grabbed the world by their blades and took us for a spin. She was her own woman, with her own ideas about things. She was not loved by everyone, and was often the object of scrutnity and dislike. But I love her far and above every other skater, and the more I read and see about her, the more I love her. I was recently at the Skating Hall of Fame in Colorado Springs, CO, and they had an entire exhibit on her. I was mesmerized. I spent just an hour in her corner alone. The rest of the whole museum only took another 1.5 hours altogether. They have a library downstairs, and I happened upon her book WINGS ON MY FEET - AND SHE HAS SIGNED IT! I have been looking for a signed copy for so long...keep losing the bids on ebay. At any rate, that's who, and that's why.

S

stilldizzy7

If they were to write a book....

I would have love to hear Michelle's story in her words truthfully. However, I'm pretty sure that will never happen. Michelle is too caught up with saying the right thing to keep up an image. I'm not saying this to criticize her as I believe she has played the game just right.

However, what an insightful book she could write if she opened up to disclose how she feels about the old and new scoring for instance. How about the real reasons behind her decision to part with Frank three months before the Olympics. Ten years as an elite skater would give her quite an insight into competitive figureskating. I just don't expect Michelle will ever share that information.

IMHO, Michelle puts all her artistic effort into her skating. Perhaps she is incapable of expressing herself to that extent on a written page. At the end of the day, it's her call whether or not she wishes take that kind of risk.

Dizzy

L

lil icesk8er915

I would choose Sasha Cohen! They always have little Bio's of skaters on TV, but not a lot of Sasha, she seems like an interesting person!

K

Kara Bear

lil icesk8er915,
check out Sasha's webpage at www.sashacohen.com. Theres lots of personal info about her. Its a great site to learn about Sasha while we wait for possible future book.

Other books I'd like to see:
Elena and Anton

And some coaches. I bet they have all kinds of interesting stories:
Tarasova
Moskivina

D

DORISPULASKI

I'd love to read Debi Thomas's story. She was always very articulate and had a lovely, self deprecating type of humor.

dpp

S

Show 42

I don't know if she's written even a story about her life, but for me it would have to be Tonya Harding........to find out at what point her life and career took a slide...........42

Q

QuadAxel

Kara Bear -

Tarasova did pen an autobiography that came out right
around the Olympics last year and it was good - read
about 6 chapters that were translated into english.

The book, to my knowledge, has only been published in
Russian but there's prob. some way to find an english
translation of most the chapters.

:cool:

J

Joesitz

It's generally interesting to read an autobiography, but the real dish comes from a biography. trouble with biographies are that they are written to exploit the title character so as to blow one'smind and, of course, make money for the publisher.

A good biography centers on the title character from birth to death or now. The investigative biographer informs us of the little know facts about the subject from birth to now (or death). There can be something juicy in the subject's past to raise eyebrows but that is not to be dwelt on. It is merely to let us know that the subject is a human and subject to all the
hidden desires we all have.

For a good biography I would be intersted in who were the parents, and in what environment they bring the subject into birth; what was the schooling; how did figure skating come to being; what coaches were involved. Did they sacrifice for the subject? Did they use the subject for their own personal gain?

What personality did the subject develop? Was the subject able to take losses as well as wins? What did the subject think of the competitors? How was subject thought about by the colleagues at the time.

What were the critics thinking in praise of and/or fault with the subject.

What, in the opinion of the writer, is the future of this subject?

What, in the readers' opinion, does the writer touch all bases without any bias?

Joe

G

GarlandStateChamps

Well......since Scott Hamilton has an autobio out.....likewise Dorothy Hamill, Peggy Fleming, Elizabeth Manley, and Janet Lynn........I was thinking this:

An autobiography of my favorite skater: Rosalynn Sumners.

Her view of what it was like to compete versus Katerina Witt, what it was like at the 1984 Winter Olympics, her years with SOI, commentary work for FOX and TNT, her engagement to SOI co-creator Bob Kain, etc.

G

GarlandStateChamps

Well......since Scott Hamilton has an autobio out.....likewise Dorothy Hamill, Peggy Fleming, Elizabeth Manley, and Janet Lynn........I was thinking this:

An autobiography of my favorite skater: Rosalynn Sumners.

Her view of what it was like to compete versus Katerina Witt, what it was like at the 1984 Winter Olympics, her years with SOI, commentary work for FOX and TNT, her engagement to SOI co-creator Bob Kain, etc.

[img noborder] www.angelfire.com/tx/scot...ozandI.jpg [/img]

G

GarlandStateChamps

Sorry about repeating myself......was trying to post a photo here of Roz and myself taken at 2003 Nationals in Dallas.:D

S

Show 42

Hey Garland... good choice for an autobiography......I love Roz's skating and felt the gold in the 84 Olys should have been hers...........42

L

ladybug

Elena and Anton. I would love to know how they began skating at the very beginning. Of course there is the story of him saving her from her other partner, their love affair and break up. Then to jazz it up a bit, we have the controversy of the Olympics. I would buy their book (if it was 100% honest) in a flash.

I doubt Michelle will ever write a tell all book. Her and Frank and their break up, how she came to enlist Scott as her new coach, fair/unfair judging and back stage politics. I would buy that book also if it was 100% honest and she didn't Skate around the facts so that she wouldn't offend anyone. My bet is we will never see this one, even after she retires.

D

DJStuCrew

Garland, you are one LUCKY dude!!! While I've definitely had several "what were you thinking?" moments, I've always liked Roz. What a coup!

J

jesuiscanadienne

Bourne and Kraatz, Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze,

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:red;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;"><strong>I would only want to read an autobiography that included some MAJOR dish. I don't want to read "I started skating on a fronzen pond at 2. All my brothers played hockey blah blah blah." SNOOZATHON! Show me the backstabbing dirt!</strong></span> :lol: