Music | Golden Skate

Music

J

Jules Asner

Music

What is your favorite music? Who are your favorite artists and songs/pieces?

S

shadair

Re: Music

I love all kinds of music. I just know a little bit more about some than others. Billy Joel is one of my very favorites. I'm drawn to musicians who play or showcase a piano in their music like Billy Joel, Elton John, Phil Vassar. . . I also love Neil Diamond, Sarah Brightman ( before she started putting risque pictures in her CD's), the BeeGees, Bruce Springsteen, Trisha Yearwood, Collin Raye, Harry Connick Jr., Gordon Lightfoot, Sting, the list goes on and on. I like classical music also. I just don't know too much about it. I love Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue . . Thanks to my daughter I am well educated in country music and to my son I am educated in Dream Theater, which I like and Rush, which I don't.

E

eltamina

Jules thanks for the poll

I love classical music. I try to learn to love all composers, solists, and ensembles. I have many favorites. Sometimes I play a game of nominating different composers into my music pantheon, and back that up with a piece of music that is significant. (some are not necessarily my favorites, e.g. Stravinsky, but I recognize their greatness and contribution)

Here is a list:

My list of composers in the pantheon- a place reserved for the gods, in no particular order
1. JS Bach: mass in B minor
2. Haydn: the 6 quartets
3. W.A. Mozart: sinfonia concertante v and viola
4. Beethoven: Symphony #9
5. Brahms: clarinet quintet
6. Mendelssohn: Mid Summer Nights Dream
7. Wagner: Tristan and Isolde
8. Mahler: Symphony # 9
9. Stravinsky: Rite of Spring
10. Handel: Messiah

J

Jules Asner

My absolute favorite music is Puccini. If I could only have one CD it would be a compilation of Puccini. Not instrumental but with the Italian words. I also listen to Josh Groban quite a bit.

After that Classical - Violin pieces being my favorite, followed by piano. Some of my all time favorites are pretty well known to figure skating fans - the swan, morning, vocalise, claire du lune, meditation, la campanella, rhapsody on a theme from paganini and many many more. I'm not really into country except for the occasional tune. I also like to endulge in old French hits from time to time "Paris, c'est une blonde", Josephine, Edith et al. and I enjoy french accordion music. In southern Italy it was so nice to listen to men playing the accordion on subways and on the street. One man in venice was playing on a gondola and singing so beautifully I followed the gondola for as long as I could until there wasn't a walking path on which to follow him any longer. I also love spanish style-music like the song Josh Groban sings and the music from the movie Frida.

Some of my favorite songs that I listen to over and over again: Vincent (the orignal) Don McLean
Have you ever really loved a woman by Bryan Adams
The Color of Roses, I like most of Billy Joel's songs, Eva Cassidy - I like Madonna, the beatles, simon & garfunkel

I also enjoy musicals- I'm a big fan of RENT - the entire soundtrack and Chicago, West Side Story. Love the song 'Oklahoma' and also 'Gimme Gimme' from Thoroughly Modern Millie.

Guilty pleasures - I still frequently listen to the soundtrack from 'Annie' and too many 'pop/rock' songs to list from 1950-present day.

E

eltamina

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Guilty pleasures - I still frequently listen to the soundtrack from 'Annie' and too many 'pop/rock' songs to list from 1950-present day. [/quote]

:)
"the sun will come up tomorrow":)

J

Jules Asner

I love that song:D . I think I'll have to have a listen 'TOOOOOOOOOMorrow!'

M

mathman444

I voted for clasical, but I also like early (1920s) jazz. One of my favorites is clarinetist Johnny Dodds.

Best cd: Louis Armstrong, "The Hot Sevens."

Eltamina -- About Tristan and Isolde, do you have the Stokowski orchestration ("Stokowski's Wagner," BBC Philharmonic, Matthias Bamert -- no singing)? Almost as much Stokowski as Wagner. Great music for skating, IMHO.

Mathman

J

Joesitz

Mathman, Eltamina -

Wagner - RCA - Flagstad and Melchior - Love Duet. Nothing comes close in duets. And oh is it sexy!

Joe

L

Ladskater

My favorite music is Classical - all kinds - My favorite composer is Beethoven. I find his music uplifting and inspiring. I also enjoy some opera and operetta. I love Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford as well as Charlotte Church and Josh Groban. My favorite Opera singers are Placido Domingo and Joan Sutherland. I also run the spectrum from the Beatles to Led Zeppelin and the Doors. As well, I love Celtic music - Loreena McKennitt and Scottish and Irish music.

My favorite instrument is the piano - I love Vladimir Horowitz.

I have a pretty well rounded appreciation of music.

Ladskater