Great DVD's to rent | Golden Skate

Great DVD's to rent

flying camel

Medalist
Has anyone seen any good movies out on DVD to recommend?

I saw Stranger then fiction
Gridiron gang

They were both good.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Simple list of favorites, if there are any on here you haven't I recommend them. Worth the 2nd and 3rd too IMO.

-The Jerk
-The Princess Bride
-Blue Velvet
-Eat Drink Man Woman
-Young Frankinstien
-Spirited Away
-Amadeus
-Wild At Heart
-Beauty and the Beast - diz
-The Departed
-Citizen Cane
-Finding Nemo
-The Changeling
-Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
-Spinal Tap
-Ringu
-Grease
-Trainspotting
-Apocalypse Now
-Raging Bull

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Of the ones you mentioned, love The Departed, Finding Nemo, Young Frankenstein, and Crouching Tiger........also enjoyed The Gridiron Gang. 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
if you want a light hearted family movie - Night at the Museum is now out on DVD and I adore that film (can't stand Stiller but loved him in this)

and Dick Van Dyke really steps out of his norm in the role he plays ;)

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I second the nomintion for The Departed and Night at the Musuem. Both are great movies, but don't show The Departed to any young ones, whew, theres lots of killing. I also saw Crank and really enjoyed it. It really has stuck in my head for a long time, which is surprising because I usually forget about movies within a few days of viewing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RV is quite funny...

The Producers - either the original or remake - is great

for older films I love The Philidelphia Story (Starring Cary Grant, Kat Hepburn, & James Stewart :love: ) and Arsenic & Old Lace (Cary Grant never liked the film, but I find it absolutely hysterical!)

heyang

Record Breaker
I just watched Blood Diamond and enjoyed it. I also saw Dreamgirls in the theater and it's out on DVD now - if you like Broadway musicals, you'll enjoy it for sure.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I just watched Blood Diamond and enjoyed it. I also saw Dreamgirls in the theater and it's out on DVD now - if you like Broadway musicals, you'll enjoy it for sure.

"Dreamgirls" was AWESOME! I rented it over the weekend and just loved it. J-Hud made me cry twice.
I also picked up "The Queen" with Helen Mirren and enjoyed that, too. Helen Mirren played both Queens Elizabeth last year and did a great job with both of them.
And if you want to see something REALLY bizzare but still entertaining, may I suggest "Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical"? I enjoyed this one nearly as much as I liked "Shaun of the Dead". :laugh:
Excellent suggestions from all of you. Let's all get together for movie night soon, shall we?
xoxo
Rave

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Another non-new film, that not many people seem to know about but that I love - Jakob the Liar - it stars Robin Williams and is a TEAR JERKER! It's set in a World War 2 Containment camp/Jewish Ghetto in Nazi Germany (or is it Poland, I don't remember off the top of my head). It's a beautiful story and I'm not one that normally likes that genre of film (subject, yes, genre no lol)

And for a really weird 'horror film' from 'back in the day' rent Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte - freaked me out, man!

Binky30

Rinkside
If you like "classic" (old) movies:

The Thin Man series (excellent mysteries w/a husband and wife team who seemingly can't stand each other, to great comedic effect)

An Affair To Remember (tearjerker!!)

More recent films:

Secondhand Lions
Liar, Liar (the only Jim Carrey movie I like, btw)

I can't wait to see Night At The Museum (and for "theater movies", I want to see Georgia Rule)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
can't stand Fonda or Lohan so Georgia Rule is an out for me... lol

how about some classic Disney films for some feel good types?

Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella, Bambi, Fox and the Hound, Mary Poppins...

or some of the newer ones

Pirates 1 and 2 (movie 3 is out in 2.5 weeks! EEEE!), Miracle (1984 US Hockey Team :love: ), Remember the Titans, Emperor's New Groove (just for you, Binky!), any and all of the Pixar films, Glory Road....

ok now I'm getting a bit obsessive

Big Fish, Finding Neverland, Forrest Gump....