Evan Lysacek Article | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek Article

Sounds like Evan is enjoying the good life. I wonder if the neighborhood will quiet down when Paris Hilton goes to jail. :cool:

nubka

Final Flight
A very interesting article. Thanks for the link.

That pic of him swinging a golf club high up on top of a roof makes me little nervous! He was awfuly close to the edge there...

jennylovskt

Medalist
Great article! Thanks for posting. I didn't know Evan that much, so it's great to read it. While I am not his skating fan, I do admire him as an athlete and love his attitude toward the competitions.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
ITA :no:

I don't think he appreciates the true nature of figure skating; the theatrical artistic side of it. He doesn't seem to see beauty or wonder in it. JMHO.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
He says he plans to stay in until he wins World and Olympic Gold. I guess he will be staying in the sport forever then.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Well, it IS a sport. If he wanted to be an artist he would have gone and joined a ballet company. If you are not in it primarily as a competitor, why would you be wasting the time and money required to compete at an elite level, where it is first and foremost a competition? You perform, but in a context where the ultimate goal is to place as highly as possible. I would say if you are not in it with the goal of winning, you are wasting your time. Doesn't mean you will win everything you want to, but that's the point. If you want to be an artist, there are much less expensive ways of going about it.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Well, it IS a sport. If he wanted to be an artist he would have gone and joined a ballet company. If you are not in it primarily as a competitor, why would you be wasting the time and money required to compete at an elite level, where it is first and foremost a competition?

Yes, of course it's a competition, but part of that competition is a battle of Artistry, of Creativity, of EMOTION. Not just who is the strongest or the fastest.

If you want to be an artist, there are much less expensive ways of going about it.

Artists do what they do because it is what comes out of their very being. It's not a question of "if you want to be XXX".

~Z

krenseby

Final Flight
Yes, of course it's a competition, but part of that competition is a battle of Artistry, of Creativity, of EMOTION.
~Z

You are thinking of pre-COP days... it's not really a battle of artistry, creativity, or emotion anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
He says he plans to stay in until he wins World and Olympic Gold. I guess he will be staying in the sport forever then.

I am afraid so too. I wish he could just set up this goal but not pronounce it in the public, so he won't be embarrassed if he failed.

This seems to be Tomas Verner's strategy per the new interview on GS homepage. He seems like a very classy, wise young man. (Even answering my question. : ))
Natacha (FRA): Hi and congratulations for this amazing season! You've turned out to be this year's skating revelation and have shown you are capable of beating some of the world's elite skaters. With that and the huge amount of talent you've got, I would like to know what you're skating ambitions are?

Tomas: Thanks, but I don't tell my personal ambitions to anybody, sorry. I can say only this: I try to improve from year to year and don't want to make any steps backward.

That said, I was more impressed with Lysacek in this interview than I had been. That kind of determination will get take someone a long way. We'll have to see just how far.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
You are thinking of pre-COP days... it's not really a battle of artistry, creativity, or emotion anymore!

It never was solely about that either. You've always needed the jumps. The key aspect is bringing both of them together. Lambiel beat Joubert in 2006 because of the presentation mark. Obviously, the program and performance are still important. Lysacek is a good performer and I do think he cares about having a program that looks good, but he is not concerned with being creative or interpreting music.

~Z

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Yes, of course it's a competition, but part of that competition is a battle of Artistry, of Creativity, of EMOTION. Not just who is the strongest or the fastest.

Artists do what they do because it is what comes out of their very being. It's not a question of "if you want to be XXX".

~Z

:rolleye:

Of course it's a matter of what you want to be. No one ever died because they didn't express themselves through art. There is no biological imperative to be an artiste. And this is not about art in the starving artist suffering the garret sense. It's even less about performance than dance (except dancesport, where again, the word is "sport"). It's about putting together a program most likely to place you ahead of your competition. It's all calculated, and it has to be to be done well. The 'emotion' is part of the choreography. It's not even the skater's creativity for ANY of them, unless they choreograph for themselves. (And unless you luck into a Christopher Dean or the like, that usually doesn't work out very well.) Because, again, their primary reason for being out there in elite competition is to compete, not to create--that would be why they hire choreographers and music consultants to make these decisions. And if you don't go into a competition thinking you can win and wanting to win, what are you wasting your time for? Go skate in the club show. Or go do ISI. It's cheaper and a lot less stressful, and then you don't have to worry about those nasty jumps.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
It's about putting together a program most likely to place you ahead of your competition.

Yes, exactly. And you get rewarded for programs/performances with a creative vision that interpret the music well. The people who have the desire to do that AND can master the technical aspects of skating are the ones who become remembered as great champions. If you are focusing simply on doing the moves, you will only win if the more interesting skaters mess up. And even if you do win, very few people will care 10 years down the road (unless you're very attractive + charming and therefore can turn yourself into a STAR as a result of your athletic success).

~Z

Last edited: