Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2007-08 U.S. team envelopes announced

Custom Title

2007-08 U.S. team envelopes announced

Announced today: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story...8568&type=news

Criteria for placement in the team envelope system can be found at:
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell.asp?sid=35400

"The level is primarily determined by performance in international and U.S. Figure Skating competitions during the previous year. The envelope level is used to determine funding levels. It is not used as a strict guideline for selections to international competitions."

Go NJ Devils
    And if skaters get Team A funding, the USFS can block their release for four years should they decide to skate for another country.

Resident Chinese pair nerd
    I thought Derrick Delmore retired?

Nice to see Megan Oster on the list. She is arguably, the most beautiful figure skater in all all the world. She would easily fit into that Alfred Hitchcock mould.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Nice to see Megan Oster on the list. She is arguably, the most beautiful figure skater in all all the world. She would easily fit into that Alfred Hitchcock mould.
    I can't deny it!

http://www.wwfsc.com/images/bio_ostemega1.jpg

Custom Title
    Yepeeeeeee

Poor Rachel get pused down to team C. That doesn't sound good. No doubt she wil only be skating in JGP events.

Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    Yepeeeeeee

Poor Rachel get pused down to team C. That doesn't sound good. No doubt she wil only be skating in JGP events.
    Maybe the USFS didn't like the fuss the family made in Spokane about Kimmie's scores.

Custom Title
    I wonder if team A & B will comprise the entrants for the senior GP events?

Hmmmm...I'm surprised Flatt is not higher - on the B team. I'm also surprised to see Oster on Team B and Zukowski in reserve....any thoughts?

Custom Title
    Yea, that does seem really low for Zukowski. I guess she missed the criteria for the other envelopes. But it does seem wrong. Didn't she beat oster at nationals?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by discoduck View Post
    I thought Derrick Delmore retired?
    No, If he had officially retired, he would not be listed in team C at this time. BTW, Delmore is scheduled to perform in a new skating musical called "Cold As Ice" for a month-long run starting this month -- for more info: http://www.gatewayplayhouse.com/2007/coldasice.html

Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    No doubt she [Rachael Flatt] wil only be skating in JGP events.
    That's not a bad thing. Skating in the JGP is a good way for someone young and up-and-coming like Rachael (who missed the JGP last season, remember?) to gain valuable ISU ranking points, as well as possible medals and prize money.

Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
    Hmmmm...I'm surprised Flatt is not higher - on the B team. I'm also surprised to see Oster on Team B and Zukowski in reserve....any thoughts?
    The envelope criteria was followed for these skaters -- see the criteria link posted above. Oster won the bronze at the JGP Final last December and that meets the B envelope criteria even though she placed one spot (11th) behind Zukowski (10th) at '07 Nationals.

Zukowski and Geoffry Varner were placed on the Reserve team because they were in Team B last year -- usually A & B skaters who plan to continue competing are retained in the envelope system the next year even if they do not meet the A-C envelope criteria.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-10-2007 at 02:42 PM.

Custom Title
    I don't see any problem with Rachael Flatt skating in JGP events. Look what that did for Caroline Zhang! Rachael can generate those high scores too, and win medals just as Caroline and Ashley did. The following year, when she will be eligible to skate at Worlds, she can skate in the GP.

Custom Title
    She sure can win medals at JGP. I never liked Junior competitions, but this year, the competition was non competitive. I don't see next year being more competitive. The Americans are the only one with junior talents. Japan, Russia, Canada, France, Germany, China, Ukraine have nothing. It's clear that even a mediocre one (say three triple jumps, but clean) can win a medal there. I looked at the jumps Rachael does and I must say that she would probably beat every one besides Zhang, Nagasu and Wagner (who are Americans themselves).

Custom Title
    I think Flatt could beat Wagner--in fact, Rachael beat Ashley at 2006 Nationals, Juniors, where Rachael was 2nd and Wagner was 4th.

But I think Ashley will be skating in the GP this season, so they may never meet up head to head until Nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gio View Post
    I don't see next year being more competitive. The Americans are the only one with junior talents. Japan, Russia, Canada, France, Germany, China, Ukraine have nothing.
    And you know this for sure because?

I've heard there are some promising Japanese girls (novice this past season) coming up, and perhaps one from Germany as well. The JGP is about developing and refining new talents, and you just never know who might "make a splash" in their first year...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast