New rule on hand-assisted spirals | Page 4 | Golden Skate

New rule on hand-assisted spirals

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Solaris, you beat me to it. That is indeed the "pearl" spin that Caroline coined. She gets into it by grabbing her boot in the layback spin. She then either pulls her boot in and makes the spin go faster (!) or pulls up into a Bielmann (!!). The latter I've only seen her done in exhibitions.

dosen't she call it the oyster?

Kypma

Final Flight
No, it's the pearl. There has been quite a confusion over this, but I read somewhere she said she hates oysters and called it the pearl instead. I think Peggy Fleming made the mistake first.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
How come Caroline didn't get the bonus for her "pearl" spin? If that's now part of the accepted repertoire, then next year even if she puts the pearl-into-bielmann spin into her competitive programs, she probably won't get a bonus (transition from one accepted position into another, duh). :frown: It doesn't seem fair. That's one of the most innovative spins I've seen in recent years.

But isn't it basically just an extreme layback position anyway? I don't think that she should be rewarded extra points for being flexible! Its not like the pearl is really all that creative or innovative, its just pretty much a catch-foot layback with a deeper bend. JMHO.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
But isn't it basically just an extreme layback position anyway? I don't think that she should be rewarded extra points for being flexible! Its not like the pearl is really all that creative or innovative, its just pretty much a catch-foot layback with a deeper bend. JMHO.

Yes, agreed. She should just be rewarded a very high GOE.

~Z

gkelly

Record Breaker
Yes, agreed. She should just be rewarded a very high GOE.

And so she is. At Junior Worlds, the GOEs for her laybacks were almost straight +2s in both programs; for the combination spin they were even higher, all 2s and 3s (mostly 3s in the long).