Favorite spiral positions | Golden Skate

Favorite spiral positions

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
well, it really depends on who is performing it. Michelle and Nicole both have beautiful positions, but if Kimmie trys that same spiral it dosen't look quite the same. I have to say that my favorite spiral is a full split with a back held up strong and streched. Sasha can not be beaten in this position, or any other. She owns the spiral.... lets admit it.

http://www.catslair.com/skating/1999/nationals/99n1007.html

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/cohen_sasha031031.jpg

http://home.snafu.de/eberl/knowledg...ral_cohen_sasha_usa_jwm00_sp_f_tino_eberl.jpg

morninglight

On the Ice
I really liked Arakawa's Y-spiral (is that what it's called? not sure) at the Olympics. She entered the spiral position with great speed after doing small spread eagles and some cross over skating, maintained her speed throughout the two curves, and then let go of the hand. That was really spectacular. Her height shines in a spiral position like that. I love that move even more than her famous inna bauer. Her flexibility and stretch were simply exquisite. Her edges and balance were also great.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have always loved the spiral where the lady reaches back and (some say) "supports" the spiral... I don't know why, but I find the look elegant. I don't care if it's not the hardest of spirals or not.

Also just about every position Sasha makes is brilliant...

SolarisFyre

Rinkside
With regards spirals, I could watch Katherine Healy all day. Absolutely perfect arabesque position... unfortunately I can't find any pics to demonstrate

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I also think that Sasha has and did have the most beautiful spirals. There are others that are close but she could really do this well. I loved her backward Charlotte. Absolutely Amazing!!!!

Kypma

Final Flight
I absolutely adore Sasha's spirals, but I also like Caroline Zhang's where she has her hands/arms wrapped around her free leg - kinf of like an I-spiral, except she holds her leg around her thight, not her foot. If I find a pictore, I'll post it.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I like a nice classic spiral position, and I'm not overly impressed by those that achieve extreme amplitude at the expense of deep edges and good speed. I think Carolina Kostner has a nice balance, the position is lovely and she maintains her speed throughout while keeping the spiral on a deep, secure edge. I love her change of edge spiral, too.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
...I also like Caroline Zhang's where she has her hands/arms wrapped around her free leg - kinf of like an I-spiral, except she holds her leg around her thight, not her foot. If I find a pictore, I'll post it.

I find that position to be extremely akward looking. The arms wrapped around her leg, what's the point? Just to hold up the leg? Find a prettier way to do that, there is nothing elegant or graceful or attractive about the way she does it. She is capable of hitting a lot of good positions, but that is not one of them.

passion

On the Ice
I find that position to be extremely akward looking. The arms wrapped around her leg, what's the point? Just to hold up the leg? Find a prettier way to do that, there is nothing elegant or graceful or attractive about the way she does it. She is capable of hitting a lot of good positions, but that is not one of them.

Hm. When I first saw Zhang doing that position I thought it looked really neat, but the angle was from her backside. In the pic posted by the poster prior to yours I agree that the position is not attractive. She does look like she is showing off her you-know-what to the world. BTW, that position she does is WAY harder than just grabbing her skate to do it. It takes way more strength to get the leg up. Even if you have the flexibility to do a 180 degrees I-spiral, it does not mean you can do her position at 180 degrees. I tried and failed miserably. She makes it look so easy. BTW, she' s so tiny yet so strong. Where are her muscles that allow her to do such amazing moves?!

passion

On the Ice
A position that is extrememly difficult is a spiral with your body completely vertical and the leg at 90 degrees (or more if you can get it higher). That position is much more difficult than the spirals where the torso is dipping down which every skater does. Why don't we see that particular position? It requires more strength than when you dip your body forwards.