IFS magasin... QUAD-GIRLS | Golden Skate

IFS magasin... QUAD-GIRLS

S

Spree2spree

IFS magasin... QUAD-GIRLS

I've just got my new IFS magasin..i read it throw and they've made a ltop-25 list "Most Influential Names in Figure Skating 2002-2003". I was amazed when i read about this Japanese girl, Miki Ando, who did a quad salcow at the junior worlds and became second.. i didn't know that female skaters at age 15 did quad jumps...i really do think that last years gold, silver and bronze -medalist will get some competitions when she becomes a senior next season!..;)

do you know who came first at the junior worlds (female)..did she do quads too?.. is there other female skaters who does quads??...

in the magasine theres also an article about plushenko, who will try to have quad lutz in his program next season...interesting!...VERY interesting:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

S

sk8ing lady2001

Re: IFS magasin... QUAD-GIRLS

I don't mind seeing quads as this is a sport. Though the jumps are important, I believe the artistry and presentation should be taken very seriously. ;)

M

mathman444

Spree, I think that Miki Ando is the only lady who has landed a quad in competition. Yukina Ota is the World Junior Champion. She did not do a quad.

Quite a few of the young Japanese ladies are trying triple Axels and difficult triple-triple combinations. They are poised to be a force in the sport for years to come.

Mathman

J

Joesitz

Spree - The day is coming for the Ladies of the Quad!! We've been expecting it. We are also expecting more broken hips (I do hope I am wrong about that).

Ms Ando does indeed have a quad salchow and at fifteen she has time to develop her presentation and with the new scoring system coming in favoring the technical, we are talking about the Oly Gold in Torino.

(But keep your eye on Beatriza Liang.):)

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker

I don't think 15 year girl is fully matured yet. Hope she'll retain her quads after the puberty growing.

There is reason why the first 3A (Modiri Ito), first pair quad twist (Z&Z?), first quad are all complete in Junior Worlds.

J

Joesitz

Mzheng -

<em>There is reason why the first 3A (Modiri Ito), first pair quad twist (Z&Z?), first quad are all complete in Junior Worlds</em>.

You make an interesting point. Juniors is where the bar is raised.

Joe

T

toutestgrace

Joesitz-

<em>Juniors is where the bar is raised.</em>

And Seniors is where the orthopedic surgeons make their money.:eek:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re:

toutestgrace -
<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>And Seniors is where the orthopedic surgeons make their money[/quote]

LOL. Too funny.

Edited in responding to still.
I actually agree the statement. My only hope is that all these little 3a, quads girls don't jump themself to surgeons' table like tara did years ago.

S

stilldizzy7

Quads

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And Seniors is where the orthopedic surgeons make their money

It would be funny, that is, if it wasn't true.

The happy note is that perhaps the artristic part of skating will win out, after all!

Dizzy

L

LAVENDER

Re: Quads

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>And Seniors is where the orthopedic surgeons make their money[/quote]

Initial response is that I laughed out loud but it is true. I'm not that excited with girls (who haven't hit puberty) doing quads. Let's wait until they turn Sarah's age and see if they change just like she did.

mzheng

Record Breaker

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Let's wait until they turn Sarah's age and see if they change just like she did. [/quote]

For asia girls you may add another couple of years in general they are matured later. May be something related to diet habbit, etc.

T

thvudragon

weren't Gordeeva and Grinkov the first to do a Quad Twist... wait, maybe not, but some soviet pair.

Ahhh, it was Marina Cherkasova/Sergei Shakhrai!

TV

M

mikitan

Midori was 19 years old when she landed 1st ever ladies 3A in competition.

Probably confusing her 1st ever 3-3(age 12) and 3A.

Miki Ando's 1st ever (ratified) quad was done in Junior Grand Prix Final in Dec 2002.
She was barely 14 back then.

S

sk8tngcanuck

quads

"Juniors is where the bar is raised."

That quote is in reference to 3a and quads. I would just like to point out that the 3 a was successfully landed over a decade ago, and, unlike the quad in mens competition, it still has not become a necessary jump for the ladies to win the gold.

When a male skater goes to Worlds without a quad, he knows his chances of winning are almost impossible, the same is not so of the 3a in ladies competition.

Is it possible the quad will follow the same path?

Canuck

M

mikitan

Re: quads

"When a male skater goes to Worlds without a quad, he knows his chances of winning are almost impossible, the same is not so of the 3a in ladies competition.

Is it possible the quad will follow the same path?"

I think it will come but takes 5-20 years.

------------------------------------
The jumping history
Men:
Timothy Goebel landed 1st quad sal in 1998.
Yevgeny Plushenko won 2003 Worlds without it.

Kurt Browning landed 1st quad toe in 1988.
Todd Eldredge won 1996 Worlds without it.

Vern Taylor landed 1st triple axel in 1978.
Scott Hamilton won 1984 Olympics without it.

Donald Jackson landed 1st triple lutz in 1962.
Robin Cousins won 1980 Olympics without it.

Ladies:
Miki Ando landed 1st quad sal in 2002.
Midori Ito landed 1st triple axel in 1988.
Michelle Kwan won 2003 World without it.

Denise Biellmann landed 1st triple lutz in 1978.
Jill Trenary won 1990 Worlds without it.

Jana Mrazkova or Petra Burka landed 1st triple sal in 1959 or 1965.
Dorothy Hamill won 1976 Olympics without it.

3Lutz had taken long term to be standard for men skating.
Then men skating moved to 3axel era in short term.

3Axel have been taking long term to be standard for ladies skating.
It will likely ladies skating move to quad era in short term.

I think following is possible for ladies skating.
In 2006, one 3a or quad is necessary to win.
In 2010, 3a and quads is necessary to win.

J

Jaana

Robin Cousins did not have a triple lutz or he did not jump it in the 1980 Olympics? I have forgotten... I do remember though that he did not have a triple axel.

Marjaana

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:purple;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:medium;">I don't think the 3 axel or a quad will ever be a requirement to win gold.</span>

T

toutestgrace

I don't think quads or 3axels will ever be seen with any consistency in ladies' skating due to the unpredictable nature of women's body types. Young male skaters with good jumping ability usually can tell whether or not they're going to retain the narrow hips needed for quads as puberty proceeds. Unless a young female looks at her mom or older sisters, there is no way to predict if the slender preteen is going to get curvy or muscular or what as she gets further into elite skating. BUT that still means that any young teenager who's practiced her quad/3axel can dethrone the seasoned skater who's having a less-than-brilliant performance. The little girls know this and they're counting on it. So, yes, it may be necessary to win gold if you want to storm the ranks of the elite.

J

Joesitz

toutesgrace - Good post. But, I am afraid ladies will go after the quad if necessary (because there will be some who are capable of executing it) and serious injuries will be prevalent.

As Rosanno said the Kwan Presentation Mark will be minimized.

Joe