Anything on Dubreuil and Lauzon ??? | Golden Skate

Anything on Dubreuil and Lauzon ???

chania36

On the Ice
Hi, I would like to know if you had any news about them, are they coming back next year to try again for the gold ??? It was said that they are going to skate till 2010....

I just hope they do, they are so much better then before since they have change and went to train in Lion, it is so sad that they made a mistake in the original dance, because the 1. something point lead they had after compulsive, they lost there, if not, they would have been world champion, I think that this will make them more stronger and will come back with a bang... A program that will take our breath away again....

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting. Now the Matthews/Gislason picture comes in a little clearer. With D/L gone this season, and Skate Canada having 3 places for dance, both W/P and M/G would have a chance to show what they could do at Words. Maybe Skate Canada figured M/G could maybe do somewhat better than W/P (20th last year), since Matthews placed 16th with Zavozin in 2006.

But since the USFS won't release Matthews, it is not to be. With V/M and W/P competing at 2008 Worlds, there will be only 2 places for Skate Canada at Worlds 2009 and both W/P and M/G (if Matthews is released by then) are out of luck. For 2009-2010, M/G would be eligible only for Worlds, not for Vancouver.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Maybe Skate Canada figured M/G could maybe do somewhat better than W/P (20th last year), since Matthews placed 16th with Zavozin in 2006.

But since the USFS won't release Matthews, it is not to be. With V/M and W/P competing at 2008 Worlds, there will be only 2 places for Skate Canada at Worlds 2009 and both W/P and M/G (if Matthews is released by then) are out of luck. For 2009-2010, M/G would be eligible only for Worlds, not for Vancouver.
If V/M hold even next season, they will be 5th (4th if Denkova/Staviyski also retire or take the year off), meaning that the second team from Canada must place at least 8th (or, at best 9th) in Goteborg to earn three spots for the pre-Olympic season. While Matthews/Gislason would likely place higher than the 20th Weaver/Poje placed, it is unlikely that they'd make a top nine finish, bypassing all but one (or all, if DenSta stay in) of Chait/Sakhnovski, a healthy Pechelat/Bourzat, the Kerrs, Gregory/Petukhov, Faiella/Scalli, and Khoklova/Novitski.

Khoklova/Novitski and Davis/White have a decent chance of beating Virtue/Moir next year as well.

Whether M/G or W/P compete with V/M in Sweden, the likely outcome is the same: two spots for Canada in 2008-9, with the potential return of Dubreuil/Lauzon and Virtue/Moir earning back three for Vancouver. Without D/L in the mix, three spots for Canada in Vancouver is a pretty long shot.

Matthews/Gislason might be eligible for Vancouver should there be three spots, as exceptions can be made in Canada for residency and citizenship requirements.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The major roadblock for M/G is that they train in Delaware, which makes it impossible for Morgan to fulfill even the minimum two-year Canadian residence requirement.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was wondering that myself. I am glad to hear that they are not heading for retirement quite yet. I really have high hopes for them for the Olympics. They will be missed next season, but the newbies derserve a chance to prove themselves!!!!

gio

Medalist
I was wondering that myself. I am glad to hear that they are not heading for retirement quite yet. I really have high hopes for them for the Olympics. They will be missed next season, but the newbies derserve a chance to prove themselves!!!!

But D/L want a gold medal at Worlds! After two silvers! Next year could be their last chance.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
There are standard exceptions in determining residency for working for a Canadian company (as well as living with a spouse outside Canada). CIC caseworkers have a lot of leeway, and may be able to interpret the residency requirement loosely to include training under Skate Canada's auspices outside of Canada.

The two-year requirement is to retain permanent residency: as a PR, one must be resident in Canada for two out of every five years, unless qualifying for an exception, including "hardship" exceptions. The standard requirement for applying for citizenship is having been a resident for three of the last four years (which allows people to travel outside Canada for personal reasons during that time.)

Antilles

Medalist
D&L might find themselves much lower on the totum pole after sitting out one year. Other teams could pass them by. I'm sure they'll enjoy a less stressful year, though.

This makes dance rather interesting for next year. It might help V&M, since there won't be another Canadian team placed ahead of them.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
They may spend a year watching to see what V/M's PCS look like before making a final decision to return.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What it will mean is that Canada will have only two ice dance spots for Worlds 2009, and if D/L ultimately do decide to retire, only two for Vancouver and Worlds 2010.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Dubriel and lazon might come back for the olympics... It's not that far fectched an idea... but i would not be surprised if they just retired and started a family. What beautiful children they would have. :love:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I seem to recall in one interview they said they did not plan to have any children.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is what they are saying now, but I am sure it will all depend how they feel at the end of their 'year off'. Once a couple has gotten out of the deep training habit, it is very difficult to get back into it. I have heard that they are buying a condo in Montreal, so it appears they won't be going back to France to train. So it appears they will not only be taking a year off, but they will probably have new coaching if they decide to continue on.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
I think that they are done. IIRC there was speculation that they would retire after Torino. I think that they are a wonderful team and couple and I wish them well.

russell30

Final Flight
Dubreuil and Lauzon IMO need to compete next year to try and hold their ranking and also IMO could be gold medal favourites. I would like them to change their mind and go for a world title rather than an olympic medal because I am worried they will lose their position, but anything can happen and drobiazko and Vanagas came back after a 4 year gap and took the bronze at euro's and 4th at worlds, but as many people have said other couples could take over them by the time they return, but D/L in their favour will come up with a excellent routine with exceptional lifts and flow for the olym season. But if I was there coach. I would say lets try another season, better program, different lifts and get the gold medal and improve their OD which tends to let their point advantage slip. IMO if they did win gold I am sure they will retire on a high note and then go on to tours as reigning world champions and get married etc -do people agree that this is the more better route for them!!!!

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I agree with Russell30. They should stick it out one more year and become World Champions and then retire with that honor. They are just letting the younger teams get better and better and then the Olympics will be a total dissapointment for them. They are not getting any younger and I think that they would be the favorites this coming season for gold. Too much time will go by without them training as world class athletes.