World Team | Golden Skate

World Team

flying camel

Medalist
Yea, I know its early but I'm bored. Lets have some fun. Who do you think will make the US World Team next year and why do you think so? The only restriction here is that the skater has to be old enough to compete at senior worlds, sorry no Caroline, Mirai or Rachael love.

Here's mine for ladies:

1. Kimmie - I don't see her missing a spot this year. She is defintely our leader. I just hope to see her keep improving. We all know she can jump. I just want to see her improve those spins and spiral positions. I hope she chooses some better music and keeps challenging herself.

2. Bebe - I just have a feeling this is finally going to be her year. I think this may be her last chance to make a world team. I know she wants it. I think she will be the most improved skater this coming season.

3. Ashley Wagner - I love the newcomers. I don't think she will be denied. She seems hungry.

I just did ladies but feel free to add the other disciplines.
:yes:

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the top 2 again will be Kimmie and Emily, who will hold onto that 2nd spot by her fingernails even though she's at college (2008-2009 is another matter). The third spot is totally up for grabs, and Liang, Czisny and Wagner will be pushing for it, but don't count out Kahle and Cannarozzo. 2008 may be the last and only chance of one of those ladies to get to Worlds once Zhang, Nagasu and Flatt become age-eligible.

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think the top 2 again will be BeBe and Emily, who will hold onto that 2nd spot by her fingernails even though she's at college (2008-2009 is another matter). The third spot is totally up for grabs, and Liang ... .

Did you mean Kimmie as one of the top 2, or, are there other "Bebe"s (or Liangs) who might compete at Nats?

I think Kimmie will make it, but I am not so sure about Emily.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
are we just doing the ladies predictions? there's more to the world team than that ;)

Ice Dance:
Tanith & Ben, Melissa & Denis, Merlie & Charlie

Men:
Evan Lysacek, ________ , _________ don't know yet lol

Pairs:
Brooke & Ben, Probably Rena & John (we still have 2 spots, right?)

Ladies:
Kimmie, Emily, ________ ?

Men - Stephen Carriere will be among the three.*

Pairs - McLaughlin and Brubaker will be one of two Pairs*

Dance - Davis and White will come very close to winning Nationals and be part of the world team*

Ladies - Although she will be 4th at Nationals Bebe will go to Worlds in place of Zhang. If Hughs can't get out of School, Czisny will be in Gothenberg.

Remember, you read this here, FIRST!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love McLaughlin/Brubaker, but they are in a whole other league this year. They will not only have to do triple jumps (they did only doubles last year), but they will also have to upgrade their throws to triples (still doing only double throws). Without the upgrades, they will have a tough time beating out I/B, C/O, NN/L and V/T at Nationals.

gio

Medalist
Just the USA team?

Ladies
USA - ALISSA please!!:love: , Kimmie, Bebe
Canada - Rochette, Phaneuf/Hawker
Italy - Caro and Vale
Russia - Martinova
Finland - Poykio, Korpi, Vahaama/Lepisto
Switzerland - Meier
Japan - Mao, Miki, Fumie
China - Binshu
Korea - Yuna

Men
Japan - Takahashi, Oda
Russia - Plush
France - Joubert, Preaubert, Contesti?
USA - Lysacek, Weir, ???
Canada - Buttle, Sawyer, Mabee
Switzerland - Lambiel, Othman

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I love McLaughlin/Brubaker, but they are in a whole other league this year. They will not only have to do triple jumps (they did only doubles last year), but they will also have to upgrade their throws to triples (still doing only double throws).
McLaughlin/Brubaker did the throw triple salchow last season (SP & FS). Skaters usually train the elements they need to train in order to be successful at their international level, and I'm sure M/B and their coach know what they need to do to be competive among the senior pairs, both nationally and internationally.

R.D.

Record Breaker
folks are predicting BeBe but time after time again she falters in the FS after having a solid SP. I can't see how this is going to change for her, unless others do worse.

Czisny- got lucky this year and surprised most of us with a basically-solid freeskate. I don't think it's going to happen again next year. But it's between her (IMO), Katy and BeBe.

Meissner/Hughes are lock-ins- well maybe just Meissner. My only concern is we'll send our weakest team and we'll be down to two spots for LA Worlds.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I love Bebe, but i think that she has had her chance again and again placing well after the short and then blowing it in the free. Emily is somewhat of a question mark with her ivy leauge acceptance letter.... and the finals falling the week beore natioanls. She might make third. I hope that Alissa Joins Kimmie on the Podium again.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I hope that Alissa Joins Kimmie on the Podium again.

Same here, but capitalize, bold, italicize and underline that HOPE. Not as in HIGH hopes, but to emphasize hope over EXPECT or PREDICT. (IOW- it's not happening but I hope it somehow does)

Last edited:

krenseby

Final Flight
Just the USA team?

Ladies
USA - ALISSA please!!:love: , Kimmie, Bebe
Canada - Rochette, Phaneuf/Hawker
Italy - Caro and Vale
Russia - Martinova
Finland - Poykio, Korpi, Vahaama/Lepisto
Switzerland - Meier
Japan - Mao, Miki, Fumie
China - Binshu
Korea - Yuna

Men
Japan - Takahashi, Oda
Russia - Plush
USA - Lysacek, Weir, ???

As for Martinova, I have a feeling that she is going to make it to Russia's Worlds Team. You see, Arina may flub the Nationals and not even medal there, but she'll always win the Valentin E. Piseev skating championships ;-) Why? Because she's the only one competing in them.

Kypma

Final Flight
Just the USA team?

Men
Japan - Takahashi, Oda
Russia - Plush
USA - Lysacek, Weir, ???

Canada only has two spots for men next year at worlds... sorry to break your bubble.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Meissner/Hughes are lock-ins- well maybe just Meissner. My only concern is we'll send our weakest team and we'll be down to two spots for LA Worlds.

As to the slots at Worlds, according to
http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/rules.shtml
(answer #10),
it will be as follows for the ladies:

USA............. 2 (one down from 07)
Russia......... 1 (one down from 07)
Korea........... 2 (one up from 07)
Switzerland.. 2 (one up from 07)

So for USA, Meissner, Hughes?, and no newcomer,
for Russia, Sokolova?, and no newcomer,
if I've mistaken, please let me know.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought the limit was 13? Meissner was 4th and Hughes 9th...unless they changed it (or it's exactly 13)? I think the US still has 3 for next year :scratch:

satorare

Match Penalty
Yes, the US ladies have three spots.
Saved by only 0.08 points. I don't think this is a luck.

sorcerer

Final Flight
I thought the limit was 13? Meissner was 4th and Hughes 9th...unless they changed it (or it's exactly 13)? I think the US still has 3 for next year :scratch:

I'm sorry I made a simple mistake in remembering the placement of Emily. Forgive me. :bow: