A Little Blade Advice! | Golden Skate

A Little Blade Advice!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I think it has very good information on buying blades. Paying more for skate blades doesn't necessarily mean it is better for you. Look at what level you skate at and choose the blade based on that. No need to over pay.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
That is what I was thinking as well - plus, Geoff I am sure knows what he is doing. But I over-payed, got skates over my ability, and wonder???? Maybe "test-drives" or something? But I am not "dissatisfied." Sometimes people may even feel better about the purchase if it costs more (mental thing) so their confidence COULD be helping as well. JAT.

I wonder how much of it is relative to the individuals "thinking" and not just ability.

I think she is creditable with all of the info she provides about skating. After all it is Jo Ann Schneider Farris - two time US gold medalist, Colorado Collage graduate....:bow: It also has some great links to other info there.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Well, for dancers or synchro skaters the article's basically useless, but overall...meh. I say get a good skate-fitter, and follow their advice. I technically have blades "above" me--Wilson SuperDance 99s--and they're just fine.

megsk8z

On the Ice
I don't think it's a crime to be overbladed if you're an adult. I have Phantoms (which I didn't see mentioned in the article either, grrrrr) and that's what I had when I was a kid. I love them. So I kept them even when it became fairly obvious that I was never going to get that triple Anything. Obviously you don't want to put a beginner in anything with a sincere toe pick, but even when one is learning to skate a modicum of quality matters. And yes, there is such a thing as a "cheap" beginner boot.
Boots are another matter. Overbooting is somewhat common in the area I skate; little Susie must have the *best.* And then they wonder why little Susie can't walk right when she gets older. Most of what he said was fairly accurate; everyone has an opinion on bootfitting and what works for one skater may not work with another.