Favorite Choreographer | Golden Skate

Favorite Choreographer

flying camel

Medalist
Based on the routines weve seen who would you say is the best at choreographing a skaters routine? I was just thinking I don't see great choreography anymore. I use to love Sandra Bezic's choreography, she did some great routines for Kristi Yamaguchi & Brian Boitano. Did she retire? But I just don't see routines that are memorable or fill you up with emotion. Is it the skater or is it the wonderful COP that's the problem?

I think I may end up liking Mark Mitchell. I actually did like Emily's short this year and I liked Julianna's choreography. I hope he works with some others to see if he can work some magic for some other skaters. Who do you guys like best? Are there some top choreographers we don't know about?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I too have always loved Sandra Bezic - especially her Singing in the Rain and Casablanca programs for Kurt Browning. I also like another Canadian choreographer - Lori Nichol, but my absolute favorite Canadian choreographer is David Wilson who does Jeff Buttle's programs and has also done D&L's dance programs.

Sandra took some time off for awhile, but as far as I know she is involved in choreography again.

As far as great choreography and emotions go - I would say David Wilson is the best. Just watch Jeff Buttle's programs on Youtube and you will see what I mean.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I love a lot of David Wilson's stuff. Sasha's R&J was done by him....

But I always thought tha Sarah Karahawa has done some really intersting and very good work for Bebe... i am surprised that more skaters do not use her. I would. I think that she has some of the most original programs out there.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Thanks for that too, so happy to have you share with us!

Anyhoo, could I decide? David must be awsome for those routines mentioned are some that stand out as choreographed well to me - normally doesn't happen as a stand out, but D/Bs a so definitively well choreographed it stands out.

I must say Lori - at the same time I think "my lord she is still so pretty :love:" - she ALSO has some of my favorites but wonder about timing of jumps in LPs just missing the bonus due to there placement. Maybe necessary due to skaters, but does leave me wondering??? - I love what she did with Taylor.

Kurt, I would say the verdict is still out. While I still learn more about this aspect I think he is still gaining here too. I love what he does for himself and others, but the "legacy as a choreographer" ???? Is it to soon to say??? He is so many wonderful things in FS, he is the Kurt.

And Alexander, Sandra, Sergei, etc ... and dual coach / choreographer Nikolai! ??? How can I decide with such little knowledge???

I can't decide.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i almost forgot to add Tataina Terosava. I think that she has done great work with a lot of good skaters, her footwork sections that she did with sasha and yagudin are the best in history. :bow:

i almost forgot to add Tataina Terosava. I think that she has done great work with a lot of good skaters, her footwork sections that she did with sasha and yagudin are the best in history. :bow:
But that footwork was Morozov's, working as Tarasova's assistant, right?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Chris Dean
Lori Nichol
Sandra Bezic
Sasha Zhulin
Sarah Kawahara (mainly her stuff with Scott)

in that order :)

Zanzibar

Final Flight
But that footwork was Morozov's, working as Tarasova's assistant, right?

Yes, technically a lot of that credit should go to Morozov, who also selected the music and began conceiving the program with Alexei one night before TT even approved the now legendary piece by Bond.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
Seeing as my fave program is Johnny's swan I guess I'd have to say Tarasova is my fave choreographer.

But, whoever did Lambiel's Flamenco LP is fabulous. That was probably my fave mens skate at worlds in terms of choreography.

layman

On the Ice
I am bored with the current group of choreographers. It's so easy to tell a Morosov program or a Wilson program or a Nichol program...(and others). I wish the skaters would broaden their horizons to work with choreographers outside this small group.

A friend of mine is a dance (modern and ballet) choreographer and I asked him if he would consider working with Johnny Weir (he said that he would).

I just want the skaters to have some fresh, original ideas when it comes to choreography rather than work with the same group of choreographers all the time and end up with cookie-cutter programs.

flying camel

Medalist
I am bored with the current group of choreographers. It's so easy to tell a Morosov program or a Wilson program or a Nichol program...(and others). I wish the skaters would broaden their horizons to work with choreographers outside this small group.

A friend of mine is a dance (modern and ballet) choreographer and I asked him if he would consider working with Johnny Weir (he said that he would).

I just want the skaters to have some fresh, original ideas when it comes to choreography rather than work with the same group of choreographers all the time and end up with cookie-cutter programs.

Totally agree with you. That is why all the routines are starting to look similiar. I guess it is hard to change choreographers when you are scared you are going to loose points. But some skaters need to take some risk.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Some, but not all, routines by Tarasova and Morozov.

Plus, Denis Petukhov as a newbie in the field.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
But, whoever did Lambiel's Flamenco LP is fabulous. That was probably my fave mens skate at worlds in terms of choreography.

ITA. Terrific program, and whoever choreographed it reined in Lambiel's tendency to get a bit strange at times.

Lori Nichol would have to be my favorite; she consistently does terrific work with a wide range of people. I also like LeaAnn Miller. Uschi Keszler used to do great stuff with Brian Orser; does she work with anyone at all anymore?

I like the stuff Kawahara has done with Bebe, but beyond that I consider her to be a bit over-rated. Then again, she has said in the past that working within the "amateur rules" or "eligible rules" or whatever they're calling them these days, she tends to find too confining, so she's probably done her best stuff with the pros, very little, if any, I have actually ever seen. She did do a nice job with Pang & Tong this season.

Christopher Dean also comes up with terrific stuff, but that's practically a given, considering all the fantastic things he came up with during his skating career with Jayne Torvill.