Video Thread 5: HDTV Edition | Golden Skate

Video Thread 5: HDTV Edition

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hey,

Been a while since I last did this, but I found some time recently...I bought one of those things that allows you to watch and record HDTV on your computer. Now I'm trying to find the optimum format to save videos in (to share, etc.) I recorded Jay Leno's comedy routine in HD last night...stunning quality but the filesize...just over a gig for the whole 7 or 8 min. piece :eek: Storage is not a problem for me though- have like three or so external drives.

I may upload some samples later on...warning: you need a relatively up-to-date computer (I'd say not older than about 2.5 years) and some room on that computer ;)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
That is superb for a screen capture :agree:
I know I directed you to Stage 6 site, and will point out that Fumie's (of course who else would I bring up:laugh:) Gala at Eric D-B was in HD and was 151.9 mb in 1280x720. I assumed they used Divx, but can't say for sure. The downloaded file was a .mov. ???? I was surprised it wasn't a Divx.

And what is this "...2.5 years old comp necessary..." gibberish ;) :laugh: Mine is past the 9 year mark and doing just groovy.:p
J/K I understand what you mean. My processor is still slow but not having any real issues. *knock knock* Just have to wait a little longer.:cool:

R.D.

Record Breaker
yeah...I switch between Divx and Xvid. Let me see if I can upload part of that Leno vid.

I also have a scene from the View and from the ABC show Boston Legal (two shows I never watch, but recorded segments just to experiment with HD). I might upload one or the other...look out for it soon

The Leno vid is encoding now. It's in full 1080i HD and will take quite some muscle from your computer to play- it doesn't always play smoothly on my comp (2GHz Pentium M/1 GB RAM)

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
It's in full 1080i HD and will take quite some muscle from your computer to play- it doesn't always play smoothly on my comp (2GHz Pentium M/1 GB RAM)
:agree: Quicktime I always have some jitter problems with in vids Higher than 640 res - sometimes with vlc too. So my work around is a temporary import to iMovie HD and it plays just fine. Not sure why It makes a difference????

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, it's one of those that recorded "improperly" - i.e. I chose the wrong setting.

Long story short- can't post the Leno vid. Maybe that scene from BL will have to do. it's 120MB.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Well, it's one of those that recorded "improperly" - i.e. I chose the wrong setting.

Long story short- can't post the Leno vid. Maybe that scene from BL will have to do. it's 120MB.

Just as long as it isn't the View.:p

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I recorded the intro to tonight's Leno and here's the vid. It's full 1080i HD, 34MB, ~ 37 sec.

I used the Xvid codec @ 7.5 Mbps. Chances are if your comp. is slower than mine, it won't play...I even have trouble at times getting it to play (typically when something else is running). But when it does, it's pretty nice.

http://rapidshare.com/files/31956382/Leno.avi

(click on Free, and wait for the link to show up)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Downloaded it and imported to iMovie and it played fine fps - even the quick pans in and out on the band, Branford. No issues at all, but there is no sound. Looks great in full screen mode - played smooth and clean in full screen. Quicktime is jittery playback though.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hey, you must be missing the AC3 audio codec. That's the sound...it's 5.1 channels as well ;)