Copyrighted material | Golden Skate

Copyrighted material

Linny

Final Flight
Rumor has it that the reason that the Animal Channel did not broadcast the World Cub dressage freestyles was due to copyright infringement with regard to the music.

Why doesn't figure skating have this same problem?

Linny

Teenes

On the Ice
My understanding, and mind you I don't have a very good understanding, is that generally the network pays blanket music rights, which the skating broadcasts are covered under. My guess is the Animal Channel hasn't done that, partly b/c they don't usually need to, and probably weren't willing to pay the music rights fees to do the broadcast.

CBC often either doesn't get the rights or isn't willing to pay them, so their pro skating broadcasts, at least, often have some cheesy muzak-ed version of the music instead of the actual song the skater used in the show.

discoduck

On the Ice
CBC often either doesn't get the rights or isn't willing to pay them, so their pro skating broadcasts, at least, often have some cheesy muzak-ed version of the music instead of the actual song the skater used in the show.

I have noticed that especially when they broadcast CSOI. I wondered what was going on there.