JGP assignments and SGP speculation | Golden Skate

JGP assignments and SGP speculation

flying camel

Medalist
There finally out for the juniors. As some of you expected Mirai & Rachael are skating. Surprising that they have Juliana in juniors. Isn't she like 18?
www.usfsa.org

Last edited:

netnuts

Match Penalty
caroline zhang

It looks like Caroline Zhang is going to do senior grand prix.

'Skate America' and 'Cup of China' are my bet.

Nigel

On the Ice
It looks like Caroline Zhang is going to do senior grand prix.

'Skate America' and 'Cup of China' are my bet.

We suspect Ashley Wagner will be in the SGP pool as well. Not so sure about Oster...she might get a Senior B, as well as Kahle. Little surprised by Juliana in the JGP..thought she might get a nod to the SGP as well.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cannarozzo is 17. Since she is 46th on the ISU Ranking list and 51st on the Season's Best list, she would have had little chance of getting even one GP invitation. The JGP is her best bet to move up on both lists for next year.

netnuts

Match Penalty
We suspect Ashley Wagner will be in the SGP pool as well. Not so sure about Oster...she might get a Senior B, as well as Kahle.

This is NOT good news for other fading senior skaters such as Bebe, Alissa, Katy etc.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oster is guaranteed a GP invitation due to her bronze JGPF medal. Wagner has both a JGPF medal and a Junior World medal and she will get at least one GP invitation (maybe 2).

Czisny and Liang are each assured of getting at least one GP invitation, as they were both in the top 24 of the ISU World Rankings. Czisny was also in the top 24 of the the Seasons Best list, so she will probably get two invitations.

Kahle will probably have to settle for a "B" International again, and Katy Taylor may find herself in the same position.

flying camel

Medalist
That is not the total list. It is just a peliminary. We may still see Caroline in the second half of the list.

Some good competitions, imo:

Lake Placid;

Kanalakan - Mabanuzadabh - Steenberg (Men)
Hubbel and Hubbel (Dance/

Romania

Bulanhague - Hughes (Ladies)
Halverson - Rippon (Men) (Rippon is my pick for the 2010 Olys)

Vienna

Flatt - Musademba (Ladies and a big one here)
Mroz (Men)
Samuelson and Bate (Dance)

Estonia

Cannarozzo - Rosenthall (Ladies)
Oi - Razzano (Men and a big one here)
three pair teams -??
Gilles and Mckiernan (Dance)

Will the americans get mosly gold? Just watch and see what happens.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
flying camel, I think it's a safe bet that Caroline Zhang will be on the Senior Grand Prix this fall (along with Ashley Wagner, Megan Oster, etc.).

Some stats I've compiled...

[Note: I’ve included JGP Final (JGPF), U.S. Nationals (S=sr., J=jr., N=novice) and/or Jr. Worlds (JW) placements from 2006-07 in parentheses.]

Lake Placid, New York (Aug. 30-Sept. 2)
Tommy Steenberg (JGPF-6, S-14), Austin Kanallakan (JGPF-8, J-3), Armin Mahbanoozadeh (N-1);
Mirai Nagasu (J-1, JW-2), Alexe Gilles (J-5), Angela Maxwell (N-1);
Jessica Rose Paetsch/Jon Nuss (JGPF-3, J-3), Bianca Butler/Joseph Jacobsen (J-2), Meg Byrne/Nate Bartholomay (J-6), Amanda Luchau/Andrew Speroff (N-5);
Madison Hubbell/Keiffer Hubbell (JGPF-1, J-2, JW-6), Pilar Bosley/John Corona (J-6), Sara Bailey/Kyle Herring (N-2).

Miercurea Ciuc, Romania (Sept. 6-9)
Eliot Halverson (J-1, JW-10), Adam Rippon (J-6);
Melissa Bulanhagui (JGPF-4, S-12), Chrissy Hughes (J-6);
Shannon Wingle/Ryan Devereaux (J-5), TBD.

Vienna, Austria (Sept. 13-16)
Rachael Flatt (S-5), Kristine Musademba (N-2);
Brandon Mroz (JGPF-2, J-2, JW-4), Richard Dornbush (J-8);
Emily Samuelson/Evan Bates (JGPF-2, J-1, JW-wd), TBD.

Tallinn, Estonia (Sept. 20-23)
Curran Oi (JGPF-5, J-4), Douglas Razzano (J-5);
Juliana Cannarozzo (JGPF-7, S-7), Blake Rosenthal (J-4);
Kaela Pflumm/Christopher Pottenger (JGPF-5, J-4), Chelsi Guillen/Danny Curzon (J-8), Shantel Jordan/Steven Elefante (S-15);
Piper Gilles/Timothy McKernan (J-4), TBD.

Added to the RESERVE team envelope: Rippon, Bosley/Corona, Byrne/Bartholomay, Guillen/Curzon, Jordan/Elefante, Luchau/Speroff.

This will be the first JGP experience for: Flatt (well, technically her second after she had to withdraw from the Mexico City JGP last year), Nagasu, A. Gilles, C. Hughes, Maxwell, Musademba, Dornbush, Mahbanoozadeh, Byrne/Bartholomay, Guillen/Curzon, Jordan/Elefante, Luchau/Speroff, and Bailey/Herring. :)

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
What does it mean "added to the Reserve Team"? They only get one JGP?
No, it just means that the skaters I listed did not originally qualify for one of the team envelopes (A-C) but will be added to the Reserve team envelope now that they have been assigned to a JGP. If any of them medal in their JGP, then they will be promoted to the Team C funding envelope. And they could possibly get a 2nd JGP assignment IF they place high enough in their first JGP and there are still open slots.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm assuming that the TBD dance assignments will be made based on the results of the Lake Placid dance competition (Aug 1-4).

flying camel

Medalist
There seems to be a good chance the Caroline will not only be doing SGP's but that she will probably show up at Skate America. I was kind of hoping she would stay in Juniors at least internationally. There is so much pressure once you get to seniors.

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Caroline is a tough cookie, she'll be ok in GP. She had a couple of tough skates at National's (though even there, I was impressed by how quickly she recovered each time she did fall), and came right back with more drive/determinational at World Jr's. :clap: I am really excited that we might see her at Skate America! I can't wait to see her up against the senior ladies, including Kimmie, Yu-na, Mao, Mik, etc. I'm eager to see whether she'll put out some 3-3's next year -- she doesn't have the most amazing height on her jumps, but she does have wonderfully tight air positions and fast rotations, as well as good flow out of most of her jumps. Given how much she cleaned up her under-rotation last summer, I wouldn't be surprised if she came back in the fall with yet another leap in her jumping techniques. ;)

The more I think about it, the more I think it might be a good idea for Skate America to invite Ando (if available), to skate against Kimmie, Alissa and Caroline. That way they could advertise the 2005 World Champion against the 2006 World Champion, and still save the showdowns against Asada and Kim for later in the season.

netnuts

Match Penalty
I'm eager to see whether she'll put out some 3-3's next year -- she doesn't have the most amazing height on her jumps, but she does have wonderfully tight air positions and fast rotations, as well as good flow out of most of her jumps. Given how much she cleaned up her under-rotation last summer, I wouldn't be surprised if she came back in the fall with yet another leap in her jumping techniques. ;)

She's busy with practicing 3flip+3toe these days, and it's getting clean. Don't quote me though, those are just second-hand information.

Caroline will be fine. She will not be expected to win SA and little girls do not get butterflies until they have won a big one. If she wins SA then the butterflies will be there for the next competition.

MM- ABC would use that suggestion but at the start of the scheduled program. Unfortunately, ABC was never much to publicize skating events much. I don't think ABC pubicizes any of its Sports. Maybe on ESPN. Don't know.

What NBC does remains to be seen. But excellent idea to boost interest in FS.

Joe

flying camel

Medalist
The more I think about it, the more I think it might be a good idea for Skate America to invite Ando (if available), to skate against Kimmie, Alissa and Caroline. That way they could advertise the 2005 World Champion against the 2006 World Champion, and still save the showdowns against Asada and Kim for later in the season.

I could be wrong but I think Emily will get invited over Alissa. They may even seen Wagner over her. I think the USFSA wants to at least have a chance at medals. As much as I love her skatings Alissa is just not competitive.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I think Emily will get invited over Alissa. They may even seen Wagner over her. I think the USFSA wants to at least have a chance at medals. As much as I love her skatings Alissa is just not competitive.
If Emily skates SA against Kimmie and Miki, then it most likely that Emily will get a bronze at best.

The object of the GPs is to get to the GPFinal, and that means only gold and silver medals will get you there, unless there is a gold and bronze combined where the highest finish will break a tie against two silver medalists.
There are easier GP venues to get the silvers and with the Asian Ladies (one each in each venue, bronze will mean nothing.

Regardless of what others say, trust me, there is strategy here for the Fed Heads to ponder.

Joe

gkelly

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by flying camel

If Emily skates SA against Kimmie and Miki, then it most likely that Emily will get a bronze at best.

Of course the field one happens to be competing against matters, and that's where the strategy side that Joesitz is so interested in comes in. And so does how each skater happens to skate at their GP assignments.

Still, historically, only one of the current US ladies medalists has ever qualified for the GPF in the past, and it wasn't Kimmie or Emily. :)