Michelle hosts new Disney "Sports Dreams" show on Asian TV | Golden Skate

Michelle hosts new Disney "Sports Dreams" show on Asian TV

There is a great post on the MK Forum from TV guy "Joseph2004" who was involved in the development and production of the show, to be shown in various markets in Asia. The premise is to spotlight children aspiring to succeed in sports and life.

http://www.mkforum.net/forum/showpost.php?p=289461&postcount=21

Here's a quote about the wrap dinner, at which the poster sat next to Michelle:

"Believe me, I was trying VERY HARD to get some gossip out of her; I wanted to know what she felt about Tara, Sarah, Sasha, Irina, break up with Frank Carroll etc., etc. I SOOOOO wanted to know more about her planned long program for 2006; I wanted to know which long/short programs of her own that she liked the most….. BUT, let me just tell you this, everything comes out of Michelle’s mouth "was simply “textbook diplomacy”! She is genuinely, and simply, a very kind person. She only had good things to say about everyone, and always full of compliments..

"I tried!"

:laugh: That's our Michelle! :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
well, cool to hear from one of the show's producers. But still, what was he thinking? MK's so tight-lipped, you wouldn't get a thing out of her even if you "interrogated" her. :laugh:

P.S. another reason why I think she'd be a poor choice for commentator...but who knows

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
.....everything comes out of Michelle’s mouth "was simply “textbook diplomacy”!
Some might not think that is such a great thing, “textbook diplomacy” doesn't sound all that approachable.:laugh: But what else would you expect. She probably would just say something nice and P.C. about the other girls in competition. Glad to see her working with programs like this. No surprise though, her good nature and Disney - match made in heaven:agree:

I would love to be in "Joseph2004" 's shoes:love:

Yes, although the relation between this Asian Disney production company and the parent company seems to be a little complicated.

tully

Rinkside
These days, I'd be downright paranoid (if I were a celeb), to speak my mind to anybody. Lest they be a blogger, or board poster.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks Mathman. Any news on Michelle is a good read for me.

capcomop

Rinkside
Ah the perversity of the public.
Kwan gets criticized for her politeness. She is too "tight-lipped" and "unapproachable." She has no future as a commentator.
Imagine what might happen if she had said something even remotely off the mark from pure about another skater! She would be burned alive.:rofl:

gio

Medalist
It would be great to have her as a commentator. She will have a good word for every skater. :clap::thumbsup:

It would be great to have her as a commentator. She will have a good word for every skater. :clap::thumbsup:
I agree. :agree: I don't know where this idea came from that mean and nasty = interesting or entertaining. (I blame Simon Cowell.)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Ah the perversity of the public.
Kwan gets criticized for her politeness. She is too "tight-lipped" and "unapproachable."
Where did you get that, I didn't hear anyone criticize her for it, but some could take it that way. Is that what you think, that she is / was?

I think the "criticism" has mostly been along the lines of, oh, Michelle is boring, she never says anything except blah-blah pablum. If only she were more outspoken like Johnny Weir, that would be a good thing for figure skating.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
If only she were more outspoken like Johnny Weir, that would be a good thing for figure skating.
:laugh: Like Johnny eh? Well I wonder what that would be like?:laugh:

Anyhoo, the comments about her "commentating" I see - valid matters of opinion.*shrugs*

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree. :agree: I don't know where this idea came from that mean and nasty = interesting or entertaining. (I blame Simon Cowell.)

I think it's good to strike a balance between the two. In the case of AI, Paula is the "nice" one, Simon's the "mean" one, and Randy's sort of in between. But that doesn't mean Paula doesn't offer constructive criticism (usually in the early stages in Hollywood) from time to time, and it also doesn't mean Simon doesn't have a nice compliment to offer from time to time.

I think the "criticism" has mostly been along the lines of, oh, Michelle is boring, she never says anything except blah-blah pablum. If only she were more outspoken like Johnny Weir, that would be a good thing for figure skating.

While I don't see her as the most entertaining discussion partner (but who knows? I'm just guessing), I do think she gets by just fine the way she is. In fact, because of her new position it might be much better for her to be completely PC and give off the PR vibe. Not a knock against her- it's definitely a good thing in her position- but I'm just saying that that isn't what you want in a commentator- especially a "color" commentator. You want to be free to make any comments you want as long as they are within reason (i.e. not a "Don Imus" comment).

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
Kwan is no dummy. She knows that anything she says, especially to a fan or member of the media, can end up on the net within an hour. And she's had years of experience of reporters attempting to goad her into saying something off-color about her competitors so I doubt the person who wrote the report would be able to pull it off.

mirai_asada

On the Ice
I watch the Sports Dreams, and I found it to be ok. Just ok. With every episode Michelle would end by saying, "Have you found YOUR sports dream?"

krenseby

Final Flight

Actually, I remember one time when Michelle was very outspoken. It was during 2004 Worlds when she got a time deduction. She called it silly. I think that's not to be taken lightly. Skaters who are PC do not criticize judges and say that whatever the judges decide stands. Kwan in that case did.

By the way, I am sure there were lots of other moments where she came out with a non PC statement.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I saw that as sorta slapping herself for doing it- discounting it as a "silly" mistake on her part, in other words. I don't think she has ever come out and said anything out of the ordinary (well, I think she cracked in one interview and actually said she wanted to win some competition).

Anyway, as an envoy, she's definitely in her comfort zone and I think it will definitely work out well for her.

Crizzy

Rinkside
Well, I'm glad Michelle is media savvy. A lot of countries already hates the US, last thing we need is a female Johnny Weir as an envoy. :biggrin: Being controversial is overrated.;)