Miki's improvement in artistry | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Miki's improvement in artistry

morninglight

On the Ice
I was really impressed with Miki's presentation in her LP at Skate American last year but she did not do as well after that. Her Tokyo presentation was just standard and not all that impressive, imo.
Joe

Joe, what did you find more impressive in her presentation of her LP at SA last year, compared to her Tokyo presentation? Could you elaborate a little bit more?

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Joe, what did you find more impressive in her presentation of her LP at SA last year, compared to her Tokyo presentation? Could you elaborate a little bit more?

I'm not Joe, but I feel the same way that he does.
I loved her performance at SA in the LP because even though the program isn't exactly a masterpiece as far as choreography goes, she had so much passion throughout the performance. Seeing her dramatic gesture right after the final double axel gives me chills. In contrast, at Worlds she looked much more tentative and didn't seem to have the same power in her presentation. Rather than skating the enthrall the crowd, she seemed to be skating with a checklist in her head.
Her SPs have been excellent all season IMO.

morninglight

On the Ice
I'm not Joe, but I feel the same way that he does.
I loved her performance at SA in the LP because even though the program isn't exactly a masterpiece as far as choreography goes, she had so much passion throughout the performance. Seeing her dramatic gesture right after the final double axel gives me chills. In contrast, at Worlds she looked much more tentative and didn't seem to have the same power in her presentation. Rather than skating the enthrall the crowd, she seemed to be skating with a checklist in her head.
Her SPs have been excellent all season IMO.

Thanks for your post. I see. Perhaps, she had more speed in SA than in Tokyo. She looked more tired (both physically and mentally) in Tokyo after the long season.

Somehow I personally have felt that Mendelssohn required exquisite line and graceful moves in addition to maturity. So I have felt that the LP music and choreo were not the best choices for her (though SP matched her so well).

But perhaps being passionate and strong might be another way to feel the music.

Last edited:
ML - I think its Miki's attitude when she takes the ice. In Skate America, she was not expected to win and Mao had already skated, Kimmie came back from the depths of the SP to skate extremely well in her Tech. Miki came on last and with unusual brilliance brought the house down.

In Tokyo she was expected to give Mao high competition. She really didn't, imo. Her LP looked to me, quite standard - just enough to keep up her on top to win. There was no brilliance this time. Perhaps her presentation is determined by the nerves since expectations were to be very high in Tokyo.

For Sweden, she has to get herself into a Kat Witt mold since she's up against not only Mao on the Tech side but YuNa on the Presentation side. I believe the PCS scores will determine the winner in Goetenberg. Both Miki and YuNa have good tech and should be slightly behind Mao in that area, and the PCS will spell the difference. Just my look at this.

Let's study the three during the GPs. I'm sure they'll meet in the Finals, too.

Joe