Advise for Rollerblades | Golden Skate

Advise for Rollerblades

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Any advice for practicing with rollerblades? Particularly with jumping? I thought this would help me get a "real ratify able" jump of a full rotation, but if anything I am just getting hotter and pavement does in most falls hurt me worse than on ice. A little advice might help me.:bow:

sorry about the misspelling in the title ;) Well maybe not - a grammatical error I 'spose, can anyone "advise" me??? :laugh:

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Any advice for practicing with rollerblades? Particularly with jumping? I thought this would help me get a "real ratify able" jump of a full rotation, but if anything I am just getting hotter and pavement does in most falls hurt me worse than on ice. A little advice might help me.:bow:

sorry about the misspelling in the title ;) Well maybe not - a grammatical error I 'spose, can anyone "advise" me??? :laugh:

The only advice (that is what you meant - right?) that I can give for rollerblading is WEAR LOTS OF PADDING AND PROTECTIVE GEAR!!!! Landing on pavement is a lot more painful than landing on ice - one does not slide. Take it one step at a time and practice, practice, practice.

PS - one of the best rollerbladers around is Kurt Browning. He can do anything on rollerblades just as he does on figure skates. The guy is amazing!!

Wolfgang

On the Ice
There's some 'icy' things you can practice on 'blades, some you can't.

The main problems are the lack of slide already mentioned, which could lead to some very gnarly road rash or worse, and the fact that most of todays' inlines do not have toe picks/stops.
They used to make a doohickey you could mount to the sides of the skate using the axle bolts, giving you a toe brake, but I haven't seen that in many years.
You could also try old fashioned roller skates ('quads' as they are now called), which to some extent actually behave more like ice skates than inlines do, they have toe stops, but it'll take a while to get used to that clunky feeling of having Tonka trucks strapped to your feet.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
..., and the fact that most of todays' inlines do not have toe picks/stops.
They used to make a doohickey you could mount to the sides of the skate using the axle bolts, giving you a toe brake, but I haven't seen that in many years.
:agree: Yep, you have to look for this and do remember a post a year ago that had a thiner wheel width and a toe stop standard on new ones - I believe the post and a accompanying video were from Russia.

Now I can't agree with the 4x4 rollers, they are very heavy and the way the "truck" / axle react... well I just don't feel a similarity as much as roller blades. But rollerskates are what taught me how to go backwards.:agree: