Craig Buntin and Meagan Duhamel - Your thoughts? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Craig Buntin and Meagan Duhamel - Your thoughts?

feraina

Record Breaker
If you go to Meagan's webiste: http://www.meagan.skatetoday.com/main.htm
she says in one of her journal entries that she realized she had to devote all her energy on one discipline if she really wanted to go far, and that it was a hard decision, but she decided to go with singles, as that's always been her first love. She was very nice about it wrt Ryan, but I can't help feeling like if he had been a more suitable/competent partner, that she might've decided otherwise. In fact, from her decision to move to train with Craig, we can pretty much conclude that.

You can also see her photos, as well lots of videos.

She's only 4'11 and 110 lb, and totally fearless (from her previous clips with Ryan), so I think she and Craig will have no problem with the lifts! She learned two hard lift positions with Ryan in her very first season of pairs, and it must've taken real guts to be lifted by someone who looked so unsteady!

nadster

Final Flight
Well Meagan has had experience as a pair skater. I wonder what happened to her other partnership?

I don't think she was going to go anywhere with Ryan Arnold. The lifts and death spirals were quite shaky. Ryan Arnold does not have the best upper body strength. They pretty much had to make up the points on the throws and side by sides ( triple lutz and salchow) .

I think she will fair much better with Buntin. The main issue is if they can match their lines ( she isn't that flexible ) but otherwise Buntin will be a much steadier partner.

Craig is a terrific half of a Pairs team. No doubt about that. I wished he could have found a lady with not so much 'rush' in her skating. But, while they have time (for the Olys) this may work out. Hopefully. I think the world of him as a Pair partner - very solid and kind of a danseur noble. Like Zhao, not selling the tricks, just making them part of the program.

Joe

Melody

Rinkside
They'll be great!

Knowing both Craig and Meagan, they will work hard and do whatever it takes to mesh as a pair. In terms of flexibility, Val told me that working with Craig helped her flexibility immensely. I am sure that they both have strengths that they will share with each other.

I look forward to seeing them compete together. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for Meagan to be healthy!

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Meagan is so excited about pairing up with Craig, she said the the tryout went really smooth and that they fit together well. I was very disappointed to hear that Craig & Val had split, but I am very excited to see Meagan & Craig together, I like them both very much as for anything Meagan may lack right now, she may not as time goes on with Craig... I'm sure they will help each other and become a great team! :) I am really looking forward to seeing them together!

Kypma

Final Flight
Kind of random, but... where does this pairing up come from? It's been on the board for a while, but I haven't seen any 'official' news... would anyone have a link to an article or something?

Thanks!

Kypma

(And on this issue, I've finally decided that I'll see when they compete whether the pairing suits me or not...)

TRAxel

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I heard this info from a very reliable source, I don't think there has been an official announcement made as of yet... but it is indeed true.

Boo67

Rinkside
Next to the podium, Buntin & Duhamel !

Okay, guys - first off, Meagan is NOT 110 lbs, I can guarantee you that !
Second - back off of the negativity please, and be excited for them! The strengths that these two amazing skaters both bring to the table is tremendously exciting for our skating community. Meagan and Ryan were the first pairs to complete side by side triple lutz's in competition, Canadians '05 in London, the sky's the limit being partnered with Craig, the former Canadian pair's champ !
I can't wait to see the result of this dynamic duo's hard work, cheers to them, this is a match that will put us on the podium in Vancouver, without a doubt !
xoxoxo - lots of love to them both ! from Meagan-knows-who !

Thanks for the post, Skate Coach, and welcome to Golden Skate. Post often, post long. :)

(Sorry it took a thread with some negative twists to bring you aboard, LOL.)

netnuts

Match Penalty
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/news_views/press_room/news_releases/2007/jun7.cfm

“One of the first things Meagan said when asked if she wanted to skate with me was ‘I’ll do whatever it takes.’ Many skaters say that but few back it up the way Meagan has since moving to Montreal,” said Buntin. “I feel like I’ve found somebody who wants this as badly as I do. It feels so great to be the underdog, the dark horse, and I know we’re going to come out strong this year. Meagan is a very quick study, she’s a joy to work with, and we’re both extremely excited for the road ahead.”

“I feel very honoured to have the opportunity to skate with Craig. It came as a big surprise to both of us, but we were ready to accept the challenge and do whatever it takes to be the best we can be,” said Duhamel. “Craig’s passion for skating is evident in everything he does, and his work ethic is second to none. I am very excited to have found someone who shares my drive for skating and I am looking forward to working with Craig and the team of coaches here in St. Leonard.”

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meagan's feet and ankles have been a chronic problem for her over the years. That will be the main drawback for this pair, as the throws have far more impact on the feet and joints than singles jumps do.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Meagan is a first-rate competitor... a fighter, with a desire to WIN! Teamed with Craig, I agree with skate coach, these two will become a winning duo! :clap:

netnuts

Match Penalty
A new article

This new article provides some inside of their pairing process...
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderp....html?id=618df656-d320-4b6d-bfa8-6541a81e0100

The opportunity has had its effect on Duhamel.

"It's phenomenal, unbelievable," Duhamel exclaimed shortly after a training session Thursday. "I couldn't imagine it being any better. I didn't imagine it would be like this. I am so overwhelmed.

"Literally, in three hours I dropped the life that I had and moved to Montreal. I didn't even talk to my parents or my coach. I just said, 'Yup! I'll be here.' "

The pairing happened quickly.

Duhamel approached her coach, Lee Barkell, about asking Buntin's coach, Richard Gauthier, for a tryout.

"At first I didn't tell anybody (about the idea) because I thought people might think I was crazy," Duhamel said with a laugh.

At the time, Buntin, 27, was in full-throttle search mode.

"I'd gotten to a point where I thought, 'OK, I'm going to try out with as many girls as possible.' I had just finished driving about 3,000 kilometres all around Canada and the U.S. skating with anybody that I could, just in case, and on the way back, I gave her a call and said, 'I heard you were interested, let's give it a shot,' " said the Kelowna, B.C., native.

So far, so good?

"So far, so amazing. I can't believe how quickly she's picking this up and how good she is. She's really a diamond in the rough."

I love to be able to train with someone else every day, and to share that drive and that ambition with someone is an amazing feeling. I like to be lifted and I'm pretty fearless," she said.

Just three weeks in, the pair is already sniffing around for competitions.

The plan is to compete with their first program at an invitational competition this summer.

Buntin said they'll be ready.

"Once we finished all of our elements, all the lifts, all the throws, all the jumps, it occurred to me that we would have no technical issues that would be hampering us. It just came down to how hard we were willing to work at becoming a top team in the world," he said. "I am blown away with how hard she works and I am blown away with how quickly we are improving. In a lot of ways, we already look like a top team."

They seem to be quite ambitious. I think technically they will be quite fine especially sbs jumps, throws etc. I am not so sure about their matching line, style though.

It will be interesting to see how they will fare vs. D&D.

Tigger

Final Flight
Well, the first time we'll get to see them is Skate Canada. I'm of course speaking about those of us not able to get to a summer invitational.

I can't wait and am so happy they found each other. I have a very, very good feeling about this pair!! :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd have to see them in competition before declaring them the next Sale / Pelletier.

rain

Record Breaker
My first thought is that they seem very opposite style-wise. However, you just never know until you actually see a team together on the ice what it's going to look like. I wish them the best of luck. They seem like they are both really competitive personalities who want to go out and win.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
and they have both said they clicked right from the beginning... are very complimentary of one another, and excited for the potential they themselves see in their pairing.

I think they are going to shock many folks!