Thread: ISU Publishes 2007 - 2008 Season Schedule

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar

ISU Publishes 2007 - 2008 Season Schedule

10 - 14 Oct. 2007 - US Figure Skating International Challenge
    Ladies, Men, Pairs, Ice Dance(Invitational) TBD, USA

7 - 8 Dec. 2007 - US Figure Skating International Challenge

Full Schedule here.
    Last edited by visaliakid; 05-29-2007 at 06:24 PM.

I presume this is Campbells and Marschalls.

Competition? or a Parade of American Skaters?

Joe

Custom Title
    I assume calling it a "challenge" rather than a "showcase" means competition.

Down With It
    I assume NBC will also cover those two events.

The link you posted is messed up...here's a fixed version

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/pa...v-list,00.html

Also, the word "international" means they might throw in a couple of Canadian skaters as well. Maybe even bring in Asada or Ando if they want a serious competition. Looking at the dates, we might also get live coverage.

I just hope they don't do that vote thingy again...but somehow I think that was ESPN's idea.

Notice how the first one is five days long and the second one is two days long? These might be full-fledged competitions with SPs and LPs. I think last year Campbell's and Marshall's were both only a single day of exhibition skating.
    Last edited by R.D.; 05-29-2007 at 04:30 PM.

Or does "challenge" mean "audience-voting-for -their-favorite-over-the-Internet?"

Last years' Campell's was actually pretty good. The Japanese ladies' team had Mao Asada, Miki Ando and Mai Asada, and the men were Takahashi, Oda and Nakaniva.

Dubreille and Lauzon and Virtue and Moir represented Canada in dance.

If they can match that lineup I won't be disappointed.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by visaliakid View Post
    10 - 14 Oct. 2007 - US Figure Skating International Challenge

7 - 8 Dec. 2007 - US Figure Skating International Challenge

Full Schedule here.
    What we won't be having Campbells and Marshall's anymore just becasue ABC isn't doing it anymore? Wierd. Neither link works......

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Or does "challenge" mean "audience-voting-for -their-favorite-over-the-Internet?"

Last years' Campell's was actually pretty good. The Japanese ladies' team had Mao Asada, Miki Ando and Mai Asada, and the men were Takahashi, Oda and Nakaniva.
    It also brought Cohen out of pseudo-retirement. She said she wants to attempt a come back. This might be exactly what she wanted.

Dubreille and Lauzon and Virtue and Moir represented Canada in dance.

If they can match that lineup I won't be disappointed.
    I wonder if they'll turn it into a sort of "US Open" to match the Japan Open they had this past April? Who knows.
    Last edited by R.D.; 05-29-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Since they are both listed by the ISU as "International Challenges," I think that means that they do have to feature skaters from more than one country.

In the past, sometimes a cheesefest received the "international" designation on the ISU site, then later it was changed to a "national" event if the sponsors changed their minds and featured only U.S. skaters.

RD - Cambells and Marshalls are very BIG conglamerates, and they would not sponsor these unless they were LIVE which they always have been for years.

Haven't a clue which network will show them. Does anyone know for sure that NBC will show them or is that just another speculation?

In the past, sometimes a cheesefest received the "international" designation on the ISU site, then later it was changed to a "national" event if the sponsors changed their minds and featured only U.S. skaters.
    Yesterday 11:26 PM
    That's been the situation in the past few years. Some European skaters wont come without a big stipend. And for this year, I believe the Asian Ladies will also request a big stipend. Who else is training in Canada or the US?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Who else is training in Canada or the US?
    Elene Gedevanishvili! The Asada sisters, Yu-na Kim, Miki Ando, the Canadians... At least the ladies event could be quite good.

Down With It
    Haven't a clue which network will show them. Does anyone know for sure that NBC will show them or is that just another speculation?
    Well, it has to be NBC (or an NBC-owned cable network) since that's the network that the organization partnered with. I don't think they have anything to do with ESPN any more. If the USFS wants something televised, NBC would be the network they will work with (I think an article mentioned there was flexibility in the contract to create 1-day invitational events).

ETA: the clause from the USFS page:

Besides Skate America and the U.S. Championships, the partnership between NBC and U.S. Figure Skating also includes options to create other one-day invitational events during the season, such as last year's Campbell's Cup.
    Last edited by R.D.; 05-29-2007 at 10:00 PM.

RD Thanks for that bit on the contract for one day invitationals. You seem to be a defender of NBC and all it stands for. I don't know why you care about them so much, but I hope you are right. I know all media is interested in money and so I just don't share such caring. 4 Months to Campbells; 5 Months to SA. We'll see.

Joe

Down With It
    You know, I'll say I'm excited to see what happens. But until the TV schedule comes out and the first broadcast airs, we simply can't know for sure what it'll be like. It could totally suck. We could find ourselves reminiscing(sp?) the days when skating was on ABC and ESPN. OTOH, it could end up being a successful move for both organizations. The fans hardly ever win in cases like these. A good point is the NBA. ABC/ESPN is horrible at televising NBA events, and several bloggers and internet folks share the same feeling. NBC and CBS had noticeably better coverage back in the day. However, the move makes the NBA a lot of $$ so more than likely they will stick with those broadcasters.

The reason I'm optimistic about the network switch is that I think ABC/ESPN has already done their part to denigrate the skating product by showing few skaters and lots of commercials, uninformative fluff pieces and delaying event coverage by sometimes as much as two weeks after they occurred. Frankly, I'm hard-pressed to figure out how NBC could do any worse. Then again, you can't please everybody. There WILL be people writing to them to complain about their coverage- it will happen with any network. What I wish to see in a broadcast may be exactly what you don't want to see.

But hey, Tanith is optimistic about it too
    Last edited by R.D.; 05-29-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Wish it returns to old time style. I am bored of cheesfest and phonevote.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast