Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Pearl spin invented by a Korean?

The Pearl spin invented by a Korean?

I just saw a clip of this S. Korean skater (Ji Eun Choi) on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H7SKJq5le4

Never heard of her before, until I saw a comment under one of Caroline Zhang's youtube videos that Ji Eun Choi has been doing "the pearl spin for a long time." Indeed, Ji Eun Choi does the pearl spin here (and in other videos) and even morphs it into a Bielmann. Can't find anything earlier than 2006 4CC on her, nor any video on Caroline before summer 2006, and so can't verify the claim that JEC has been doing the "pearl" longer than Caroline, but it's conceivable if only because Caroline is so young and hasn't been skating that long! Can it be that Caroline and the rest of us have overlooked this amazing Korean spinner because of her consistently low placings (beautiful spins & presentation but poor jumps)??

I thought it was called "oyster spin".

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    No, it's the pearl. I believe Peggy Fleming got it wrong the first time, and the error stuck. Caroline herself prefers the Pearl.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kypma View Post
    No, it's the pearl. I believe Peggy Fleming got it wrong the first time, and the error stuck. Caroline herself prefers the Pearl.
    I read somewhere that Caroline's mum had it/wanted it copyrightes under the name auster spin

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra_persch View Post
    I read somewhere that Caroline's mum had it/wanted it copyrightes under the name auster spin
    Is copyright a registrable IP right ni the US?

Ant

Is there any figure skating position that is truly new? I bet some kid strapped deer antlers to his boots a thousand years ago and did an oyster.

Tripping on the Podium
    Even the Beillman Spin was not invented by Denise Beillman. She's merely the one who popularized it. Same with Zhang.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    yeah... it was called the oyster until Peggy for some wierd reason called it the pearl and i guess the name stuck! I liked the oyster better. Becasue that's what it looked like.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    yeah... it was called the oyster until Peggy for some wierd reason called it the pearl and i guess the name stuck! I liked the oyster better. Becasue that's what it looked like.
    I think that from what I recollect - and can check videos later - the "oyster" was around already and a "few" skaters (thinking / recollecting that Chio was mentioned as the "Korean skater" who was doing the oyster but not named her by sir name), and when CZ started this she put her head back further - "in middle of the "oyster" - and renamed / or newly named it due to the slight variation - the "peal" because of where her head is during. Peggy WAS calling it the Oyster and was corrected / questioned by Terry (remarking they would speak to her later and ask). Later in booth while interviewing Mirai and Caroline, Terry or Kurt asked and she clarified SHE (Caroline) calls it the pearl.

They were also commenting during there discussion it was not a "totally new but a variation" and I believe used the Bielmann as an example of how they get these names associated with "elements."

Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Even the Beillman Spin was not invented by Denise Beillman. She's merely the one who popularized it. Same with Zhang.
    That's true, there's actually a clip on Youtube about a Russian skater that was the first to do a Biellmann (in the 1970s or so, I think). Denise's is better though, haha.
    Last edited by doubleaxel; 05-30-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleaxel View Post
    That's true, there's actually a clip on Youtube about a Russian skater that was the first to do a Biellmann (in the 1970s or so, I think). Denise's is better though, haha.
    That's not just any Russian skater, it's Tamara Moskvina.

And it was the 1960s.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post

And it was the 1960s.

wow. i never thought of that tint old lady doing a belliman.... it was actually very pretty. I like that way she grabs her toe instead if her heel the way m ost skaters do! thanks for the post!

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    wow. i never thought of that tiny old lady doing a belliman....
    Can you believe, even Dick Button used to skate!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    I think that from what I recollect - and can check videos later - the "oyster" was around already and a "few" skaters (thinking / recollecting that Chio was mentioned as the "Korean skater" who was doing the oyster but not named her by sir name), and when CZ started this she put her head back further - "in middle of the "oyster" - and renamed / or newly named it due to the slight variation - the "peal" because of where her head is during. Peggy WAS calling it the Oyster and was corrected / questioned by Terry (remarking they would speak to her later and ask). Later in booth while interviewing Mirai and Caroline, Terry or Kurt asked and she clarified SHE (Caroline) calls it the pearl.

They were also commenting during there discussion it was not a "totally new but a variation" and I believe used the Bielmann as an example of how they get these names associated with "elements."
    Can you give any references/links as to the existence of "oyster" as a recognized spin prior to Caroline? Or did you mean that people were doing it, but it didn't have a name, "oyster" or otherwise? Anyway, I can't find anything via google. I just rewatched the ESPN clip of Caroline's nationals LP:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6UVivxT1mg

Peggy says at the end "And now here's a position that she invented and calls the 'Oyster' in this layback spin..." I do remember their discussion in the interview booth later where Caroline said no, I don't like oysters, I call it the "pearl." But I don't remember anything about this being a variation and not totally new.

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    During the portion of the Pairs and IceDance coverage on ESPN, after showing both Caroline and Mirai's Junior Champion free skates, the two were on set with both Terry Gannon and Kurt Browning. Browning mentioned that Flemming incorrectly called the spin, the Oyster. He then asked was that correct? Caroline laughed saying Oysters were disgusting... and that no, the name of the move was "The Pearl."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast